600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

• 2 weeks later...
I was running on red the other day, "low gas" messages popping up, "18 miles to E".  Wasn't brave enough to keep going.  Turns out (per gauge) that I actually had only run through 11.69 gal. 

on my last tank I took mine down to only 1 mile from empty.  Took more than 12 gallons to refill @ $4.11 per gallon.  Glad this only happens to me once every week.

How about a potential 800 miles per tank. In the second photo in my signature you'll see 58.7 miles driven on .99 gallons. No plugin power was used on this trip. That is what the 0.0 kwh shows. The Energi has a 14 gallon tank. 58.7 miles times 14 gallons gives you exactly 821.8 miles. The possibility is there folks. If you haven't tried my "Surfing" technique yet, why not? It's not like I'm charging for it! The proof is in the photos.  DozerBob

Edited by DozerBob

• 2 weeks later...
Yea, I've had two tanks in a row with over 600 miles, and both times I put in less than 10 gallons. Over on the Energi forums, the challenge was for a 100mpg tank, and someone got that pretty quickly. The plug and the big battery is a massive game-changer, and I'm loving it.

How in the world do you get 2 tanks in a row at 600 miles?  I have to work my butt off to pull out a 500 miler.  Very interested to know the secret.  Of course it doesn't help me that in the mornings I have the heater at 74 and in the afternoon drive home I have the A/C on.

How in the world do you get 2 tanks in a row at 600 miles?

I probably shouldn't tell you this, but now my last two tanks were both over 700 miles, and I had 1/4 of a tank left each time. :)

The secret is to have a very large battery, a charger, and a plug. The C-Max Energi is what I have. I drive all week without starting my engine, and all my gas usage is from weekend trips.

How in the world do you get 2 tanks in a row at 600 miles?  I have to work my butt off to pull out a 500 miler.  Very interested to know the secret.  Of course it doesn't help me that in the mornings I have the heater at 74 and in the afternoon drive home I have the A/C on.

mtb - it can be done :)  . I've had 4 tanks in the 600 miles, running on fumes at the end and always carrying a spare 2 gallons in the back. Its a question of terrain, temperature and driving habits. What I find is that I vary between 600 to 612 and I usually have about 25 miles spare before it really goes red line (thanks to ptjones for giving us the threshold). I drive everywhere but I pretty much know my roads which help and I choose my route carefully to take advantage of the terrain. For example to go from San Fernando to Westlake Village - most people will take the 405-101 route. But what I found out is that if I climb a bit to Rocky Peak and then I use Box Canyon I just done one end of the valley (118 to 101) with a full battery at the end as I approach the 101.. Plus Box Canyon is the MOST FUN route to drive with the canyon roads and narrow, tight turns but spectacular views of the Simi Valley and San Fernando valley and very little stop lights. Sometimes going a little way out also improves your MPG but it's your call. I've had posters here flame me for spending too much time over MPGs but its my car and I drive it the way I want and if I want FAST, I can do that and if I want super MPG, I can also do that...what a car! Hope this makes sense.... :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Time for money, or in this case gas! I love drives off the beaten path. I like scenery. I do not like the interstate. If you have the time you can really enjoy trips. I took the scenic route the last two trips. I totally enjoyed the drive. Saw some small towns and did some research on them once I was home.

Time for money, or in this case gas! I love drives off the beaten path. I like scenery. I do not like the interstate. If you have the time you can really enjoy trips. I took the scenic route the last two trips. I totally enjoyed the drive. Saw some small towns and did some research on them once I was home.

Post'em up Rachel...  :wub2:  scenic shots  :drool:

Jus-A-CMax, very interesting comments thanks for sharing them and Rachel as well.  I didn't realize MikeB was driving an Energi.  I should have been suspicious with those numbers.  I would be enveyous of his numbers but I can't do anything about it since I own a hybrid.  Frankly I wouldn't want to sacrifice cargo space for that big battery unit just to gain another 100 or 200 miles per tank.  But that's just me.

mtb - it can be done :)  . I've had 4 tanks in the 600 miles, running on fumes at the end and always carrying a spare 2 gallons in the back. Its a question of terrain, temperature and driving habits. What I find is that I vary between 600 to 612 and I usually have about 25 miles spare before it really goes red line (thanks to ptjones for giving us the threshold). I drive everywhere but I pretty much know my roads which help and I choose my route carefully to take advantage of the terrain. For example to go from San Fernando to Westlake Village - most people will take the 405-101 route. But what I found out is that if I climb a bit to Rocky Peak and then I use Box Canyon I just done one end of the valley (118 to 101) with a full battery at the end as I approach the 101.. Plus Box Canyon is the MOST FUN route to drive with the canyon roads and narrow, tight turns but spectacular views of the Simi Valley and San Fernando valley and very little stop lights. Sometimes going a little way out also improves your MPG but it's your call. I've had posters here flame me for spending too much time over MPGs but its my car and I drive it the way I want and if I want FAST, I can do that and if I want super MPG, I can also do that...what a car! Hope this makes sense.... :)

I have done everything I know to pull out three 500+ mile tanks, one at 500 flat, another at 515, and one at 520.  Those are my best tanks.  To get them I was running on fumes at the end.  On the 520 tank the gauge said 1 mile to empty.  The 515 tank was a bit more before empty.  I just don't know how to get more?  Or even if the car in it's present configuration is capable for getting more.  Just when I think I've got a good shot at a 600mile tank after posting 300+ miles on the first half of the tank.  The second half is less than the first with only 175 or 200miles.  My second half away's seems to go more quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

I am lucky, I have a top class car with a great sound system that gives great mileage and how much do I trust the mileage? - I thought I would share this experience...

I started the day with 4 miles in the miles left, red tank and TRIP1 reporting 578 miles on the tank. I needed to go to the gym and then I was going swing by Ralphs (to pick up some schnapps) and then off to the Burbank Costco to finally fuel up...I did the calculations and this was a 25-27 mile trip....this should be all possible with "4 miles left" on the tank....right ? :drool:

So this is my run from home to the gym...

8615872378_a28a0619f5_z.jpg
I have plotted this on google maps numerous times before and it's a decent run. Looks flat, over a bridge from 118 to 5 and then 170 freeways and then a small section along Victory. This is the route I also use to test the eco-cruise vs P&G vs ICE High MPG thread.

Then after the gym, this was my Trip 1 before I head to my 2 more stops:
8614765031_53d92afe3f_z.jpg

I should be sweating but I am not. Thanks to ptjones, I have a great idea what the limits of my car are and its not the 1st, or the 2nd or the 3rd time I've driven in the red...plus I know the road to my next few stops - got to head down to Burbank and then finally - Costco in Burbank....and this is my final stat as I sat at Burbank Costco....
8615871894_dc56830166_z.jpg

This was the final Trip 1 tank before the fill up. 
8614797375_1a5e7d9d4e_z.jpg

My fill up was actually 12.823 gallons so that is a 0.295 diff between what was reported in Maxine as used, and the actual filling. If Ford is accurate, then I am still in a very safe zone with 0.67 gallons left with an estimated 30 miles buffering left - but I am not going to push it. I would cut it off at 13.0 gallons on the dot from Maxine's reading.

Topography - flat, flat, flat. Temps were a nice 71*, no wind with light traffic. The gym to Burbank Costco was street at 35mph.

Now, it's not always possible to hit the 600 miles per tank all the time and it depends on my jobs. If I had to climb the Malibu hills or hit Ventura, I would have tanked up instantly as I don't think the "4 miles" left would take me to the Simi Valley Costco, not with the Rocky Peak to climb. However, today was my day off so the timing was perfect. This is my 5th 600th tank and ptjones is also regularly hitting the 600 tanks as well so IT IS POSSIBLE TO MAXIMIZE YOUR TANK - with the terrain, driving habits and the temperatures are right. So far, its been pretty right for me and for my jobs. 

Side story - a couple of days ago, I thought I would have easily added at least 10 more miles but when you climb the grade between Camarillo and Newbury Park (for those who know this climb) and at 65+ mph, that is a real MPG killer. 

The temps in Los Angeles are always consistent and rarely cold except in the mornings - so I am lucky. 

PS Always carry a spare 2 gallon tank if you're going to push the max out of the CMax tank.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I could have made it (most likely) but it was Friday evening and I had to leave early the next morning for a 60 plus mile trip  and did not want to take time to stop and fill up. I don't like taking a chance of running out of gas and did not know if I could trust the MTE. 

post-92-0-41816300-1364983650_thumb.jpg

I could have made it (most likely) but it was Friday evening and I had to leave early the next morning for a 60 plus mile trip  and did not want to take time to stop and fill up. I don't like taking a chance of running out of gas and did not know if I could trust the MTE. 

attachicon.gifTank 3-14-13.jpg

Almost!!!!!!!! I would not have worried, you're only on yellow which means you have at least 50 there, red comes on at about 15 miles for me but I know for a fact, I can keep going another 25 underneath it (as my post above shows).

1. Carry a spare gas. I always post my results with this warning.

2. With 1. u don't have to worry about running out of gas and with 2 gallons, thats at least a 80 mile range. I've never ran out of gas and if u read up, ptjones ran out at about a little over 13 gallon. The "miles estimated" is stupid so u really have to keep an eye on your Trip 1 gallons used.

I think next time (with u carrying a spare gallon), its definitely doable - just don't burn a ton of gas like I did climbing the Conejo grade (thanks Ron for the reminder!).

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I remember (oh so many years ago) climbing the Conejo grade from Camarillo in my trusty Datsun 510.  The temp gauge was usually in the red half way up -- had to pray that I'd get to the top before it exploded.  Tough on MPG for sure!

Thanks Ron...could not recall the name of that grade. Its a ton of fun going down that grade though!!!! Full battery by Santa Rosa definitely!!!

That is so awesome cgul!!!

I'm gonna send this link to Autoline Detroit and John McElroy. I heard some hybrid trash talk on the way to work today. He needs to hear from real people driving their C-Maxs!

I have yet to hear positive about CMax's mileage. The other forum truly trash the CMax and yet none of them own or drive it like a few of us. My point is that with this club, 2 of us have hit this mark 5 or more time now - it's not luck, it can be done and cgul is about to hit his, just needs to trust his car. Soon even u will be doing this when the weather warms up - trust me on this one  :)  Its either u, rachel or laurel...one of the ladies have to be put up there in this club - - - can't wait  :happy feet:

Thanks Ron...could not recall the name of that grade. Its a ton of fun going down that grade though!!!! Full battery by Santa Rosa definitely!!!

I have yet to hear positive about CMax's mileage. The other forum truly trash the CMax and yet none of them own or drive it like a few of us. My point is that with this club, 2 of us have hit this mark 5 or more time now - it's not luck, it can be done and cgul is about to hit his, just needs to trust his car. Soon even u will be doing this when the weather warms up - trust me on this one  :)  Its either u, rachel or laurel...one of the ladies have to be put up there in this club - - - can't wait  :happy feet:

I just sent an email to John McElroy of Auto Line Detroit. If he replies, I'll report back.

Almost!!!!!!!! I would not have worried, you're only on yellow which means you have at least 50 there, red comes on at about 15 miles for me but I know for a fact, I can keep going another 25 underneath it (as my post above shows).

1. Carry a spare gas. I always post my results with this warning.

2. With 1. u don't have to worry about running out of gas and with 2 gallons, thats at least a 80 mile range. I've never ran out of gas and if u read up, ptjones ran out at about a little over 13 gallon. The "miles estimated" is stupid so u really have to keep an eye on your Trip 1 gallons used.

I think next time (with u carrying a spare gallon), its definitely doable - just don't burn a ton of gas like I did climbing the Conejo grade (thanks Ron for the reminder!).

I won't try to make the 600 mile club anymore as I don't care to carry spare gas for that. I just skipped filling the tank one week to see how much gas was in the tank when the low fuel warning came on.