600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

Dude, you're on fumes at 13.35 gal ..another roll of the wheel and your Max would have  :drop: 

Great job ptjones  :rockon:

I was sweating it a little, I went about 5mi past 0miles to empty. I wonder if anyone has run out of fuel and how many gal. they put in their tank? Walmart has some new gas cans with safety valve but I nor store clerk could figure out how to work it so I gave up.

BTW I found out you can get up to a gallon difference in a fill up by how level your car is.

Also I found out that when  the battery is 80%plus full, If you get throttle just right you can have no pointer on battery up or down. I could do this up to 15sec.

I had a weird thing happen on SF fwy in heavy traffic merging onto the fwy squeezing me out. I had to slam on my brakes to slow down to get in an opening next lane over and then floor it to merge. When I did a big white cloud of smoke came out of my tail pipe. I was only on the gas for 3sec. I haven't had anymore issues since.  

Sweating...dude...if the Max had a camera in your interior, you would be snorkelling in your car...   :hysterical: 

I'll give it to you, that was ballsy to take it to zero :worship: 

I have to try it sometime as I got my lil 1 gallon in reserve just in case.

I think we need to play with this battery high more. The more I am driving with this battery high mode, imo, the better the mileage and I am becoming a proponent of keeping it as high as possible, no more complete battery drains on the P&G. The benefits to ICE with a high battery is just there and there is no doubt we have to use the ICE as part of our driving. 

One thing I noted is that when you are 90% battery, just the pedal with steady acceleration or fast acceleration won't charge the battery anymore. The only way to push more batts is to P&G and let the coast charge the battery higher. I've also seen this "no charge" but thought it was curious. We will figure out what the Ford programmers have done with the mapping to see what our best techniques are to MAX our CMax mileage  :rockon: 

PS my last fill up was around 560+ miles with 29 to go according to the gauge. Close but the next day I need 90 miles so I have to fill.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Sweating...dude...if the Max had a camera in your interior, you would be snorkelling in your car... :hysterical:

I'll give it to you, that was ballsy to take it to zero :worship:

I have to try it sometime as I got my lil 1 gallon in reserve just in case.

I think we need to play with this battery high more. The more I am driving with this battery high mode, imo, the better the mileage and I am becoming a proponent of keeping it as high as possible, no more complete battery drains on the P&G. The benefits to ICE with a high battery is just there and there is no doubt we have to use the ICE as part of our driving.

One thing I noted is that when you are 90% battery, just the pedal with steady acceleration or fast acceleration won't charge the battery anymore. The only way to push more batts is to P&G and let the coast charge the battery higher. I've also seen this "no charge" but thought it was curious. We will figure out what the Ford programmers have done with the mapping to see what our best techniques are to MAX our CMax mileage :rockon:

PS my last fill up was around 560+ miles with 29 to go according to the gauge. Close but the next day I need 90 miles so I have to fill.

My trip gauge had 616.4mi,282.2EV,48.6mpg and 12.67gal. VS actual 623.8mi,13.35gal and 46.2mpg. I know I don't want to go past 12.5gal on trip gauge and I wasn't trying for new record it just worked out that way. It was either Needles +.30/gal vs Lake Havasu turn off 20mi farther and I was using EV for all it was worth. I need to get small gas can for trips, just in case. :)

post-143-0-17440700-1360683534_thumb.jpg

Edited by ptjones

My trip gauge had 616.4mi,282.2EV,48.6mpg and 12.67gal. VS actual 623.8mi,13.35gal and 46.2mpg. I know I don't want to go past 12.5gal on trip gauge and I wasn't trying for new record it just worked out that way.  It was either Needles +.30/gal vs Lake Havasu  turn off 20mi farther and I was using EV for all it was worth. I need to get small gas can for trips, just in case. :)

Updated on Post#1, major congratz. Yeah, go get one backup tank...I got mine and we WILL use it. Man, this is fun...sweat and all, or we're just plain nutz  ;) 

Yeah, well, one of us will find out.

Hey, what happened with the white smoke? What was your odo when it happened? PS you have PM

Probably 11,500mi and I just changed oil at ford at 9k mi. I haven't had a problem sense although I haven't floored it and that was my long distance record tank. I will put trip pic on here when I figure it out tomorrow. I should check my oil level to be safe.

post-143-0-87054900-1360683994_thumb.jpg

Edited by ptjones

Not quite 650 miles or anywhere near it...but   :yahoo:  604 miles for me with this tank, temps in 74F and it was a beautiful day.

Speaking of which, how often do we see this...hum to the song "Running on empty..."

8477279263_8e5ea61c53_c.jpg

More city in this one as thats what works call for...interesting is that there is ZERO vehicle range but the actual gas usage was 12.58 gallons and when I tanked up, it was around 12.8 gallons so....is there another 3/4 gallons in reserve that Ford has hidden from us and we don't see - just in case fools like me get to zero and need to get to a gas station, we have reserve....hmmmmmh.... :drool: 
8477278809_2747aedc92_c.jpg

Oh, don't try this without a spare gas cannister in the back. 

It's interesting that ptjones (45%) and I (50%) nearly get half of our mileage from EV, not too shabby imo considering our smaller battery sizes vs the larger Energis.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Ok, this is a simple club....clock 600 or more miles on one tank, take a picture of it and you're in... :yahoo: 

The 600+ mile roll:

ptjones (623.8 miles 13.35 gallons and 46.2MPG)

Jus-A-CMax (601.1miles, 12.49 gallons, 48.1MPG)

:shift: 

Now, some of you may ask what about freeway driving or city driving since mileage can vary so much - to which I say, just declare what fwy/city driving for this tank. It's all approximate anyway and if you clock more than 600 plus on all city driving, good for you cause you just saved a whole ton of gas as the bottom line.

Lets make this FUN as we have a very fun car to drive and all of us like to tinker and CMAX up our mileage.

8409905166_4a96b3d078_c.jpg

With this tank, I estimate around 70% Freeway in my daily commute to Camarillo, Oxnard, Woodland Hills, Ventura, Burbank, North Hollywood using the major freeways in and around the LA/Ventura county.

By the way, I have to confess I was sh*tting myself cause the red on the fuel gauge had practically no bar and the distance to empty still say 31miles as my Max rolled to the Costco pump station. In hindsight, this was dumb as I could have stranded myself with no gas (Hello AAA....... :sos: ) - so my word of advice for those who want to try this out - carry a extra fuel in a container, just in case.  

I know I am going to... ;)

Amazing mileage, I myself have not seen this much mpg for one tank.  My best reading is 43.5 average with 500 miles about 80% city and the rest freeway in sillycorn valley, Bay Area.

Amazing mileage, I myself have not seen this much mpg for one tank.  My best reading is 43.5 average with 500 miles about 80% city and the rest freeway in sillycorn valley, Bay Area.

mtb, whats your odo right now?

I think it all depends on your engine. ptjones has double my mileage at 12K and mine is 6K. I seriously think that this engine doesn't open up till past 5000 miles. As proof, look in the other Fuel Mileage thread where I lay out 3 trips to Mammoth mountain at various stages of my Max's engine life and you can see the improvement. Also, I've changed my driving to keep the battery level as high as possible as priority and not let it run down....give that a go. For me, I see better and more effective use of the battery at this level as compared to the lower third charge where it dwindles in no time flat and practically useless (the result of running too long of a P&G with no decent charge cycle). My 2c.

On my record trip My trip gauge had 12.67gal and it took 13.35gal.  I have had a differential up to one gallon difference on a tank so I get nerves at 12.5gal. No one has run out of gas yet  so we don't know how far we can go. On my record trip I went 4.5mi past zero mile to empty and I was EVing like crazy the last 15mi.

Maybe this tank I will run it to empty and carry gas can at the end of tank and record how many mi. past empty, how many gal. I used and how many it actually takes to fill it up. It would be nice to know in a emergency.

Question

Anybody know where the fuel pump is located?

Comment

All the cars we've owned for the past few yrs have the pump in the tank.

The miles to 0 was set to keep a gallon or more in the tank to cool the pump.

Warning

By taking the tank to empty you may damage your fuel pump.

Which could result in big $'s to replace.

OR worse could result in a prolonged lean condition which could destroy :cry: your motor.

Comming from a 350 miles per tank MKX we're REALLY looking forward to 450 to 500 + :yahoo:  miles per tank.

wab

Question

Anybody know where the fuel pump is located?

Comment

All the cars we've owned for the past few yrs have the pump in the tank.

The miles to 0 was set to keep a gallon or more in the tank to cool the pump.

Warning

By taking the tank to empty you may damage your fuel pump.

Which could result in big $'s to replace.

OR worse could result in a prolonged lean condition which could destroy :cry: your motor.

Comming from a 350 miles per tank MKX we're REALLY looking forward to 450 to 500 + :yahoo:  miles per tank.

wab

Fuel pump would only be on when ICE is on  and if you run out why would you the ignition on? I don't think IMO that you could run lean more than a very short time.  I in-reverently ran out gas in my 2010 FEH with no problems, turn out gas tank .2 gal smaller than 15gals it was suppose to be. I think stopping as soon as it happens is a good idea. The FEH took about  1/2mi to run out.   

• 2 weeks later...
 I did notice that Ford roadside assistance says that they will bring you a couple gal of gas free if needed... so you can roll on to see how far it goes... but you'll have to wait for them to come and gas you up!

I ran mine out of gas on purpose but had 2gal of gas on board which I didn't need. I ran out about 100 yards from gas station so I EV it over. 13.86gals is the magic number or 13.09gal on trip gauge. 12.5 on trip is safe, I have done it several times.

I was running on red the other day, "low gas" messages popping up, "18 miles to E".  Wasn't brave enough to keep going.  Turns out (per gauge) that I actually had only run through 11.69 gal. 

Don't sweat this Ron, both of us have got way past zero on red and theres still "plenty" of gas left in the tank. It takes a while to get used to the new "balls" when seeing :rant2: .   ;) 

Side issue - whats your diff between your "used" gallons and what you're filling up?

Jus, I just noticed that you are also in the 600+ postings club!  :worship:   Something for all of us to aspire to!  Thanks for sharing so much of your experience and ideas -- and humor!  (One more posting for me: I'm getting there!).

Thanks Ron! You're more than welcome...I didn't even notice, made my night, working on a bunch of appraisal reports at the moment-whatta way to spend Sat night  :nonono:  

However, in my past life, I have done 20,000 postings ...yes, I was a "post-whore" then...but now I am enjoying life instead except when I am stuck to the computer  ;)

Yep...one of the reasons why I like forums better than FB or other social sites, great place to share and care. a more community spirit - long live the CMax!

Edited by Jus-A-CMax