C-MAX Fuel Mileage. What are you getting?

robertlane

While cheap and easy extra MPG would be pretty cool.  I would be bothered by the look of the tape at the front just because I get nit picky with small details and I'm sure my girl friend would hate it as well.

RaPieR  I am working on a very nice and simple installation using Lexan. Most people won't even notice it. What you are looking at is a proof of concept to see if anyone is interested. I'm still looking for someone to try it out to see if they get the same results.

3400 miles on my C Max so far. About 24 miles of my 27 mile daily commute are on the highway, and here is what I've observed:

(original/current)

55 MPH = 54-55 MPG 

65 MPH = 42-44 MPG

75 MPH = 35-39 MPG

Overall, my mileage has slowly been creeping up - I'm getting about 2-3 MPG better on the highway now than I was when the car was brand new. That may be the break-in, or my driving, can't be sure, but I'm a hybrid driver for the last 10 years so I think it's probably some of both.

I don't watch the city mileage as much any more - as others have noted, city- and below-50-MPH driving are not problem areas for this car. It's only the highway numbers that see the big drop-off.

So far I'm greatly enjoying our new car. She is quiet, smooth, and well-mannered. Oh, and kind of fun to drive.   :wub2:

Your results seem to be consistent with what I've seen posted elsewhere.

55 MPH = 54-55 MPG 

65 MPH = 42-44 MPG

75 MPH = 35-39 MPG

Thanks for posting the results.

Edited by Maximus

interesting to read the comments here...

looks like Ford fudged the numbers.. quelle surprise?  C Max is a 39 mpg car which is still great but not 47 mpg as advertised.  based on fuelly numbers ,comments here on the forum and CR.  I also noticed on all the youtube videos while the reviewer was saying 47 mpg about 50x the reading on the dash was often in the 30's for the cmax and fusion hybrid.. so I saw this coming.

I was going to get a Kia Optima but after checking into a kia forum this past summer, a lot of folks were complaining about the mpg not being as advertised so I passed.. and glad I did.

I wound up buying the Prius.. and get 49 mpg real world.. using power mode getting on highways etc.... driving normally...  best i got in city driving in LA was 74 mpg from Beverly Hills to Venice.  but before I bought it, I checked to see if the epa numbers jived with the experience of members of a prius forum and they did. these are the numbers you find on fuelly also.  how CR got their results 9 mpg less than advertised for the prius I have no idea.. but it doesn't mess with my experience or fuelly.  in any event it's not 50 mpg as toyota advertises either, off by 1 mpg.

in any event I like the C max concept, better HP and Li battery tech.. just a big disappointment that it's a 39 mpg car!!!  hopefully Ford will improve their tech and get the mpg up!

buyer beware.. always check the forums and independent sources for confirmation of any claims.  it's a good start for Ford, but I am going to wait to see what their next gen gets mpg wise and battery longevity wise before I consider buying one.

interesting to read the comments here...

looks like Ford fudged the numbers.. quelle surprise?  C Max is a 39 mpg car which is still great but not 47 mpg as advertised.  based on fuelly numbers ,comments here on the forum and CR.  I also noticed on all the youtube videos while the reviewer was saying 47 mpg about 50x the reading on the dash was often in the 30's for the cmax and fusion hybrid.. so I saw this coming.

I was going to get a Kia Optima but after checking into a kia forum this past summer, a lot of folks were complaining about the mpg not being as advertised so I passed.. and glad I did.

I wound up buying the Prius.. and get 49 mpg real world.. using power mode getting on highways etc.... driving normally...  best i got in city driving in LA was 74 mpg from Beverly Hills to Venice.  but before I bought it, I checked to see if the epa numbers jived with the experience of members of a prius forum and they did. these are the numbers you find on fuelly also.  how CR got their results 9 mpg less than advertised for the prius I have no idea.. but it doesn't mess with my experience or fuelly.  in any event it's not 50 mpg as toyota advertises either, off by 1 mpg.

in any event I like the C max concept, better HP and Li battery tech.. just a big disappointment that it's a 39 mpg car!!!  hopefully Ford will improve their tech and get the mpg up!

buyer beware.. always check the forums and independent sources for confirmation of any claims.  it's a good start for Ford, but I am going to wait to see what their next gen gets mpg wise and battery longevity wise before I consider buying one.

Thats interesting because in the same Consumer Reports test you site the Prius missed EPA combined by 6 mpg. The Sonata (same as the Optima) actually got closer to EPA than the car you bought?

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/12/video-tests-show-2013-ford-fusion-c-max-hybrids-dont-live-up-to-47-mpg-claims.html

Edited by darrelld

Hello Everyone:

I am a new C-Max owner and former owner of three Prius's (2004, 2008, and 2010).  I have yet to use a quarter tank of gas and am getting an average mpg of 44 in Pinehurst, traveling between 30 and 45 mph for the most part.  Like many, my initial mileage was lower, but by resetting the lifetime trip meter, my new numbers have steadily increased from 40 - 44mpg average.  Two of my shorter trips today had me over 50mpg, and my new lifetime average for the last 60 miles has been right at 48mpg.  I believe my former experience with a hybrid car may contribute to a better braking score and hence the mileage I am experiencing.

What is really interesting to me is how responsive the car is with such little throttle input.  I rarely have the throttle depressed more than 1/8th of its throw.  When you need to accelerate, the power is certainly there!

I know it is early, but I am very encouraged by my early results, especially  after reading the Consumer Reports article.

The most incredible improvement over the Prius, however is the comfort of the ride and especially the seats.  I could not conceive of driving my trade-in for more than an hour, and now look forward to a longer trip in the C-max.

Great job, Ford

Edited by GaryK

that's why you have to check out the forums and fuelly... btw.. I also noticed a lot of folks using premium gas?  my results have been consistent from the first day I drove it on regular gas (CA blends) not sure what difference that makes.. currently have 10k on the car.

I think the electric plugin C max is a better option and will get much better mpg for obvious reasons.. .. since the electric Li battery should be better at getting the extra no gas miles so to speak... 

Thats interesting because in the same Consumer Reports test you site the Prius missed EPA combined by 6 mpg. The Sonata (same as the Optima) actually got closer to EPA than the car you bought?

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/12/video-tests-show-2013-ford-fusion-c-max-hybrids-dont-live-up-to-47-mpg-claims.html

yup,, but that's not what real world drivers and fuelly was reporting... as I said buyer beware.   there are other reasons to like the C Max.. but it's clear to me that it's not close to being a 47 mpg car which is disappointing given all the press about it being a 47 mpg car.. it's not.. it's not even close and if I were an owner I would be pissed.  I saw the post on the first page about some 1000 mpg break-in policy and winter driving etc.. etc..  Ford needs to own up and stop making excuses.

I think it way too early to worry much about the EPA ratings.  We will all be checking in over the next few months with reports on mileage.  From my perspective it is a huge learning curve learning to drive the hybrid and in particular the C-Max.  I tend to think Ford's head engineer is correct thinking that the extra horse power may be affecting stats.  Love the power, but can see how it will affect mileage as it is awesome.  We have had our car a week tomorrow and I'm just getting the hang of keeping it in EV.  Love the car, and don't have one iota of disappointment or worry about mileage stats.  Test drove all models of the Prius several times and I just couldn't drum up one ounce of enthusiasm for any model.  One drive in the C-Max and I was whipping out the check book. LOL

I think it way too early to worry much about the EPA ratings.  We will all be checking in over the next few months with reports on mileage.  From my perspective it is a huge learning curve learning to drive the hybrid and in particular the C-Max.  I tend to think Ford's head engineer is correct thinking that the extra horse power may be affecting stats.  Love the power, but can see how it will affect mileage as it is awesome.  We have had our car a week tomorrow and I'm just getting the hang of keeping it in EV.  Love the car, and don't have one iota of disappointment or worry about mileage stats.  Test drove all models of the Prius several times and I just couldn't drum up one ounce of enthusiasm for any model.  One drive in the C-Max and I was whipping out the check book. LOL

Fords sales figures for the C-Max have the competition worried. Toyota spends a lot of money on ads in most of those magazines except for Consumer Reports. Consumer Reports has never shown much enthusiasm for domestic vehicles of any brand.

Same feelings here. It gets better than my current, time to down size without giving up the roomy feeling, love the power, love the style. We tested lots of cars both hybrid and non hybrid. Loved the cmax from the drive out the lot. No other car raised my brow. I was sold.

And in likelihood Fuelly.com won't be getting reports from me even if I get 4.0 L per 100 kilometers--as I have zip in the way of interest in joining and keeping track over there.  It's just not my area of interest.  I want good mileage, style, and lots of technology and I have that. Lots of Prius' are taxis here in Vancouver and they make a dandy taxi ride, but not so dandy if you want the style and comfort of the C-Max as your personal vehicle.  Happy to come here and brag about my car though <g>.

if Cmax really got 47 mpg I would definitely consider it over the Prius esp with Li battery and more HP.. .. but 39 mpg.. that's lousy.   I'll wait till the next gen is out and see if they can improve from 39 mpg real world. For now Prius is the clear choice as far as mpg goes.... if I was just getting a car for driving fun, I'd skip a C Max and get a Bimmer.

if Cmax really got 47 mpg I would definitely consider it over the Prius esp with Li battery and more HP.. .. but 39 mpg.. that's lousy.   I'll wait till the next gen is out and see if they can improve from 39 mpg real world. For now Prius is the clear choice as far as mpg goes.... if I was just getting a car for driving fun, I'd skip a C Max and get a Bimmer.

You should go and take a test drive.  You're right that it likely is better to wait for the second generation of anything.  We test drove the Kia Optima and I had to stoop down to get in and I whacked my head --so I scratched it off my list.  With the C-Max you have wonderful head room for entry and the seats are nice and high and visibility is super.  It is just so nice compared to all of the cars we test drove over the last 8 months.  I think this one is something special.

yeah but it gets 39 mpg..  that's horrible when the sticker says 47 mpg.   like I said if I was just getting a car for driving experience it's not a CMax.. it's a bimmer.

in any event I have more hope for the plugin C Max.. I think it has a much better shot at getting something close to it's advertised mpg.   Cmax at 39 mpg is a non-starter esp since the Prius gets 49 mpg real world.

I'll see what folks have to say about the plugin and real world mpg performance... . ie let's see if Mikey likes it:)

I've been keeping an eye on my own MPG per trip and I had some stellar and not so stellar runs and I do about 70% Freeway and also do alot of suburban shooting comps as an real estate appraiser and right now, as my odo sits a tad under 500, I am liking what I am seeing, about 50% above 47MPG in the low 50s and as high as 61 and the reast in the high 30s. Lowest was 32MPG when I was fanging home and not bothered. 

I've driven the 2010 Prius, considered it and personally my real world experiences with that car for my job, it was not that stellar. One occasion I recall having a little under 1/4 tank which I thought was enough for my 100 mile round trip (given how much the Prius driver rave about their 50+MPGs) but I darn nearly went out of gas that early evening, coasting it to the nearest Costco at the end. I learnt it had a 10 gallon tank, not so great. So in some ways as my Camry puked, it was the right time for Ford to come out with the CMax...and to tell you, I didn't even want to consider the CMax because it looked too much like the Prius and I thought would drive like a rolling lump of clay....boy was I wrong, it drove better than the Fusion Hybrid and it had more room and perfect, perfect all around vision - crucial for my business needs. 

On top of that, I am really loving the extra large My Ford Touch voice commands and navigation screen - perfect to see where I am at a glance and where I need to turn to find the houses, and going EV all the way. I can call without touching anything, change songs, radio, usb and get traffic alerts on these wonderful (cough...cough...cough) Los Angeles roads.

So as an overall package, the CMax is KING is all aspects, a very nice surprise when once I thought the CMax was crap cause it looked like a Prius. I was wrong - GREAT JOB Ford.

Oh I saw an Energi at the dealer today, it was a training vehicle - man, oh man, does that battery take up space in the boot. I estimate its about double the size of the current battery in our CMaxs but its sweet though. That would be one sweet car to get.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

just drove 7 miles in stop and go traffic in LA this am (no warm up on regular gas, normal driving).  49 mpg real world mpg in a Prius. like I said if Cmax really got 47 mpg i would get it.  39 mpg  meh.. not so inspiring.  good start but I'm going to have to see better real world mpg before any consideration.  in any event there are happy owners here that don't care as much about mpg or false advertising.  I'm not so forgiving.

another thing I don't like is no spare tire!  the spray can is a joke.  one of the reasons I passed on the kia optimia.   have you ever driven in West Texas?  good luck with a spray can out there.

just drove 7 miles in stop and go traffic in LA this am (no warm up on regular gas, normal driving).  49 mpg real world mpg in a Prius. like I said if Cmax really got 47 mpg i would get it.  39 mpg  meh.. not so inspiring.  good start but I'm going to have to see better real world mpg before any consideration.  in any event there are happy owners here that don't care as much about mpg or false advertising.  I'm not so forgiving.

another thing I don't like is no spare tire!  the spray can is a joke.  one of the reasons I passed on the kia optimia.   have you ever driven in West Texas?  good luck with a spray can out there.

Yes I have driven in West Texas.

spinnaker87 you seem to be ignoring all the  CMAX  owners that are getting around 47MPG or better. I personally get better than 49mpg in stop in and go traffic in my CMAX. Most new small cars have spray cans, just a sign of the times, more space and less cost. CMAX has greater range, I got 608.6mi on 12.8gal.,47.3mpg, how far will your Prius go in West Texas?  

For 7 miles in stop and go traffic in LA this time of year: the C-Max will easily get 47mpg - probably exceed it.

I have driven in West Texas many many many times (actually all over between the Rockies and the Mississippi, north & south and everywhere in between).

I have actually used fix-a-flat many times because I was in college and too cheap to have a good spare.  It worked just fine in a pinch.  The C-Max comes with fix-a-flat, and roadside assistance.  There is no reason to haul around a 20lb spare 100% of the time if it may only be used once in 5 years.  To be honest, I have driven across the USA east to west and north to south and back again at least 4 times in the past 10 years and have not needed a spare tire.  I did have a u-haul truck blow a tire in Arkansas which had to be replaced by roadside assistance because it was fully loaded and in the middle of nowhere.  They came out and replaced the entire tire within 45 minutes.

Most manufacturers are ditching the spare tire to save on weight.  It's not a c-max only thing.  As of the middle of this year, 50% of the vehicles sold in the USA did not come with spares.

I really don't understand, if people are really so down on the C-Max I have an easy answer: DON'T BUY ONE.

But please stop conveniently ignoring all of the information which does not fit your agenda, because it just simply makes you an internet troll.

spinnaker87 you seem to be ignoring all the  CMAX  owners that are getting around 47MPG or better. I personally get better than 49mpg in stop in and go traffic in my CMAX. Most new small cars have spray cans, just a sign of the times, more space and less cost. CMAX has greater range, I got 608.6mi on 12.8gal.,47.3mpg, how far will your Prius go in West Texas?  

Thats what Trolls usually do. ; )

Edited by darrelld

Nope. I'm getting 35.6 mpg with over 5k miles, and before everyone starts talking about how I don't know how to drive, the underperformance (with regard to mpg) of the CMAX is pretty well document at this point. ConsumerReports.org is one of several agencies to test the CMAX and confirm this. fuelly.com and fueleconomy.gov have enough consumer data to show that Honda, Toyota and VW - on average - get slightly higher than advertised mileage. The CMAX gets - on average - 8 less than advertised, again, right in line with what these reports have been saying.

Let's stop pretending that this is about tire pressure, being too heavy footed, having the AC on, etc. Ford has misled people like me by falsely advertising their MPG. The 2012 Civic hybrid gets 48.5 on average (consumer data), while it advertises 44mpg.

What's unfortunate is that everything else about the car is great. Extremely well designed, the Sync is awesome, the car drives smooth and handles well (although it doesn't corner that well), the sound system is great, the navigation and other features are easy to use and work very well. But I definitely would have went with a different car if this is the mileage I was going to be getting. Perhaps a Focus or Civic.  In any case, I hope Ford does right and compensates its customers like Hundai and Kia did. Otherwise I won't be buying a Ford again.

Nope. I'm getting 35.6 mpg with over 5k miles, and before everyone starts talking about how I don't know how to drive, the underperformance (with regard to mpg) of the CMAX is pretty well document at this point. ConsumerReports.org is one of several agencies to test the CMAX and confirm this. fuelly.com and fueleconomy.gov have enough consumer data to show that Honda, Toyota and VW - on average - get slightly higher than advertised mileage. The CMAX gets - on average - 8 less than advertised, again, right in line with what these reports have been saying.

Let's stop pretending that this is about tire pressure, being too heavy footed, having the AC on, etc. Ford has misled people like me by falsely advertising their MPG. The 2012 Civic hybrid gets 48.5 on average (consumer data), while it advertises 44mpg.

What's unfortunate is that everything else about the car is great. Extremely well designed, the Sync is awesome, the car drives smooth and handles well (although it doesn't corner that well), the sound system is great, the navigation and other features are easy to use and work very well. But I definitely would have went with a different car if this is the mileage I was going to be getting. Perhaps a Focus or Civic. In any case, I hope Ford does right and compensates its customers like Hundai and Kia did. Otherwise I won't be buying a Ford again.

So all those people who meet or exceed EPA here and Fuelly are just making it up? Edited by darrelld

My average is at 43 now. Trip average varies from high 30s on short trips when the weather is cold, to 40-60+ when the engine is warmed up.

My 15 mile trip to work this morning with temps in the low 40's avg 37 mpg. The same trip home for lunch temps in the 60's avg 53 mpg. Return to work from home avg 54 mpg.

When I took my turn to drive from my wife the dash was displaying 40 m.  I have driven for 2 days the avg raised to 43.5 mpg with 250 miles on this tank.