The ultimate USB drive for your CMax....did we say micro small?

I thought some of you who rip music into digital files might be interested in this mico USB drive that I found and am using - check it out, cause ....

8400588027_c9f86bc023_c.jpg

PROS:

1. Micro small. Never have to worry about banging into it. It looks fragile but it's not, pretty solid little usb.

2. Fits in the centre console usb port with no protrusion at all

3. Dirt cheap for a 16gb, more than plenty to store your music

CONS:

Could take a little while to figure out how to pull this sucker out cause theres basically nothing to grab onto - but I figured out using my fingernails, that works.

No, I have no affiliation with newegg but I do shop there. 

Caveat: I've not tested this in summer temps - the hottest it has got in LA is about 90 but I think it will do OK. It's well insulated in the centre console.

This is my music drive now, I got sick of using DoubleTwist with the bluetooth, plus it drains the phone battery unnecessarily. Its fast compared to our slow Sync, sometimes I swear they have got a 286 chip in the MFT...I wonder how many of you would remember the 286  and lets not go any earlier than that, lol.

That looks perfect for the application.   For easy removal tie a string or attach a small paper clip to the eye of the drive as a tether.   

The 286 chip with monochrome monitor, 20 meg hard drive with 1 meg ram and a dot matrix printer was state of the art in 1985.  Lets not talk about how much it cost.  

The system the car uses is a Freescale i.MX516 SystemOnChip(SoC).

That has a 600MHz ARM Cortex-A8 main processor

Qualcomm Adreno 200 graphics processor (formerly known as AMD Imageon Z430)

512MB RAM

2GB NAND flash storage

This was current as of at least August, So there is a good bet it is what it still in our C-Max.

-

286? how about the 8088?

I remember my first hard drive, 10MB. I thought "Man, I will *never* fill this thing up."

I've taken photos with my phone that are larger than 10MB...

I also remember the days where we could enhance our performance by adding a math-co-processor. ;)

386 SX, 386 DX, etc...

Also having all kinds of boot up tricks to enable RAM over 640kb. Fun with Microsoft!

Thanks for the info on the tech Valk, seems like the car has about the same processing capability as my phone?

I'm not as old as some on this forum, but I do remember spending my entire earnings from working all summer ($6,000 plus) on a killer new computer, with the amazing new 286, and a 300 baud modem that I used to play text based rpg games on local BBS'........

I have a similar one the SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16MB. It's like $12 on Amazon and is small enough not to get broken. Like someone else mentioned I did tie a string to it to make it easier to pull out.

I tried a key chain ring nd that did not work for me...but its no big deal. It stays in Max 99% of the time unless I am changing the playlist.

Here's a pictures of the San Disk, pretty cool as well...

269902-sandisk-cruzer-fit.jpg

16mb huh? You sure it was not from the 1980s...16mb was a lot of memory back then... ;) 

I remember the first computer I built. It was a XT. My son was about five years old and played games on a PC junior we had. I was going to give him his own hard drive on this one. I bought two 10mb hardrives and a controler card for the sum of $895. I had about 3000 dollars of hard to come by money in it but it worked great. By the way that same son is 38 now. I have one of the Scan Disk Drives except mine is a 32gig. It great if you don't lose it.

I got the 32G Sandisk version of that, and it seems to be working well. My music collection is slighty bigger than that, but I still have a huge selection once I squeezed out a few things. I need to play with setting up some playlists, since the ipod lists didn't transfer over right, but just turning it on play-all and shuffle makes for about a week of uninterrupted music.

I've never used playlists until MFT. In the past I've always browsed my mp3s by folders. Unfortunately the voice commands don't recognize folders. I've created playlists that match the contents of my favorite folders so that they can be called up as a playlist by the voice command which is really nice when you're driving.

I only started using playlists with Max. Otherwise, I am like you, I don't need it.

With Max, playlists are the way to go. I got one dance directory with tons of mp3 and a few playlists that it runs from. The MFT "Album" is all messed up since MFT indexes everything so I never use it.

I'm still trying to work out which is voice-controllable and which is not. 

Just got to find time to do it all.

PS Yeah, so if you see a White Platinum SEL CMax coming down the street stealthy but the driver has "Body Shots" blaring out of his window, that would be me. Run  :runaway: 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Lets see what Jus has in his youtube mix bag.....

Nelly Furtado - Big Hoops DJ BLK remixed (crank this up with a subwoofer ala play in Max LOUD)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD_sCiicVdM

This POP DANTHOLOGY is brilliant, see the video - it's a brilliant remix. Be sure to check out his other video remixes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If5MF4wm1T8

Havana Brown - We Run the Night (explicit).

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Rachel and Jus, you two might be shocked at what gets played in Tip.  About 5 years ago, I went to a police auction and bought an Ipod Touch that has about 3000 or more Indie artists on it.  Totally not my taste, but I play it all of the time because it is fascinating.  I can't name all of the artists but a few off the top of my head are The Arcade Fire, The Avalanches, The Black Lips, The Bloody Beetroots, Built to Spill and The Blow.  Also there is a lot of very obscene rap with very catchy beat.  There is a new discovery every time I listen. On occasion in the summer, I will have all my windows down in the car while parked at the mall while waiting for hubby.  Then I crank up the Indie music to cause heads to turn.  It can be quite funny to watch people's faces as many of the lyrics are hair curling.  I have often thought that the poor guy who lost that Ipod was heart sick as he put a lot of himself into selecting all the music.  It includes traditional music too like the Beatles "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and classical music.

Laurel - I am stunned, luv that post.

I also have Dire Straits and a few large directories of Australian pop-music from the 80s and 90s, well, I am from there so thats a big shocker. This was the music I grew up with and as much as I like my JAMMY playlists, I do have to go back to my roots on occassions. Dire Straits - the Alchemy album is one of the best ever live music albums - if you are into guitar (not as upfront as Hendrix though). 

Hmmh...is this thread turning into a default music thread....very cool  :) 

PS I think I know your secret sauce to how great Tip has been driving - it's the music.... ;)

Should have known you are from Oz!  My dog's vet is from Oz too.  She is a fire cracker--full of fun and her claim to fame with my dog is her tiny hands.  Tinker has chronic anal problems and Auntie Jenn is very gentle with her (that is what she calls herself when she calls Tink into her office "Oh Tink don't be scared. Your Auntie Jenn has small hands.").  I never leave the vet's office without having a good laugh.   Auntie Jenn is very pretty too and never over charges and is first rate with her diagnosing.  She makes me like all Australians sight unseen LOL.

Should have known you are from Oz!  My dog's vet is from Oz too.  She is a fire cracker--full of fun and her claim to fame with my dog is her tiny hands.  Tinker has chronic anal problems and Auntie Jenn is very gentle with her (that is what she calls herself when she calls Tink into her office "Oh Tink don't be scared. Your Auntie Jenn has small hands.").  I never leave the vet's office without having a good laugh.   Auntie Jenn is very pretty too and never over charges and is first rate with her diagnosing.  She makes me like all Australians sight unseen LOL.

Ha...because of the Queen, Canadians and Aussies tend to be like peas in a pod, except when we're at sports when we have no hesitation beating each other up for a few pieces of metal. Good to hear Auntie Jenn is flying the Aussie flag high, she sounds like a great vet. I wish we had one here that doesn't charge like a wounded bull, we got 2 lovely Toygers.

I'd love to see a picture of your Toygers.  Small animal vets do charge the earth.  We used to have a small farm and had six horses.  Our horse vet would make a barn call give all six horses vaccinations and float their teeth and be at the barn for an hour and half and the bill would be under $300.  Prior to finding Auntie Jenn, I would take Tink in because her appetite was off and she seemed lethargic and the bill would be $300 by the time they did blood work and other tests in a 30 minute visit.  Auntie Jenn lays off on all the pricey tests until she is proven wrong with her first hunch. She is the type if she hears hoof beats she looks for a horse and not a zebra.  We are lucky to have her.