600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

Using your example if you lowered the tire even more you should shorten your stopping distance even more which is not the case too. Talking to the Michelin's Rep on the phone I explained I was getting even tire ware at 50 psi and he agreed that would be right pressure to use and didn't have a problem with that. :)  The 38psi is FORD's recommended pressure for the CMAX, yet the FFH which weighs the same tire pressure is 36psi. ;)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

post-2745-0-15408700-1464916197_thumb.jpg

Ok, after a few unexpected trips, I finished my 3ed tank a little early. Tires were at 35 psi for the first 150 on this tank, and bumped up to 40 for the remainder. I may bump up to 45 at the end of the fourth tank to get a general idea of what each tank looks like at 5psi differentials. There is some lunch time idoling on this tank, and its gotten to hot to go without AC so that hurt my expectations by about an estimated 30 miles....

Ok, for some fun, normally after a fill-up, I avg between 60 to 70 mpg with the E0 from the gas station, this is my first trip after 40psi 

post-2745-0-41198600-1464916662_thumb.jpg

It's a short trip, and I know it fairly well, The speed limit is 35 which I match at all times. No A/C Several stop lights which I got caught at. 

post-2745-0-56025500-1464916927_thumb.jpg

Its just darn odd. 

Well there you go Edward - screaming past a bundle of 600 ers, including yours truly.  Great driving, great tank, congratulations and :hat_tip: :thumbsup: :hat_tip:!!!

Nick

(((Keep in mind the short runs are all about elevation difference, HVB SOC, and engine warmth/warm-up.  Sky's (999 mpgs) the limit if you have all three going for you)))

Edited by C-MaxSea

Well there you go Edward - screaming past a bundle of 600 ers, including yours truly.  Great driving, great tank, congratulations and :hat_tip: :thumbsup: :hat_tip:!!!

Nick

(((Keep in mind the short runs are all about elevation difference, HVB SOC, and engine warmth/warm-up.  Sky's (999 mpgs) the limit if you have all three going for you)))

. Like I indicated, I'm used to seeing 60 to 70 mpg gallon on two previous tanks from this station. On two previous fill up. The engine has been warm after about a 20 mile drive.  The trip is about 30% Uphill, 50% level, and 20% downhill. This trip is more of an anomaly than anything else. I could understand a small jump, but this one doubled. Just odd 

• 2 weeks later...

Question on Tire Inflation.  How drastically is the stoping distance changed, especially on wet roads when you over inflate... 45, 50 etc....

Over inflate? I'm not sure how you define it, but I think of "proper" inflation  as bound by the car manufacturer's specifications, and the tire manufacturer's specifications. 

- Ford specs are on the door, roughly 38 PSI. This is the lower limit. 

- Michelin specs are on the sidewall, 51 psi on my OEMs. This is the upper limit. 

(Note that the OEM is a P225/50-17 with a 93 load rating. There's also a 225/50-17 with a 44 psi sidewall rating, and a 94 load rating.)

Your TPMS is designed to protect against the lower limit, because there's a really bad hazard - tire failure at speed - that commonly results from low tire pressure. There is no protection on the upper end because there's no really hazardous outcome until way past the upper limit.  Lots of us do very well near the upper limit, where we also get benefit of reduced rolling resistance, at the price of ride quality. Your choice.

HAve fun,

Frank  

• 4 weeks later...

Almost made it to the 700 club. 

You actually did if you add in the %the odometer is off. LOL :yahoo:   Hopefully that makes you feel better. :)  How many gallons did you put in the tank? Remember you have a 13.9-14 gallon tank. Good Job. :thumbsup:

Paul

You actually did if you add in the %the odometer is off. LOL :yahoo:   Hopefully that makes you feel better. :)  How many gallons did you put in the tank? Remember you have a 13.9-14 gallon tank. Good Job. :thumbsup:

Paul

Have to remember that next time.  I was thinking it was right around 13 gallons.   Thx 

Have to remember that next time.  I was thinking it was right around 13 gallons.   Thx 

If you go past 13 gallons on the Trip screen, you might want to have some gas with you (or be within EV range of a station).  When I purposely ran completely out of gas the Trip screen indicated only 13.25 gallons!  It took 13.7 to fill up, but while you're driving you only have that screen to guide you.

If you go past 13 gallons on the Trip screen, you might want to have some gas with you (or be within EV range of a station).  When I purposely ran completely out of gas the Trip screen indicated only 13.25 gallons!  It took 13.7 to fill up, but while you're driving you only have that screen to guide you.

You are right and you need to be level to get the most in. Scottwood2 how many gallons did you put in your tank? :)

Paul

• 2 months later...

Great Job Scott! :yahoo:  :happy feet:  :camera: Keep up the good MPG's.  This thread has been pretty Quiet lately and We need to remind Members to post their 600 mile+ Tanks on this thread. :)

It's been over a year and 9 months since I Posted my record and I have learned some new things sense then that with pretty ideal conditions it is possible on slow (Sight Seeing) Trip to get 1,050 to 1100 miles on a tank of gas. :) I'm working on planning a trip to do it.  The Big Question is whether my wife is up for it or not. :shrug:  :shift:

Paul

Great Job Scott! :yahoo:  :happy feet:  :camera: Keep up the good MPG's.  This thread has been pretty Quiet lately and We need to remind Members to post their 600 mile+ Tanks on this thread. :)

It's been over a year and 9 months since I Posted my record and I have learned some new things sense then that with pretty ideal conditions it is possible on slow (Sight Seeing) Trip to get 1,050 to 1100 miles on a tank of gas. :) I'm working on planning a trip to do it.  The Big Question is whether my wife is up for it or not. :shrug:  :shift:

Paul

WOW, 1,000 + miles on a tank.   Pretty incredible.   keep us informed of your trip and your tricks too.   Maybe someday I can hit 800 miles on a tank. 

Started in Newnan, GA and  made it to Georgetown, SC and then came back, got back last night. I made it to Monticello, GA before filling up 915.4 miles/ 13.7 gal and 66.1 mpg. I figure I still had .3-.4 gallons(18-24 miles before I would have run out.). GPS actual mileage 931.8 mi./13.7 gal.= 68 mpg.  :)  I was hoping to do better, but I can't seem to get 70 mpg going 65 - 50MPH, at 50 -35 mph P&G I saw over 80 mpg a few times on segments of the trip.  :shift:  My wife isn't interested in doing any more trips like that, she said I can go by myself. LOL  :sad:  And it's been almost two years since the last one.

sml_gallery_143_17_114587.jpg

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

HI Gang, it been a while. As it always happens, you can't plan on breaking any records in the Southeast in the fall, be it a hurricane or in this case a pipeline break, ugg, I'd just started my attempt to break my previous record in the late summer, early fall weather. (I Can't live without my AC in the hot GA summer sun) When the pipeline broke.

Now with A/C, I now normally hit the high 500 to low 600 mark with E0. I had started my attempt to break my previous record and I was well on my way to getting close to a record on that first tank for the fall season. Oil changed. Tires inflated to 45psi. 

GAS PANIC!! With only 200 miles left on the first tank, and not sure how bad it was going to be, I toped my car off with E10, Shell 87. 8.5 gallons worth. Just ugg....  bye, bye 600-mile tank. 

So I'm riding along in super gas saver / crisis mode, I'm going to make this tank last as long as I can. Nothing above 55mph, no AC, no heated seat :-( no day driving lights.  No extra trips. 

For what ever reason, the miles left did not indicate I had enough fuel to get home, so I had to add more full. O well

So close, yet so far in breaking my record, in hostile conditions.

post-2745-0-50048400-1476541095_thumb.jpg

HI Gang, it been a while. As it always happens, you can't plan on breaking any records in the Southeast in the fall, be it a hurricane or in this case a pipeline break, ugg, I'd just started my attempt to break my previous record in the late summer, early fall weather. (I Can't live without my AC in the hot GA summer sun) When the pipeline broke.

Now with A/C, I now normally hit the high 500 to low 600 mark with E0. I had started my attempt to break my previous record and I was well on my way to getting close to a record on that first tank for the fall season. Oil changed. Tires inflated to 45psi. 

GAS PANIC!! With only 200 miles left on the first tank, and not sure how bad it was going to be, I toped my car off with E10, Shell 87. 8.5 gallons worth. Just ugg....  bye, bye 600-mile tank. 

So I'm riding along in super gas saver / crisis mode, I'm going to make this tank last as long as I can. Nothing above 55mph, no AC, no heated seat :-( no day driving lights.  No extra trips. 

For what ever reason, the miles left did not indicate I had enough fuel to get home, so I had to add more full. O well

So close, yet so far in breaking my record, in hostile conditions.

Looks Like you made it. :yahoo: Congratulations! :happy feet:  Next time 50psi and Premium E10 93octane gas "Cheaper"  than E0 and almost as good. You can always add NOS Octane Booster from Walmart to boost Octane and clean injectors. :)  You could make it to 700 miles.  Grill Covers?

NOSOctanebooster

Paul

Looks Like you made it. :yahoo: Congratulations! :happy feet:  Next time 50psi and Premium E10 93octane gas "Cheaper"  than E0 and almost as good. You can always add NOS Octane Booster from Walmart to boost Octane and clean injectors. :)  You could make it to 700 miles.  Grill Covers?

Paul

The EO is the same price point as the mid grade fuel. Way cheaper in the atlanta market. :-) 

I thought Ford was very strict on adding adiatives to the fuel tank in this particular engine. I would want to frag my waranty.