600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

Here in Michigan premium can cost 20% more than regular, so a 4% increase in fuel economy isn't economically justified...

Here it is 9% for a 4% improvement in MPG's good enough for me.  On this thread it is all about getting the best mileage( 600+ Mile Club) on a tank of gas, it doesn't matter how you do it.  In Alaska all they have is Ethanol Free. :)  :shift:

Paul

Raise your tires to 50PSI, Use Premium and go to 0 E(Zero miles to empty, you can go at least 20 miles past E and I have gone 60mi.). Good Luck and good job!  :yahoo:

Paul

The miles to empty was already about 7 miles past zero when I filled up. I didn't want to temp fate by pushing things since I have never been that low before. Even my other 700 mile tanks still had some miles to empty on the display.

SnowStorm I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.  My experience is that I use Premium pretty much exclusively with ethanol free only when I'm trying to break my record, it is just to expensive to use regularly.  About a month ago I filled up at BJ's and the pump malfunctioned and gave me Regular instead of Premium and my gas mileage dropped 2mpg for that tank.  It was so obvious the before filling up I was getting 55mpg and after 53mpg.   Ethanol Free is worth  about 1mpg more than Premium. With 177 fillups I know my car pretty well. :)

Paul

Well, you will, I think,  be disagreeing with a lot of others here and certainly with a lot of websites.  Now I don't want to just argue about it (our cars are too much fun for that!) but I do want to keep others from thinking that "premium" (other things equal!) will help them hit their mileage goal.  Over 60% of your fillups changed more than 2 mpg from the previous one and some by 5 mpg so I don't see how a 2 mpg jump from a "malfunctioned" pump is all that significant.  The great part is that we can all buy as we like and still get great mileage in a really fun car! :)

SS

Well, you will, I think,  be disagreeing with a lot of others here and certainly with a lot of websites.  Now I don't want to just argue about it (our cars are too much fun for that!) but I do want to keep others from thinking that "premium" (other things equal!) will help them hit their mileage goal.  Over 60% of your fillups changed more than 2 mpg from the previous one and some by 5 mpg so I don't see how a 2 mpg jump from a "malfunctioned" pump is all that significant.  The great part is that we can all buy as we like and still get great mileage in a really fun car! :)

SS

Jus uses Premium. :)   I think we have been over this in the pass.  Our CMAX's come with knock sensors to tell the ECM to retard timing of the ICE to stop harmful detonation .  The higher the octane of gas the more you can advance the ICE ignition timing and the better your MPG wii be.

SS said: "Over 60% of your fillups changed more than 2 mpg from the previous one and some by 5 mpg so I don't see how a 2 mpg jump from a "malfunctioned" pump is all that significant. "      

With 177 fillups I'm amazed you spent the time to figure that out. LOL :lol2:   I usually have notes on my Fillups on Fuelly to note drivings conditions, Like temps, rain, winds, snow, Gas used, A/C use, where I fillup etc.  In my travels around the country I get better MPG's in some areas than others, I can tell very quickly after fillup whether my MPG's are improving or getting worse which can be caused by the fuel used.   A/c use on short trips kills MPG's.  Rain is an another MPG's killer.  And as we all know Temperature can have a big effect on FE,  I remember one trip during the winter coming back from AZ, I gassed up in FT Smith,AR and it was 65*F, but by the time I got to Memphis(200mi. later), it was 35*F and my FE dropped by at least 6mpg.  Bottom line is there are a lot of factors that effect FE which you don't have control over, but driving style is one you can control and can have a big effect on MPG's too. :) 

Paul

I made it to the 600 club. I don't think its too bad for being a new guy, I have only had the car for about the last 1,000 miles! I was freaking out the entire treacherous journey to the gas station coasting on fumes. I should have taken your advice about the gas can. Next time! Just as an FYI this was on a full tank of E15.

post-3276-0-05610500-1440791246_thumb.jpg

Edited by thedman

I made it to the 600 club. I don't think its too bad for being a new guy, I have only had the car for about the last 1,000 miles! I was freaking out the entire treacherous journey to the gas station coasting on fumes. I should have taken your advice about the gas can. Next time! 

Good job! :yahoo: You could have gone another 30mi. at least. LOL  :happy feet: When you reach 0E miles to empty you should be able to go 30miles farther.  :shift:

Paul

I get a little freaked out running it down to fumes, I know my mom was a repeat offender of that and had to get a couple fuel pumps replaced because of it. Those were GM's though. This time I put in E10 regular, so hopefully I should make it to 600 with many miles to spare. I'll try E0 someday once I find a place that sells it. 

I get a little freaked out running it down to fumes, I know my mom was a repeat offender of that and had to get a couple fuel pumps replaced because of it. Those were GM's though. This time I put in E10 regular, so hopefully I should make it to 600 with many miles to spare. I'll try E0 someday once I find a place that sells it. 

Just a reminder CMAX has 13.9-14gal tank, how many gallons did it take?  Just got a 718mi tank(actual 733.8mi) 12.86g(actual13.2g, two clicks) and 55.7 vs 55.6mpg actual. BTW I'd try Premium to if you can tell the difference. :)

Paul

Just a reminder CMAX has 13.9-14gal tank, how many gallons did it take?  Just got a 718mi tank(actual 733.8mi) 12.86g(actual13.2g, two clicks) and 55.7 vs 55.6mpg actual. BTW I'd try Premium to if you can tell the difference. :)

Paul

Just to make sure I understand, the official capacity of the C-Max Hybrid is 13.5 gallons. I'm curious if you are confusing it with the C-Max Energi, which does have a 14 gallon tank, or if there is a .5 gallon reserve that Ford does not count as part of the official capacity?

Just to make sure I understand, the official capacity of the C-Max Hybrid is 13.5 gallons. I'm curious if you are confusing it with the C-Max Energi, which does have a 14 gallon tank, or if there is a .5 gallon reserve that Ford does not count as part of the official capacity?

13.9-14 galllons is what the tank will hold if you run it where the gas pickup can't pickup anymore and then fill it up depending on how level the car is.  The CMAX and FFH have about .5 gallon extra room. I have actually tested these cars to come up with these numbers. :)

Paul

• 1 month later...

i've been filling up normally in the mid 500's  closest gas station to me is 5 miles away on my to/from work.  so if I pass it by.  its another 10 miles until I get back to it, and I normally don't like fueling up inthe morning.  it means I have to leave even earlier so it means another 20 miles. until I pass it on my way home.  there are other gas stations, but this is is right off the road I'm driving on so its real convinent.  and far enough away from DC to not get the huge markups.

basically if you average and mpg indicated of 45 or above  getting to 600 should be easy.  but its still a nail biter when the gauge turns red though...

miles     gallons   mpg

608.00 12.410 48.99
528.00 12.000 44.00
587.40 12.360 47.52
608.00 12.400 49.03

585.00 11.700 50.00
554.00 11.710 47.31
568.00 12.060 47.10
561.00 11.880 47.22

583.00 12.400 47.02
1,074.00 23.300 46.09  (big trip saved fuel recpits and entered as one tank)

463.00 11.600 39.91
2,466.00 62.000 39.77  (trip to FLA and back in february drove through snow storm entered all receipts as one tank.)
505.00 13.000 38.85

480.00 12.400 38.71
520.00 12.500 41.60
598.00 13.100 45.65
570.00 12.800 44.53
640.80 13.080 48.99
603.00 13.200 45.68
487.00 11.500 42.35
548.40 12.700 43.18
576.30 13.700 42.07
523.00 11.700 44.70
521.00 12.000 43.42
372.00 8.600 43.26
536.00 12.310 43.54
137.00 3.060 44.77
547.90 12.800 42.80  Tank #1

Edited by Marc Smith

post-1320-0-02908200-1444831787_thumb.jpg

You inspired me to do something similar, but graphically. As one might expect in the temperate climate zone, it's bi-modal, winter and summer, with tails to the extremes at the seasonal extremes; longest range of 707 was near Summer Solstice, and 54.2 MPG is the highest indicated tank (53.1 pump).

Have fun,

Frank

frank  fuelly does a similar graph but with MPG  my MPG started going down in NOV  (winter fuel and heater use) and did not start  climbing again until march.

something always seems to screw me up on a tank.  bad weather or some highway miles, rain,  ect...

I hope this winter I can do better than 38.  my florida trip really hurt  highway through snow...

and I know I keep talking about putting grill blockers on.  but  its juts not high on the priority list...

frank  fuelly does a similar graph but with MPG...

Really? They do plot monthly average MPG for the last year, but that's a time track, not a distribution. A roller coaster, not twin peaks.

And thinking about it, that distribution is skewed to the low side by partial tanks. I don't always put in 13 gal.... in fact, some of my highest tank MPGs are partials.

Have fun,

Frank

I could a .1 gallon partial tank fill from the house to the service station.  and get like 250 mpg...  so  yes yous see the spike  but  it could easily be discounted. and it won't really affect your avg MPG  since i think fuelly is traking total gallons and  total miles overall and not just adding tanks and averaging

most to of my fillip are in the 10-12 gallon range  and and I can't think that I've ever done a partial fill

if you click on the  chart all fillups  http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/c-max/2013/fbov/223863/fuelchart

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/c-max/2013/marcsmith/292586/fuelchart

yes is a line graph and does rolloer coaster around  but you can see that its lower in the cold months...

it woudl probably be easy enough to export the data to excell and plat your own graphs..

Edited by Marc Smith

• 5 weeks later...

OK, I am not a 1 tank run on empty type of guy but I am hoping that long term results from Fuelly will get me in the club? 

Scott the most you ran your tank down to is 10.7 gallons, Give me a break not run on empty type on guy. LOL You could have gone over a +100 miles farther, I will guaranty that you can go 30 miles past E0  without running out of gas. It looks like all your tanks you could gone 600 miles and 4 you could have gone 700 miles. ;)

Like Marc said when you get close bring a small gas can and then you don't have to worry about it. For Me I have wasted time if I put less than 12 gallons in a tank, I think half of my tanks are over 13 gallons. LOL :) 

Paul