Ford engine block heater cost

I asked the dealer about installing the Ford engine block heater that is an option for at least fleet buyers.  The price for the part was about $80, but the labor was $500 to remove the catalytic converter and drain/refill the coolant to install it. So I guess I won't be  doing that. :rant:

Wolverine Model 9 is $56 on amazon and takes 15-30min to install. Maybe not as good but a step in the right direction. :)

I do not know if it is an area specific option, but my C-Max SEL came with the engine block heater installed no charge.  On the initial vehicle order confirmation it was listed as option 41H and it was also listed on the factory window sticker as no charge, not as a dealer installed option as things like remote start get listed.  The salesperson made a point of checking where the cord was stowed.  My car is always parked in a heated garage at night, and I have not had time to experiment with how much it raises initial coolant temp if used.  The engine warms up quickly, but I take a mileage hit on short trips with winter weather.

I do not know if it is an area specific option, but my C-Max SEL came with the engine block heater installed no charge.  On the initial vehicle order confirmation it was listed as option 41H and it was also listed on the factory window sticker as no charge, not as a dealer installed option as things like remote start get listed.  The salesperson made a point of checking where the cord was stowed.  My car is always parked in a heated garage at night, and I have not had time to experiment with how much it raises initial coolant temp if used.  The engine warms up quickly, but I take a mileage hit on short trips with winter weather.

You are an excellent candidate For Grill Covers, check out 3mpg gain with grill covers threads in mileage forum. 

This could explain the block heater, looks like a good option to have anywhere.

http://www.muni.org/Departments/health/environment/AirQ/Pages/EngineBlockHeater.aspx

Edited by darrelld

• 2 years later...

I konw this is an old thread, but just got my used 2013 Cmax and live in WNY and it will be parked outside. winter gets a bit chilly. We had one morning last winter of -22 below !!  

I was looking at the wolverine engine block heaters, anyone have any luck with them? if so, what size? thinking maybe the higher wattage one (250watt) if it will fit on the oil pan, otherwise will go with the smaller one, haven't looked to see how much room is down there to mount them. 

thanks all!!

Edited by WNY

I konw this is an old thread, but just got my used 2013 Cmax and live in WNY and it will be parked outside. winter gets a bit chilly. We had one morning last winter of -22 below !!  

I was looking at the wolverine engine block heaters, anyone have any luck with them? if so, what size? thinking maybe the higher wattage one (250watt) if it will fit on the oil pan, otherwise will go with the smaller one, haven't looked to see how much room is down there to mount them. 

thanks all!!

I tried a couple and the Wolverine Model 9 is the only one that will fit on the bottom of oil pan. There is a smooth area on the back of block that you could put another one to get to 250 watts. You can buy them on Amazon and ebay.  You could use cheaper little larger one on back of block.  Have pics of ICE block heater and oil pan heater. :)

Rear side of Block

ICE Block Heater installed

Rear side ICE Block

CMAX BH

Oil Pan Heater

Paul
Edited by ptjones

And I've looked at lower radiator hose heaters... second one down.

http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.com/kat_s

They'd be easier to install than stock, and much higher power than the ones Paul used, but you need a stretch of fairly vertical hose with direct flow into the block. I should have looked when I changed the oil...

Also normal warranty concerns, when making a mod to the cooling system, in the event of cooling related issues down the road. I've left mine alone, and shivered, I admit. Energi remote start has a real advantage here!!

HAve fun,

Frank

PS Be sure you don't have one.

http://www.etis.ford.com/home.do

Enter your VIN and you get a list of pending service actions, with a summary of features. A link in the features gives you a complete list of available options, marked "with..." and "less..." depending if they're present. "Less immersion heater" is very common.

From my experience the factory block heater is the best solution(+60*F) and also the hardest, I barely got mine installed and the Dealer managed to loosen plug when they installed the new transmission. so now I've got to figure out how to reconnect it without taring things apart again.  Next lower radiator hose heater not sure the actual increase in temp, but should be substantial.  You still have to cut the lower hose in a couple of places and mount, deal with coolant mess and refilling.  Most anyone can do the third option of installing one or two oil pan heaters to oil pan and side of block with similar results  all it requires is jacking up front of car 6" or so and remove ICE cover.  Clean off oil pan and back of block area to stick on heaters, install pads and route wire to a convenient spot like right lower corner of windshield to plug into extension cord. I don't think there would be any Warranty issues.  Good Luck. :)

Paul

+1

But the tradeoff is power and effectiveness. Pad heaters are 50-100W, immersion more like 200-600W. Pad on the oil pan heats the oil. Pan in the coolant heats the entire engine, as the warmed coolant will rise and circulate.

No question the OEM is the best option... were I in the place of the several folks buying a second C-Max, this would be on the mandatory list.

Have fun,

Frank

Of course there's always the light-bulb-under-the-hood approach.  Cheap, easy, effective.

Cheap and easy, but not very effective.  You need to be touching the ICE to transfer heat into the block, not much room for that. The ICE is covered real good.

You can find on eBay Motors, parts and Access., oil pan heaters.  Wolverine Model 9 oil pan heater pad is the only one I found small enough (3" round) 125 watts for the oil pan.  I know it will work on the back of the block too, but there are cheaper, more wattage and larger  ones that might also fit. :)

Paul 

Back when I lived in Iowa we regularly saw temps of below zero in the morning, and -10 to -20 wasn't uncommon at all.

I would put a magnetic heater on the engine oil pan, it made a HUGE difference in the way the engine would turn over and start in the morning (or in the afternoon for that matter - when it's STILL below zero), and a small difference in how quickly the heater would actually start to blow warm air.

This wasn't on a C-Max, but it should still make starting easier and have the ICE warm up just a bit quicker.