Where does it go?

RachelnLa

While I am ahem patiently awaiting the new car, I am plagued with thoughts of where to put things. I know we talked about the bottomless compartment between the seats before, but where are you putting those must haves?

I put my purse on the hump on the floor in the Tahoe. It fits snug. I keep my window shade in the door compartment along with my umbrella. I usually carry a water bottle with me too. I currently have these moisture absorbing disks in the bottom of the cup holder. I highly recommend them. Stops the bottom from getting icky. I keep a trash bag hanging from the ashtray. I keep extra napkins in the glovebox. I would love to keep a box of Kleenex but I may have to go with a small packet in the bottomless pit. I also keep an empty paper towel roll stuffed with grocery bags tucked under the driver seat because you just never know.

Anyone have items you cannot live without? Where are you storing them?

I also have a rubbermaid tub in the back of my truck filled with safety kit items. A friend gave me a trunk organizer for cmas and I cannot wait to use it. It will probably hold items I currently carry rather than grocery bags.

I have a lot of time to *think* before my car arrives lol

Trash bag hangs over the gear shift. Purse on the passenger seat, unless there is a passenger, then it's in the back seat. Cell phone in purse, unless there is a passenger, then it hangs on a ClipHanger on the dash. Umbrella and scraper under the seat. Maps in the door pocket. Notebook and pen and hand sanitizer in the bottomless pit. Sunglasses and extra eye glasses on clips on the visor. And, peculiar to me, a small folding table in the back. I work the water stations for my daughter's marathon training team. Also in the back is a Bag 'o' bags for grocery shopping.

Where do you get those moisture disks, Rachel?

Edited by Adair

We have a trash bag hanging over one of the back seats. A few cables in the console box. The manual, our mileage log, and napkins (once I remember 'em, at least) in the glove box. My purse either goes in front of the front seat or just behind it. Sometimes the cell phone goes in the drink cup in the console if I'm charging the car. In the rear I have a box I used to keep in the trunk of our previous car. It's a 12" square collapsible fabric-covered box that I found at a thrift store. It's usually folded and in one of the cargo nets, but I've found it very handy for containing items that might roll around in the trunk, particularly after a run to the grocery store. 

Is anyone using the under-floor storage bins in the back seat? Or the little storage trays on the floor on the outboard edges of the front seats? I have no idea what use I could possibly have for any of them.

Wow - we had to go out and look at the car to see what the "little storage trays on the floor..." were.

Then we stood around for a minute wondering what the heck would go there...

Perfect answer - a furled mini-umbrella.    Then it doesn't get anything else wet.

As for the back-seat bins - smuggling compartments, obviously  :-)

Is anyone using the under-floor storage bins in the back seat? Or the little storage trays on the floor on the outboard edges of the front seats? I have no idea what use I could possibly have for any of them.

+1 I don't know what to fit in there either. If my wife wants to hide her purse, she buries it in the bigger compartment in the back.

Smuggling cubbies in the back seat are great for insurance and registration papers as they say never leave them in glove box in case of break in.  I am going to put a few hundred dollars cash there too as "they" say to always have about $1000 cash in case of earthquake and other disasters as the banks won't be available.  Storing it in the car is perfect because we likely we hit the road in the car if we could if there was an earthquake. We are buying an earthquake pack which will be in the car too. There was a 7.6 off the coast of Alaska a couple of months ago and that is getting close to home.

Smuggling cubbies in the back seat are great for insurance and registration papers as they say never leave them in glove box in case of break in.  I am going to put a few hundred dollars cash there too as "they" say to always have about $1000 cash in case of earthquake and other disasters as the banks won't be available.  Storing it in the car is perfect because we likely we hit the road in the car if we could if there was an earthquake. We are buying an earthquake pack which will be in the car too. There was a 7.6 off the coast of Alaska a couple of months ago and that is getting close to home.

Problem being is that when I get pulled over for granny driving on these CA roads, I have to open the back door to get my insurance and expose all the drugs I am smuggling.....oh...alternate universe, sorry... :redcard:

PS I luv the idea of hiding the cash in the car and also the earthquake preparation kit, everyone on the West Coast need to be prepared. A few years ago, I had the LAFD do s CERT class here (Catastrophe Emergency Response Training) which was super useful and I got a ton of "what to do" booklets. Unfortunately, I do not have an electronic version of this booklet otherwise I would be more than happy to forward it to everyone - very informative and will save lives.

I got a cool little tray thing, it inserts in a cup-holder and sticks out with a couple cubbies. It still has a cup holder but adds a couple cubbies. I have it in the 2nd cup holder (farthest from dash) and turned to the driver side, it hangs over the back part of the parking brake. It gives me a couple places to set a phone or other little junks. Doesn't get in the way of opening the storage bin or operating the parking brake or seat belt...

[Rachel: "  I currently have these moisture absorbing disks in the bottom of the cup holder. I highly recommend them. Stops the bottom from getting icky."]

I had a Eureka experience today, speaking of the cup holders.  In my last car, I was able to remove the rubber inserts to clean them, and wondered about the best way to clean the ones in my max, since they didn't seem to come out.  But while playing with them, low and behold, I found that the bottom of the cup holder IS removable.  Maybe not as eventful as mpg's, but I thought it was pretty special! :)

Reading glasses in a case in the door pocket. 

I am considering one of those coin change cup things for the door pocket as well. 

Sun glasses in over head visor.

Box of tissues under drivers seat.  (There is actually a fair amount of room under both seats.

I need to work on the storage well for sundries like floss, glasses cleaning cloth, mini-flashlight.

Two things:  all recent Ford models I've had were festooned with wires and electronics under the driver's and passenger's seats and the owners manual cautioned against storing items which might damage same.  Additionally, if storing anything under the driver's seat be certain it could never roll or travel forward and possibly lodge under the brake pedal.  And please wear your hat, scarf and mittens and wait at least two hours after eating before swimming.

Edited by JAZ

I just added a spring-loaded change holder that I got on Amazon that fits in the cup holder slot, I always seem to have loose change rolling around.  I used the Cup holder space built into the door on the driver side.  It cost about $10 on Amazon, and my fold up umbrella 9 hey it does rain on occasion in Phoenix) still fits int he door.

Edited by wamba2000

I don't mind the rain. There's no soap in it... ;)

Recently I moved to TN for a year. One day it was raining and I rode my bicycle to the neighborhood grocery store for a couple items. I swear people in the store would move to the other side of the aisle and cover their children as though I was the plague... Using my bicycle was strange enough to most people there - but they also had a fanatical abhorrence of rain - bicycling in the rain was unheard of! People there would use an umbrella to walk 8 feet in the rain. My daughter never understood it...

I just added a spring-loaded change holder that I got on Amazon that fits in the cup holder slot, I always seem to have loose change rolling around.  I used the Cup holder space built into the door on the driver side.  It cost about $10 on Amazon, and my fold up umbrella 9 hey it does rain on occasion in Phoenix) still fits int he door.

What was the item number on the change holder you got?  Does it fit nicely in that space or does it rattle around?

Your post got me thinking about a cup shaped container with a lid that I had seen somewhere, but then I found this.  It seems perfect for change hoarders who end up with nickels quarters and dimes under the seats and at the bottom of the cup holders (I'm speaking of myself of course).  I'm not buying it though since I am holding out for the container with the lid.