Folding side mirrors -- how far?

The side mirrors on the SEL (and SE?) fold inward.  When I try to fold them in, they only turn in a few degrees, not flat with the side of the car.  I'm a little hesitant to force them, not knowing how far they are suppose to fold in.

Question: do your mirrors fold in, parallel with the side of the car, or only turn in a few degrees?

Edited by roninsd

The side mirrors on the SEL (and SE?) fold inward.  When I try to fold them in, they only turn in a few degrees, not flat with the side of the car.  I'm a little hesitant to force them, not knowing how far they are suppose to fold in.

Question: do your mirrors fold in, parallel with the side of the car, or only turn in a few degrees?

My experience is the same.

Folding the mirrors in only gets you a couple of extra inches of clearance on each side. I know if I park the C-Max in the garage with enough room to open the driver's side doors a couple of detents without banging into the wall, there's just enough room on the passenger's side to roll my wheeled trash bin past the car it I fold the mirror first. I go through this every trash day so I'm quite familiar with the limited folding range of the mirrors.

Slightly OT, is there any trick to moving the mirrors?  I've tried a couple times and they don't move.  My old '95 Explorer you had to exert much less force to move them.  It's nothing critical for me, I was figuring I'd just wait until the next time I am at the dealer and see what they say about it.