600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

That's Great, your Fuelly is embarrassing. LOL  Did you install center Grill Cover yet? It is worth at least 1mpg on the HWY. Need to use oil pan heater next winter so you can keep from digging such a deep hole to climb out of during the Summer.  :) 

Paul

I've had the top grill blocked forever it seems, the middle blocked behind the grill, and along with the air dam, I added a lower grill block: pipe insulation so I can remove it easily if I start to overheat.

There's only so much a block heater can do... it's the passengers who can't tolerate 0F for long! When Winter sets in, I take the expressway so I don't have to choose between freezing and listening to the ICE run all the time. Plus, I use less gas on the highway than I would on back roads due to all that idling... my low trip to work is 30 mpg, and that was on back roads at 7F.

And then there's the sampling error... not a mistake, just the way numbers work. 1 bad tank has a far greater impact on the global average than one good one, and the bad tanks come often... it'll be over 4 weeks on this tank by the time it's gone, while I average a fill per week this past Winter (granted, we did a 3000 mile trip to Louisiana...).

Yes, my fuelly is embarassing!

HAve fun,

Frnak

I only suggest blocking top grill in winter, center one all the time, it is better to have smooth surface over center grill from aero stand point and bottom cover I leave on unless I have some serious mountain climbing to do. Oil pan and block heaters make a big difference during winter time and help during summer. Remember CMAX won't go into EV until the WT reaches 128*F, not much of a problem in AZ during the Summer. LOL :)

Paul

I live in Florida so thought going without AC would be out of the question until fall.  But recently have been trying it and with windows open I find it is not as bad as I thought it would be.  Most of my daily driving is at less than 50 so I am able to optimize my battery to run on the longer stretches without lights.  My average on my daily commute has gone from 46 to 50+ since I turned off the AC.  I may be joining this august club so will be posting in the next couple weeks, hopefully.

I am on my second tank and trying hard to join the club.  About half way through the tank and combining miles on this tank and range is just above 600 miles.  So how accurate are those estimates?  I hate the smell of gasoline in my car so I hesitate to carry a can of gas but would feel pretty stupid running out of gas in the effort to join this group of achievers.  

I live in Florida so thought going without AC would be out of the question until fall.  But recently have been trying it and with windows open I find it is not as bad as I thought it would be.  Most of my daily driving is at less than 50 so I am able to optimize my battery to run on the longer stretches without lights.  My average on my daily commute has gone from 46 to 50+ since I turned off the AC.  I may be joining this august club so will be posting in the next couple weeks, hopefully.

I am on my second tank and trying hard to join the club.  About half way through the tank and combining miles on this tank and range is just above 600 miles.  So how accurate are those estimates?  I hate the smell of gasoline in my car so I hesitate to carry a can of gas but would feel pretty stupid running out of gas in the effort to join this group of achievers.  

Wait to put the can in the car until you are close to empty and you have your windows open so this shouldn't be a problem. You should be able to go at least 30mi. past empty from my experiences. BTW you will not run out going up hill, but you can going down hill. You still can EV if the ICE stops. Good Luck. :)

Paul

I've seen 'break-in' estimates of anywhere from 1,000 to 10,000 miles for these engines, so patiently wait a few more miles before you try to earn that first badge!

I haven't earned one yet, but I've noticed our mileage increased significantly after 1000 miles. On the first two fill-ups, I refueled with 1/8 tank indicated, at about 500 miles each time, and (as indicated on Fuelly) averaged 42 mpg, dividing odometer miles by actual fuel purchased.

Now we're just over 1500 miles, about 400 miles traveled on an indicated 8.2 gallons (pessimistic), at an indicated 49.7mpg (optimistic) and 271 miles to empty, so we could potentially go 700 on this tank, pretty easily surpassing 600. And that's with AC on much of the time, traveling on state roads at 55-60 mph, and lots of short trips in town, 5 miles or less. Daytime temperatures are now in the mid-80's so engine warmup time is also very brief.

I've seen 'break-in' estimates of anywhere from 1,000 to 10,000 miles for these engines, so patiently wait a few more miles before you try to earn that first badge!

I haven't earned one yet, but I've noticed our mileage increased significantly after 1000 miles. On the first two fill-ups, I refueled with 1/8 tank indicated, at about 500 miles each time, and (as indicated on Fuelly) averaged 42 mpg, dividing odometer miles by actual fuel purchased.

Now we're just over 1500 miles, about 400 miles traveled on an indicated 8.2 gallons (pessimistic), at an indicated 49.7mpg (optimistic) and 271 miles to empty, so we could potentially go 700 on this tank, pretty easily surpassing 600. And that's with AC on much of the time, traveling on state roads at 55-60 mph, and lots of short trips in town, 5 miles or less. Daytime temperatures are now in the mid-80's so engine warmup time is also very brief.

If you want to feel a little better check your odometer with GPS you will find out you are going 1.015 miles farther and mpg improvement of .5 mpg better. :)

Paul

Woo Hoo!!! Way to go Frank! Nice way to start off the summer......and summer does make a difference, doesn't it? I have a question for you......do you see much impact from using the AC? Mine has little to no effect on my mileage......nothing like using the heater in the winter. And I do use the AC just about every day now.

Oh, and I'll get Post 1 updated right away :rockon: 

(10 min. later) Hey, wait a sec.......did you just jump in at 707 miles here? Skipped right over the 600 level? WOW!

Edited by Adair

Adair, we haven't warmed up to AC season yet, so maybe 10 miles? Lake Ontaio is still in the 50's F offshore... and yes, I've been on track for 600 mile tanks, but never a long enough span of time off the highway to break 600. 580 and 568 were my prior highs, even with 50+MPG for much of the time.

Paul, this was one time the pump agreed with the car, 13.305 gal vs. 13.27 gal from the computer. I normally top off to the nearest dollar, and this time, managed to put premium in, so maybe I'll do even better next time.

And then there's the aero mods... side skirts will be documented as soon as I have the passenger side installed. 1.5" Al angle stock this time, level with the body pan, and with rear tire sploilers. Also plan wheel covers as that's the last of the non-rear mods I can think of.

HAve fun,

Frank

OK. I finally got to improve on my best (660mi.) tank from last year with this effort. The interesting thing was that there were lots of placed I could have improved. There were some highway miles here that lowered my average and I think I could have stretched this out to 750 miles if I kept it on local streets.

Regardless, I was able to break through the 700 mile barrier. Not much chance of bettering this in the near future as I will be spending too much time on the interstate.

post-303-0-58201200-1404186408_thumb.jpg

Edited by HPRifleman

Just got home from work and took this.  Sorry for the glare.  I will update again when i actually get fuel.

Did not have the guts to keep going so here it is.  All country roads, no city driving, temps in the 70s.  Not too bad for the second tank!

Seriously? Second tank???? That's amazing! Way to hit the ground running rjdeeme29! I will get your name on the Honor Roll *toot sweet!*

Regardless, I was able to break through the 700 mile barrier. Not much chance of bettering this in the near future as I will be spending too much time on the interstate.

attachicon.gif710 miles.jpg

Gee, when you break your old PR, you really crush it! Can you tell summer is here in the midwest?!!! Well done HP! That's just super! So nice to see these higher numbers rolling in once again. I'll get your name in it's proper new place this morning. Congrats!

Edited by Adair

I made it.  Actual fuel added was 12,2 gal.  Fuel warning was only in red for a couple miles.  Still had 15 to empty. Apologize for upside down pic.

Doubt I will reach it again until fall arrives.  Have not been using AC much but will now that I made this exclusive club! And this was my second tank!

post-2140-0-15525100-1404840958_thumb.jpg

Edited by shinytop

I made it.  Actual fuel added was 12,2 gal.  Fuel warning was only in red for a couple miles.  Still had 15 to empty. Apologize for upside down pic.

Doubt I will reach it again until fall arrives.  Have not been using AC much but will now that I made this exclusive club! And this was my second tank!

So in theory you could have gone to 700miles without running out of gas. Good Job! :)

Paul

Forgive me if this has been asked before: My trip computer does not show the amount of fuel used as I see in these pictures above. Is there an update I may not have that adds fuel used to the trip meters?

I did my first fill up today: Drove 579.1 miles and added 11.998 gallons of fuel. Manually calculated that nets 48.26 MPG. Computer was showing 50.1 MPG. With at least another gallon left to burn, I could have made the 600 club on my first tank had I know how much fuel I had burned to that point.

BTW 2013 SE Cmax left over, got a heck of a deal as it sat for nearly a year on the dealers lot.

Forgive me if this has been asked before: My trip computer does not show the amount of fuel used as I see in these pictures above. Is there an update I may not have that adds fuel used to the trip meters?

I did my first fill up today: Drove 579.1 miles and added 11.998 gallons of fuel. Manually calculated that nets 48.26 MPG. Computer was showing 50.1 MPG. With at least another gallon left to burn, I could have made the 600 club on my first tank had I know how much fuel I had burned to that point.

BTW 2013 SE Cmax left over, got a heck of a deal as it sat for nearly a year on the dealers lot.

Good job!   Go to trip and toggle right to get all the enhanced info. It's in the manual. :)

Paul

It has been a long time since I set them to give the additional info so I may not recall exactly but there are two settings for trip 1 and trip 2. When you are in trip 1 try hitting the right arrow. You will see that you are in standard mode. Change to enhanced mode and then your trip 1 will show the added info. Repeat for trip 2.

Congratulations! And welcome to the club shinytop!!! You are our 60th Member!!! :yahoo:  Can't wait to see what you do next!!

Congratz Shinytop, second tank - fab.!!!  That has got to feel   :jump_earth:.      :hat_tip:

Nothing wrong with going AC a bit and enjoying the summer to the fullest either !!!

Upside down works.  I think we all need to be turned upside down ocaisionally and shaken a bit; better yet, the other way around. ;)

(turned your pic right side up and shook it a bit, hope you don't mind)

post-328-0-16870400-1405092525_thumb.jpg

Edited by C-MaxSea