600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

:finger:

All of you 600+ milers are a TOTAL DISGRACE. You'll never set foot in Consumer Report building and will never get a job there.

:rtfm:  How dare you FLAUNT the CMax and drive the car 600+ miles a tank when the EXPERTS at CR says you only GET 38MPG, that 500 miles only!

oliver_twist_david_lean_0.jpg

No more MPGs for you lot....

:)

First 600+ mile tank today, our 3rd fill since purchase on March 26th, 2014.

attachicon.gifIMG_5273med.jpg

Pump showed 13.412 gallons, odometer displayed 614.3 miles, for a hand-calculated 45.802 mpg versus car's cheerfully optimistic display of 48.1 mpg.

And you don't even have 2,000 miles on the car yet!!! Imagine what you'll be doing when the car is *broken in*!! I'm going right now to add your name to the list. Congratulations kostby, and welcome to the 600+ Mile Club.

PS....I'm using the car's stated MPGs....that's what we've been using for everyone else.

Edited by Adair

First 600+ mile tank today, our 3rd fill since purchase on March 26th, 2014.

attachicon.gifIMG_5273med.jpg

Pump showed 13.412 gallons, odometer displayed 614.3 miles, for a hand-calculated 45.802 mpg versus car's cheerfully optimistic display of 48.1 mpg.

I'll make you feel alittle better, your Odometer is off 1.5%  so you actually went 623.5mi. and 46.5 MPG. Good Job! Put that info in Fuelly.com  :happy feet:

Paul

And there he goes :flyaway:, screaming by a host of us mere mortals !!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:  Great work RJ, it is an amazing machine in many ways. 

Mere, mere mortals can have a blast driving the C-Max in the thirties mpg, mere mortals fun and utility in the forties, and then there are the RJs out there that can fly this moon buggy to, well ....... the moon !!!

Congratz RJ, & on to greater heights of MPGdom,  :victory:

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Dynamite Wnuk, congratz !!!  :hat_tip:  Yes the EPA & CR numbers are most misleading, fundamentally because they focus on poor driving habits & averages rather than variability & opportunity. 

The beauty of the C-Max construct & build, is the opportunity to choose a driving style (by the minute, hour, day or 'lifetime') & reap built in efficiency benefits :) (or blow them up in smoke just having fun  ;) )

Keep on Maxing,

Nick

PS  EPA Highway 37 - absurd !  We can ECO Cruise all day at 65-67 mph and get 45+ mpg, all subject to weather (ASTW), of course. (Seattle area, all year round)

Edited by C-MaxSea

Well, I just couldn't resist. :)

After lurking and reading and digesting all the tricks of the hyper-miler trade that you gents (and ladies) have documented here........

I must admit that I placed a couple of restrictions on myself before I even considered participating:

1. I will NOT make anyone in a vehicle behind me participate unwillingly in my pursuit of joining this club.

2. I will NOT be concerned with accerlerating from a dead stop to the posted speed limit in EV mode. I just do not want to be a member that bad.

3. I will NOT travel below the posted speed limit. (Although if coasting can extend my EV and there is nobody behind me, I will include this technique in my strategy)

I also am willing to admit that on cool mornings, (70's) I did indeed choose to roll down the windows and benefit from the added efficiency of no AC. But I am on the coast of Texas. In July. There are few hours of the day that fall within that temperature range.

Anyways, it turns out is was almost childs play for this magic little chariot. What a delight it is turning out to be.

One other addmission is that I am not much of a carbon footprint concious fella. So I don't want to be a hypocrate. I am enjoying this simply because I am facinated and impressed with what we are, as a species, capable of achieving. Seems like nowadays, every time I go to sleep they invent something amazing. I wake to a new world. Simply fascinating.

cmax600.png?psid=1

Well stated Snakebitten & congratz !  It is indeed irresistible and mildly addictive for many of us;  and "almost child's play for this magic little chariot" ,as you say.  Now you can relax and just enjoy the C-Max, or engage further and 'shoot the moon'.  Love all of the references we have used to describe our C-Maxes; Moon Buggy, Stealth Fighter, Magic Chariot ........... it begs for new & creative descriptors.

Starship GG away,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Thanks for the welcome C-MaxSea.

I might add I didn't set the trip 2 meter until I had driven a few miles into the tank. Not many, but a few. I also didn't even think to squeeze any fuel into the tank beyone the initial auto-shutoff at the pump.

I suspect had I "prepared" for the challenge properly at the pump, I would have been a viable candidate for the 700 mile club.

Saying all that, I DID squeeze a bit of extra petrol (about a 1\4 of a gallon) into the current tank and immediately reset the trip 2 counter.

I'm going to see what happens if I do as you suggest and "relax and enjoy the C-Max", but use the now native techniques of driving the thing efficiently.

Again, thanks to all who have made the effort of teaching others the proper way to actively operate this thing. I'm thinking of dropping by my dealer and letting a couple of the fellas know that I am available to walk any potential customer throough the TRUTH about this car. I owe it forward, if you know what I mean. :)

Congratz Shinytop, second tank - fab.!!!  That has got to feel   :jump_earth:.      :hat_tip:

Nothing wrong with going AC a bit and enjoying the summer to the fullest either !!!

Upside down works.  I think we all need to be turned upside down ocaisionally and shaken a bit; better yet, the other way around. ;)

(turned your pic right side up and shook it a bit, hope you don't mind)

Nice work Shinytop it can be done even though CR says it can't which makes it even sweeter :thumbsup:

Edited by mtb9153

No, just a  regular SEL CMax (see my Mammoth thread for photos of the vehicle). You can see my odometer in the picture, I am telling you, I am seeing a lot of improvements with each 1K clicking over. It also helps Los Angeles is having 65-75 temps at the moment. Also, I'll disclose I use premium and 43 psi tires.

I have been contemplating trying 92 octane.  Does it really make a difference? 

I'm running 43-45 psi and never use a/c. 

I have been contemplating trying 92 octane.  Does it really make a difference? 

I'm running 43-45 psi and never use a/c. 

@Adrian_L - for me, I notice the difference the difference in gas - just like when my tires were down to 47.5 I thought the car was going a wee sluggish in the roll department so I pumped them to the 50-51PSI cold, and yeah, I can tell. Next refuel, load it up with 92. I can say I use the premium and another GREAT hypermiler here Matt aka Recumpence aka Mr.700 (first person to ever break this CMax sound barrier) also uses premium as well (not that I am speaking for him. Also, in one of the brochures from Ford in regards to hybrid driving - while they did not fully endorse premium since the Cmax is a regular, they did acknowledge better power from premium. I mean, try it yourself and make up your own mind....cause, as soon as this is posted, you betcha someone will come SCREAMING that I am all wrong. That's ok, none of them drive the miles and MPGs like I do but what do I know...

Just A Cmax,

Are you the kind fella most likely to update the Honor Role?

Not whining, promise. But would love to see my name in lights! :)

Actually, you might wait a few days. My current tank is forecasting the next milestone. (700)

I'm a couple of hundred miles into it and it is stating "Miles To Empty 577". (I realize anything could happen between now and then though)

Not sure why the continued increase in performance, because I'm actually trying less and relaxing more. Maybe that actually helps.

Cheers

I'm convinced it's worth a trial run and see what happens on Fuelly.com after 4 or 5 tanks.  I'm not sure what Pure Gas is, but Chevron 94 is the highest octane we can get this side of the border.

As an added bonus, Shell Premium is ethanol free.

Edited by Adrian_L

I'm convinced it's worth a trial run and see what happens on Fuelly.com after 4 or 5 tanks.  I'm not sure what Pure Gas is, but Chevron 94 is the highest octane we can get this side of the border.

Pure Gas has no Ethanol in it, so more BTU's by about 10%. That's what the EPA uses for their testing. :)

Paul

I'd LOVE to find a source for PURE gasoline. But alas, I live in an agrigultural part of the world and I would have to venture into the BIG city to find some. Not devoted enough to a small carbon footprint to subject myself to such a task.

I put it this way when the kids have asked "Dad, why did you raise us out here in the sticks?"

"Hmmmm, let's just say that I always felt that man was not meant to live where helicopters fly around at night with a search line on. You DO realize that if you see THEM, then whoever they are looking for is sure to be close by?"

Thus, I'll just have to be happy with my current ~55mpg. :)

About 350 miles into this tank, with the computer saying 412 miles to go until empty!

The way you are going Snakebitten, you don't need the extra energy of Pure Gas.  You have a great tank going - hold the posting Adair, a new PB is just about here.  (Actually do hope you are near Adair for all of the new stars here, including this likely double posting) 

Does your secret driving sauce have anything to do with the dexterity of riding a horse?  :) Gotta think that kind of foot dexterity relates to caring for the throttle of a C-Max somehow - feathering, as we say.

700 calling Snakebitten,  (no pressure you know ;))

Nick

I certainly sympathize with your urban / rural thoughts SB, many of us have feet (or at least thoughts) in both directions.  Nevertheless, there is something a bit disturbing about this lifestyle:

post-328-0-99752900-1406941287_thumb.jpg

Edited by C-MaxSea