600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

Wow, you guys are tough.  :sad: :sad:

Not really. LOL  Promise yourself that this tank i'm going to get 600 miles before you put gas in the tank and then just do it.  You already proved to yourself with the spread sheet that you could have gotten 600 mi. on every single tank!  This sounds like a therapy session, LOL What are you afraid of ? You are not going to run out of gas. :)

I want to see your name on the list. :yahoo:

Paul

Scott.  Those are stellar numbers putting you near the top for MPG's; but like Marc says - "they don't call it the 542 mile club"

You had many 600's (& a couple 700's) in the bag on that stretch; no sweat, piece-of-cake.  You might want to wait until next warm season now.

We are all cheering for you,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

I get lots of tanks in the 45-49 mpg but never got 600 miles either.  Part of it is living in Oregon where you

can't pump your own gas so after the first click you are done.  The other part is my unwillingness to drive

beyond where the car says you have 0 miles left or carry a small tank of gas.  Not a big deal just happy

to be getting mpg in the high 40's.

I get lots of tanks in the 45-49 mpg but never got 600 miles either.  Part of it is living in Oregon where you

can't pump your own gas so after the first click you are done.  The other part is my unwillingness to drive

beyond where the car says you have 0 miles left or carry a small tank of gas.  Not a big deal just happy

to be getting mpg in the high 40's.

You using Premium? Grill Covers? You will have no problem getting 600mi. :)

Paul

Upping the tire pressure does more for the MPG than anything else, the least resistence the better...

Also, I came to the conclusion the last update has certainly reduced the MPG, at least by 4 MPG based on my driving. That sucks...

Get it up there in 600.00 and you're in. I don't think theres any other forum that tracks 600+ CMax drivers, but its hard if you even have 20% freeway as the CMax is not the most efficient car at freeway speeds. City, its an MPG killer... :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Well, there you go Scott (didn't hurt at all, eh), and even with some cold weather and snow !!!  Exceptional !!!  Congrats & welcome to da club - you will be a climber for sure with your numbers - 700 + .............. all within your reach. :hat_tip: :hat_tip: :hat_tip:

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I almost got there, but I had to fill up at 591 miles (on 12.5 gallons indicated, but I didn't top off on the last fill up) since I had a ways to go till I got near home and my distance to empty indicator showed only 5 miles. I'm curious just how accurate the DTE reading is though since I've never driven with so few miles remaining being indicated. I'm hoping it reads way lower than what I have left in the tank, but figured I'd ask before I get stranded.

Well I almost got there, but I had to fill up at 591 miles (on 12.5 gallons indicated, but I didn't top off on the last fill up) since I had a ways to go till I got near home and my distance to empty indicator showed only 5 miles. I'm curious just how accurate the DTE reading is though since I've never driven with so few miles remaining being indicated. I'm hoping it reads way lower than what I have left in the tank, but figured I'd ask before I get stranded.

I have found about 30 miles more is pretty safe, I have done 50-60 miles more. How you fillup doesn't effect Miles after E, just your range before empty. If your MPG's are improving at the end of your tank, you can probably go farther past E. You could have easily made 600 miles, maybe next time.  :)

Paul

I have found about 30 miles more is pretty safe, I have done 50-60 miles more. How you fillup doesn't effect Miles after E, just your range before empty. If your MPG's are improving at the end of your tank, you can probably go farther past E. You could have easily made 600 miles, maybe next time.  :)

Paul

So another 30 miles past the big ZERO? Wow, DTE isn't a very accurate 'gauge' then. I should've written that since I didn't fill up completely at my last stop (for that 13.5ga total) I wasn't too sure just how much gas I actually still had in the tank after using that 12.5 gallons indicated. That's why I was afraid of pushing it more than I did. Anyone else that can confirm 30-50 miles is possible after hitting 0, or does ptjones just have the worst DTE indicator of us all? LOL

Edited by RobMax

rob  I usually run until the gauge turns red.  and then the red line will actually drop a tic below the empty line..

I have not ran out yet.  my last tank  i was shooting for 700  wife was out of town so i was able to use her car for any trips that involved the highway.  so mine was strictly commuting.

673 at 13.44 gallons   415 miles EV  with an average speed of 23....so close...the trip meter showed me only using 13 gallons...  so by no means  should you rely on that.

my closest gas station is five miles and the roads are mostly two lanes with no shoulders and I have a few hills  so it would be very easy for the fuel pickup to run dry and I haven't walked to a gas station since I owned a motorcycle 20 years ago...

I probably could have gotten to 700 on this tank......

I think you can rely on the miles to empty, I think the worst case of running out of gas was 25 miles passed 0 and I have gone atleast 60 miles. Another way is to notice when the orange/yellow low fuel light comes on which means you have 2-2.5gal. left, figure what kind of mpg's you are getting, then look at trip gauge to see what your miles should end up being.  I have noticed the miles to 0 goes down faster when the low fuel light comes on. ;) BTW I have never had to walk to a gas station, it is nice to have a car that you can EV for at lest a mile after you run out.  :)

Paul

I have had a few tanks tanks that have been within a tenth of a gallon based on the display and pump but by an large normally half a gallon or more off with the car reading light.

Half a gallon off is about 3-4% 

assuming you can squeeze 14 gallons in the car (tank plus fill tube)  you'd need 50mpg at a minimum to get 700, and that's 50 actual,  not indicated...

For me...best I have gotten is 50.1  I don't see me getting to 700 with out carrying a spare can and hoping for a full charge when the tank runs dry... I don't plan on walking 20 minutes to  and 20minutes from a gas station.

so  lets say you run dry.  and all you have left is battery...  how far will the car let you go.  IE  can you run the battery completely flat.  what warning lights come on when the engine fails to start.  will the car continue to try to start the engine further depleting your battery???

I use actual (GPS) mileage for fuelly, but not for posting here.  With new tires  I go an extra 2.2 miles per hundred miles.  So in your case if you had new tires you were getting close to 700 miles. It is wise to carry a gas can if you are close to empty. You can't run the HVB dead, it won't let you.  On one of my record tries I run as far as the car would go in EV.  Then I put a couple of gallons in it from gas can and it started right up. Running out of gas in this car is  a non even. :) BTW remember to use the gas funnel in trunk to put gas in from a gas can. :)

Paul