600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

I wasn't interest in watching my miles to empty go down to zero or below, so I reset my trip odometer #1 at a fill-up, did not reset it at the next fill up and checked how many gallons I had used when trip odometer #1 reached 600 miles.

13.39 gallons for 614 miles (346.5 EV miles) at 45.8mpg

post-383-0-46227700-1366056003_thumb.jpg

If we can avoid another day with 35 degree temp and sleet, I know we can do better.

I wasn't interest in watching my miles to empty go down to zero or below, so I reset my trip odometer #1 at a fill-up, did not reset it at the next fill up and checked how many gallons I had used when trip odometer #1 reached 600 miles.

13.39 gallons for 614 miles (346.5 EV miles) at 45.8mpg

attachicon.gifphoto 600.JPG

If we can avoid another day with 35 degree temp and sleet, I know we can do better.

lol, you'll get the credit next time...on 1 tank, nice try daveofdurham  :rockon:

Updated Post#1 with Recumpence 604 miles and 643.3 miles from moi today (my 7th tank)..and this one was an adventure...even scared me for a while...I'll post it in another post. Wifey can't say I don't MAX my Maxine  :)

650 is doable, already clocked 2 x 640+ tanks :rockon:  

700 is tough unless you don't drive any hills/mountains and keep to speed < 55mph where the Max is most efficient and do it all week long. I think after so many tanks, for my line of work and terrain, 640 to 650 miles per tank is it for me and it's literally running on fumes when I hit the Costco gas station.

Good stuff Recumpence, lets get some more numbers up there and shoot some pics for the forums, everyone's got a camera phone right  ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Well, I finally reset my trip odometer for this tank. That way I can get a good picture for all of you.

Here is what is strange, when I pulled into the station to fill up, the car said I had one mile of fuel left. But, I filled up at only 12.77 gallons. I even reclicked the filler to make sure it was topped off. Strange........

Anyway, I am at 93 miles on this tank at 54.4mpg for those miles. The gas guage has not even dropped the tiniest bit yet.

I had a couple cool trips today. One was 9.7 miles at 62.2 mpg and one was 4.2 miles at 71.7mpg. It is a balancing act between terrain, temperature, speed, driving style, etc. If you max everything out (pun intended), the mpg absolutely skyrockets!

I also took a video of me doing some P&G today. It is a bit shaky, though. I need to get a Go-Pro.

I love this car..........

Matt

Well, I finally reset my trip odometer for this tank. That way I can get a good picture for all of you.

Here is what is strange, when I pulled into the station to fill up, the car said I had one mile of fuel left. But, I filled up at only 12.77 gallons. I even reclicked the filler to make sure it was topped off. Strange........

Anyway, I am at 93 miles on this tank at 54.4mpg for those miles. The gas guage has not even dropped the tiniest bit yet.

I had a couple cool trips today. One was 9.7 miles at 62.2 mpg and one was 4.2 miles at 71.7mpg. It is a balancing act between terrain, temperature, speed, driving style, etc. If you max everything out (pun intended), the mpg absolutely skyrockets!

I also took a video of me doing some P&G today. It is a bit shaky, though. I need to get a Go-Pro.

I love this car..........

Matt

Theres always discrepancy. I've had 1 instance where Maxine reported more gas used than what I filled up but most of the time, Maxine is under reporting by about 0.2 to 0.5 gallons and it varies, pump to pump. Which is why I just always based my miles left judgement on the gallons used - to me this is the most consistent (hope it is anyway).

Matt - at those MPGs, it sounds like doable but it's still ways to go. ptjones did originally say a 700 is doable but I dunno, imo it needs the right conditions to do it but not conditions available to me and my work, but perhaps your end is better suited. What kind of terrain and speeds are you driving? 

I agree.

I live in norhtern Illinois. Our roads are rough (we live in a politically crooked state. They seem to refuse to fix the roads). We have lots of rolling hills (mourain hills). My average speed through the say is about 30 to 35mph. The speed is what is keeping my mpg up so high (44.2mpg lifetime). Those miles were all done through our harsh winter. I do in home appliance repair and this is my work car.

I really need to post a picture of the interior of my car. It is hillarious. I have my parts filling the entire rear of the car and the cockpit has my scan-gauge, a DVD player mounted on a TIG welded bracket fastened to the dash, and my Samsung 7.7 tablet on my visor for parts research. I spend the majority of my day in my car. I love it!

The only downside of using this car for work is, I cannot pay as much attention to P&G when I am talking on the phone with a customer. On the flip side, this car is so quiet and the hands free works so well, it makes a wonderful mobile office. Part of the reason I bought this car is because I let my secretary go so I could do all of my own office work and use that money to pay for the car. Turns out, the car is nearly free from the gas savings over my minivan. I also closed my shop down and moved it to my garage. That saved me enough per month to make the rest of the car payment. So, in the end, I have a $30k car for....  Wait for it.....  FREE!

I am blessed to have a business that allows me to drive such a nice car. My mileage deduction is $.55 per mile. I will drive 35,000 miles this year (or more). So, I actually am being paid to drive this thing when I think about it........

I just hope it proves to be a reliable car. I hate to think about what an inverter would cost me.......

Anyway, back on topic.  :)

Matt

Edited by Recumpence

Wow, I thought I was spending too much time but it sounds like you practically have a kitchen and a bed in your CMax there  ;)

Thats the thing, I could move my office to the car in between jobs but I am hesitant to do that, this is my car and its going to stay a car and not convert it to an office. Plus my wife would go nutz if I start hanging stuff from the car or glue things or attach things. I still have to carry her around when we go on our snow trips.

Yeah, at those speeds, that is strength of the CMax EV, no wonder you easily get those MPGs, as compared to me going up and down those canyons and between valley freeway/roads.

Go get those miles Recumpence :rockon:

PS I Nearly thought about starting a thread about not spending so much time and taking a day off from my CMax but then again, I thought - theres probably about a handful of drivers who spend the hours there like you and I, the other 98% just  :wub2:  more time in their cars. Disaster, be like wishing a blizzard while lounging in the warm Hawaiian beaches  ;)

I just joined the club.........HOORAY

600.1 miles, 47.8 mpg at 12.54 gallons

Post #1 updated. Congratulations catsailor, you're in like Flynn... :)

Thats 4 CMax owner drivers from across the States who can get 600+ miles a tank :hi5: ....so much for the 37MPG car by CR, as Carmen (South Park) would say....##$%# @### 1@!@!  ;) 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

gotta tell u all, it was NOT that difficult, I think holding to posted speed limits and just learning to drive and glide and hypermile is what it was about. Fill up April 8 th to fill up April 23 rd and all driving distances and conditions. I actually pulled my mpg average up driving to and returning from Fredrickburg VA today. I had over 50 mpg on the return trip home about +40 miles.

Yes, yes, yes catsailor - it can be done easily but as I posted in my review - only if you're "comfortable" going that low on the fuel, which some people are not. I don't blame them, some people have errands to run or kids to drop off and can't afford to play up, or just don't want to carry a spare tank. Fair enuf. 

This is the 1st 600 tank, the next one is easier to do because you've now psychologically broken the thru this 1st barrier and it gets easier and easier, each tank and you'll push the limits of the tank up to the 13.0 gallons used, and clock more miles per tank. Watch...

By the way, my advice is to just watch the gallons used, the yellow/red and zero miles left warnings are useless as my "Nutz" thread proves. With red, zero in the estimated and a Pacific Palisades grade to climb, it should not have been possible but it can be done, and then throw in another bonus canyon road: Topanga Canyon. Ssssh...the stuff I do in with this car.

Well this is my last attempt at +600 miles since when I got to 575 miles and I was on empty I drove the roads less congested and closer to gas stations since I wanted to play it safe and NOT get stuck in RT 95 rush hour traffic with no gas in tank. I don't know what I get for being in the club aside from saying that we now have FOUR (4) C Max'es that have done this feat plus I know what my tank limits are. I also see with warmer weather my gas numbers going higher as my last tank was 43.5 and this one is 47.8 so who knows what the next one is but right now I have a 49 mgp average since last fill up :)

catsailor, I tried to get some sort of forum badge for us on this forum but I've not heard anything from robertlane or adair. It will be kinda like in the section underneath the avatar where it current says "C-MAX Hybrid Member" we may have a "600 Mile C-Max Club Member" underneath it. I know they can do this on other boards but its a question of software and thats Robertlane's territory. The best thing is a avatar bage with a CMax and "600" on it, that would be cool but someone has to come up with the graphics for that  :)

I think its worthy of that - given we are making such strides on the CMax front.

So, for now, lets just carry a link in the signature as a token of membership. I am hoping to get at least 6 to 10 members before summer has ended, that includes Adair.... :sing_rain:

Well, I am at 313 miles on this tank averaging 51.6mpg so far (indicated). I have about 55% of my tank left according to the gas gauge graph. It says "366 miles left". I highly doubt it. But, I am pushing for 650 miles on this tank. I am on to a good start. Of course, if the weather goes bad, I am screwed........

Wish me luck.  :)

Matt

Edited by Recumpence

catsailor, I tried to get some sort of forum badge for us on this forum but I've not heard anything from robertlane or adair. It will be kinda like in the section underneath the avatar where it current says "C-MAX Hybrid Member" we may have a "600 Mile C-Max Club Member" underneath it. I know they can do this on other boards but its a question of software and thats Robertlane's territory. The best thing is a avatar bage with a CMax and "600" on it, that would be cool but someone has to come up with the graphics for that  :)

I think its worthy of that - given we are making such strides on the CMax front.

So, for now, lets just carry a link in the signature as a token of membership. I am hoping to get at least 6 to 10 members before summer has ended, that includes Adair.... :sing_rain:

When the 600 mile club badges are presented, I suggest that "Running on Empty" by Jackson Browne be played

VIDEO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYRtOPUonA

LYRICS - http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/jackson+browne/running+on+empty_20068510.html

and all the medalists join in on the chorus -

Running on-running on empty

Running on-running blind

Running on-running into the sun

But I'm running behind

I think I've had some 600 mile tanks, altho no pics (I'm too much of a scaredy cat to run myself out of gas on purpose), but I've seen 300 miles to E pop up at the halfway mark. I have over 4600 miles on it and I would say I drive about 2/3rds city.

Catmobile, with those stats, you should be clocking it up.

However, I don't think the intention is to run out of gas on purpose here and after 7 tanks with 600+ miles each, with my Maxine, she will comfortably do up to 615 miles with spare gas left in the tank. However, sometimes this gets "stretched" to the limits when ptjones (who actually is the only CMaxer to run out of gas) and I push the limits, my "Nutz" for example, but don't try that at home (as they say on TV ;) ). And I carry spare gas anyway just because I may get a last minute call to drive additional miles and away from the Costco stations, our preferred place to tank up. As I always said, its not for everyone but next time if you do, whip out your camera phone... :)

Does anybody know... When it says 'xxx miles to E,' does that exclude any gas reserve?

Good question. I don't know. But I do know its based on the conservative side and also your recent MPG history to determine the miles left....which is why I rely on gallons used in the tank TRIP instead at the end. Conservative because as I found out and as others, hitting red and zero miles does not mean a splutter to a stop immediately. For me, there is at least 20 to 30 miles left in the tank (assuming a flat terrain here).

UPDATED Post #1 Added a little "logo" for the thread  :rockon:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax