Rear Bumper Scuff Protection

dtorres

Thanks, this looks pretty cool. I was considering getting some clear 3m protector for the bumber, but this looks better.

Laurel can you post your thoughts on it when you get it? The only thing that concerns me is the quantity of adhesive they use and where it is placed - better if it is along the edges.

I ordered the exact piece from ebay and I just got it yesterday. I'll install it this weekend. My first impressions are good. It's made of thick hard blick plastic that does bend much.

It shipped in a long 3.5 ft 1/4" thin box about 8" wide. It had a "DO NOT BEND" sticker and was delievered "Un-Bent".

The installation instructions seem fine and it comes with 2 alcohol prep pads for cleanning the bumper top.

I can give you more details regarding the installation and final look after I install it in on Saturday.

Jay

I ordered the exact piece from ebay and I just got it yesterday. I'll install it this weekend. My first impressions are good. It's made of thick hard blick plastic that does bend much.

It shipped in a long 3.5 ft 1/4" thin box about 8" wide. It had a "DO NOT BEND" sticker and was delievered "Un-Bent".

The installation instructions seem fine and it comes with 2 alcohol prep pads for cleanning the bumper top.

I can give you more details regarding the installation and final look after I install it in on Saturday.

Jay

Thanks, it sounds like a winner. Do you think they provided enough of the 3M tape to keep it in place long term, and is it arranged around the edges of the panel?

Here's the direct link to the company's website that makes the black plastic one for $40 + shipping:

http://www.zetaproducts.net/Rear-Bumper-Protector-Fits-2013-Ford-C-Max.aspx

There's also the official Ford one for $75 which looks like heavy 3M clear plastic. However you can't seem to order it yet and they don't have a listed part number.

http://accessories.ford.com/vehicles/c-max/2013/exterior.html

Ok, I did the install and it was pretty simple...

1 - Washed the car yesterday so it was already clean.

2 - Rubbed down the bumper top witha microfiber cloth

3 - Wiped it down with the suppled alcohol pad and again with the Microfiber cloth.

4 - Aligned the plastic protector piece left to right and front to back to get a reference (Without the sticky back tap uncovered).

5 - Peeled off the sticky back tape and laided it in place without any pressure to verify alignment.Once I was happy with the alignment I applied pressure to the entire piece by running the palm of my hand up and down the plastic several times.

NOTE: They suggest closing the rear door before applying the protector. This is IMPORTANT for aligning the piece appropriately front to rear.

I did not heed this advice and when the door is closed it looks a bit like it's to far in (and it probably is).

Left to right aligns nicely with two big groves in the "Trunk" area so that was easy.

Jay

Bumper protection documentation

Bumper Closeup of Wipes

Bumper Pre-Install

Bumper - Left Alignment

Bumper Final install with door closed

Edited by JayCo59

Awesome, I'm buying one. Thanks for posting the pics. I really like that the adhesive is placed along the edges so they won't easily get lifted if by chance something catches an edge.

Your install looks great too, I think this is better than the clear factory one. If I did not know and had to guess I'd think it was factory.

CNCGeek we got our bumper protector today. We don't have our car yet so it will sit here for awhile. Hubby said to tell you that it could do with a bit more 3M tape. There are two long horizontal strips of tape--top and bottom--about 1/4" from the edges. Hubby felt that they could have used two small extra pieces perpendicular to the horizontal long strips at each end. But over all it looks fine.

The 3M Foam Tape used to hold on trim is available at most Auto Supply stores. In my area Pep Boys, AutoZone, NAPA, and just about everyone else, carries it. Just tells the store clerk you need 3M Body Side Molding Tape and they should be able to hand a you a roll for a reasonable price, usually around $5.00. When I purchase an exterior trim piece I almost always add more tape to it as I don't want it coming loose! Here is a Link to the 3M Website showing the tape most vendors use.

Edited by RedLdr1

CNCGeek we got our bumper protector today. We don't have our car yet so it will sit here for awhile. Hubby said to tell you that it could do with a bit more 3M tape. There are two long horizontal strips of tape--top and bottom--about 1/4" from the edges. Hubby felt that they could have used two small extra pieces perpendicular to the horizontal long strips at each end. But over all it looks fine.

I used the stock tape and the unit is held in well, it's not going anywhere. The plastic piece is quite rigid and once it's down and rolled it not coming up! I wouldn't bother with any extra tape.

Edited by JayCo59

I installed the Ford accessory Rear Bumper Protector today.  The bumper side of the protector is sticky so use lots of soapy water when you put the protector down on the bumper.  The kit comes with a yellow squeegee device for smoothing out air bubbles.  The protector is a thick plastic material that should offer some protection from inadvertent drops and/or scrapes from items being moved in or out of your cargo area.

CMax 2326

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I used the stock tape and the unit is held in well, it's not going anywhere. The plastic piece is quite rigid and once it's down and rolled it not coming up! I wouldn't bother with any extra tape.

Yah, the aftermarket scuff guard has MORE than enough stick-- be careful applying it because it grabs HARD as soon as the tape touches the bumper.

Yah, the aftermarket scuff guard has MORE than enough stick-- be careful applying it because it grabs HARD as soon as the tape touches the bumper.

I agree.  I had some 3M double sided tape I could have used, but it was not needed.  They even set up the tape with tabs that stick out so you can place it down on the bumper and get the position perfect, then tape part of it down in position and peel the tape while it is in position so you don't need to mess around with peeling the tape and then placing.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info.  Looks like there are only these few options right now.  I have a roll of the clear 3M vinyl, exact same material the Ford clear protector is made out of.  Got it off ebay for about 20 bucks, but of course I would have to cut it to fit and it doesn't have the C-Max logo and striping on it.  Not sure it would stand up to my dogs sharp claws.  Judging from other bumpers that they have cut into, I don't think vinyl will stand a chance in the long run. 

I like the looks of the black plastic one, but wish it was bigger and slightly rolled over the rear lip of the bumper.  That is where the majority of the scratches come from while they claw there way into the back.  I think I'll wait and see what comes out on the market, and just use a towel for now.  

Edited by Hatchman