Improve the CMax? Your thoughts...

Jus-A-CMax

Let your voice be heard about the improving the CMax!  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see improved in the C-Max?

• MPG performance in the cold
    • MPG performance - other, please elaborate
    • My Ford Touch
    • Interior layout, details & finish
    • Exterior paneling, styling, color, finish, mirrors
    • Wheels / Tires
    • Rear Liftgate
    • Electronics (non MFT), Battery
    • FOB / Remote Start
    • Other - please state.

In the spirit of the upcoming Ford event in Irvine and also the proposed upcoming fordcmaxhybridofrum.com meeting in MI, lets hear your thoughts about what you want to see improved in the CMax. 

This is a super site but the reality is that our known issues such as the battery, cold performance is scattered into various sections of the site, and I am hoping this thread will allow us to catalog our issues and more importantly - suggest - some solutions and enhancements that you would like to see improved.

So, please choose which category (one or many) you believe that Ford can improve as well as come commentary to support what you have chosen.

For me:

1. MPG cold - we can always do better especially the cold performance. I like the ptjones grill covers but lets face it, I rather see that implemented within the car itself to temporarily shut off the ICE area from the cold air. How hard would it be to add a temp sensor that controls the shutters to the ICE?

2. MPG Other - work on moving the 63mph EV threshold to 65 or 68 - yeah I know a bigger battery but even right now, 63mph can't be sustained no more than a mile anyway even on a full battery and flat road so I'll settle for less sustainability but higher threshold.

3. MFT - better, more snappy performance. Screen refresh is not the greatest and there are known issues with the GPS accuraracy. Ford is working on this but I would like to see snappy performance overall, especially when entering input for street addresses. 

4. Interior. An electronic powered front passenger seat should have come with the SEL.

5. Exterior. An electric folding mirror would be nice.

6. Electronic - Get rid of the Enlighten mode, no real practical use. Engage and Empower is great.

7. FOB - I would like to see a proximity lock. Jaguar has this, why can't it be implemented by Ford since they once own Jaguar. To an extent, CMax has this as it knows when you are close and allows you to open the car door - just add the locking part.

Ok....post away, lets see what you think can be improved   :rockon: 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Get rid of the shiny (chrome like) trim on the steering wheel, instrument panel and console.  The reflection is sometimes blinding and the image of the heat/AC trim in the outside driver side mirror all day long is annoying and distracting.  A lot of effort goes into making the instrument panel non-reflective, why mess that up with lots of shiny trim?

More adjustability for the front passenger seat.

Improve the owners manual.  The layout, presentation and index are awful.  Want info on how to use cruise control?  Don't try to find it by looking in the index.

Make mpg a standard rather than enhanced part of the trip odometers.  Get rid of elapsed trip drive trip if needed to make space.  Make mpg show up on the trip odometers when they are selected in My View.

Add miles to appear with avg mpg so we know how many miles the avg mpg is being calculated over.

More options for the display to the right side of the speedometer.  The leaves outlived their usefulness and novelty in less than five minutes.  Let me display something useful in this space the 99.999% of the time that I am not using it to set something in entertainment, navigation, etc.

Make a space and tie down for an optional spare tire, jack and tools - so I can stow them safely if I decide I want them in my vehicle for trips to the middle of nowhere.

Here's my random list of dislikes that I've been accumulating. Definitely some overlap with the other lists above.

No LED tail lights or turn signals
No option for HID, LED or projector beam headlights
Wheels are not that attractive, only one wheel available
Alignment and width of panel gaps is inconsistent
Rear view mirror looks cheap
Sun visors are sorta flimsy and don't snap back in easily when swiveling
Some controls like the ambient lighting buttons feel cheap
Window switches are too easy to hit express mode
Brakes are too touchy
Lack of gear indicator next to shifter
Steering wheel should be slightly thicker
Stitching on steering wheel is rough and sharp
Passenger seat should be power adjustable on higher trim level
Hood prop rod is cheap
Roof antenna looks dated
The top left dash vent is reflected in the door glass right where you look at the door mirror
Rear of the car gets very dirty
Can't program the right side of the instrument cluster with the screens of the left side
Touch screen is sluggish and doesn't always respond
MFT bugs galore
Heated seats can be a bit warm on level 1 unless it's pretty cold
Back seats aren't that comfortable
No adaptive cruise available
No warning when the headlights are off when it's dark outside
Need current MPG in numeric format rather than the bar gauge that is hard to read

Thoughts after only 2 weeks of ownership (and now on travel):

- Drives great. Responds well. Quiet and well insulated from road bumps.

- Ruby Red. Gorgeous color.

- Panoramic roof.

- My back loves the heated seats.

- I am happy with the car. It feels like it has a lot of nice touches, and it is nice to drive a car with some oomph. Thank you FORD for creating a viable hybrid option!

Room for improvement... I feel like these are petty because I do like the car... but here you go.

- Cold MPG of course. Haven't done better than 31 and I'm used to driving a hybrid.

- Driver seat adjustment is weird. We have the SE

- While we're on that, why can't leather seats be just an option? We didn't want them, so locked ourselves out of some options by refusing to get the SEL.

- More details in the manual about how to maximize MPG. Don't make us look on line. Tell us what your engineers were thinking. Many of your drivers can handle it. There's more info in the manual about talking to your sound system than about MPG.

- Agree on more options for the right side display. Leaves are OK but give me a choice.

- Disagree with the poster above on Enlighten. We leave it in that mode most of the time.

- Somehow I was expecting more rear cargo space based on the simple numbers comparison with the Prius. The space fills up pretty fast.

- Rear seat comfort: mixed messages. We almost didn't buy the car because of those seats alone. Liked it over the Prius for every reason but that (and now the MPG). We brought our kids to a second test drive-- since they're the ones who have to live back there-- and they said it was just fine.

- Voice activated stuff. Can you make it respond to "Buzz off!" or "Shut up!" when accidentally turned on? Just kidding.

- I don't understand why we have an emergency fuel spout and not a spare-tire option. Which one am I more likely to need?

- Would love a rear camera option without having to get the Nav. The screen is big enough to support it.

- What is that giant dark storage hole between the front seats? Could be better designed/layered. I half expect to find the Loch Ness Monster.

I'll second most of the issues which have been listed above with my emphasis on:

1. Power seat(s) without leather

2. HID / LED exterior lighting

3. Flat cargo floor

4. Key fob on which one can feel lock vs. unlock w/o looking (Volvo attains it with concave & convex buttons)

My main issue, which I think would have solved a lot of these dislikes, is that it seems no one from Ford design or engineering departments actually sat in the C-Max ... at least no one with any influence. If you look at the lists, most of the dislikes/wants could have been resolved by just sitting in the driver seat, back seat and opening the hatch with an unbalanced load of stuff and having it fall onto your feet.

We all seem to really like the way the car drives and handles. Most of us would like improved MPG without having to work so hard.

We early C-Max adopters own interesting vehicles, ones that have been on sale in Europe since 2010 in gasoline or diesel versions, yet in North America, it was re-engineered to be exclusively a hybrid or plug-in-hybrid. The exterior shape was not designed for a super low Cd (drag coefficient) but Ford wanted to have more hybrid choices for buyers without having to create another vehicle. The two main areas of improvement seem to be focused on MPG and gauge/display issues. The rest could be applied to the European versions, complaints for which Ford should have been receiving for several years.

No warning when the headlights are off when it's dark outside

I don't know about you, but the green 'lights on' indicator (under the speedo) goes off and on while I am driving depending on whether the lights are are or off when I have the light switch in the right-most position.   I leave the light switch in the 'auto' position and during the day if I drive into a parking structure, tunnel or even under a really wide freeway underpass the green light comes on, and goes off as soon as the sun is shining directly on the car.  If you have the nav system the map background switches from white to black as the headlights go on and off.

Edited by SBGrad

My desires are few and were included in a previous post: adjustable passenger seat, less sluggish Touch screen, no warning when headlights aren't on. One day I was driving in rain with wipers on and noticed the lights weren't. Shouldn't that be standard on all cars?

Could add other things but this car far surpasses my previous ones in every way except mpg.

For the hybrid (not Energi) C-Max - How  having all favorites entered in the nav system automatically trigger EV+ mode or a way to for me to select EV+ mode when I am almost at my destination (even if I am not using the nav system to get there).  After 6 weeks my only recognized EV+ destination is home even though I have some places I go to 4 or 5 times every week.

I second previous comments about fabric and leather seats.  We wanted the SEL for the back-up camera but would have preferred fabric seats.

I would like to see the telescoping steering column extend out more.  I am a tall man and I need the driver's seat back to near max.  At this setting, my arms are almost straight when touching the steering wheel which is not a comfortable position for long rides.   

I would also like to see the EV mode set to a slightly higher speed or better yet, allow the owner to adjust the parameters in the user settings. 

My suggestions are few, as have had the C-Max less than a month.

1. I agree that the MFT is quirky and slow to respond.  More software/firmware improvements for usability are needed.

2. I would like to have LED running lights and LED based tail lights.  It keeps with the lower energy usage and is pretty much the standard for current vehicles.

3. It's a nit, but the mats should cover the left side/dead-pedal space for the drivers left foot.  My tax carpet is already showing the dust after less than 30 days.

I do wish I could freewya cruise in EV mode at 65mph or so, but I get why the car works the way it does...a minor quibble.  It has been fun with passengers at around 60 on flat ground and the ICE is off....nice and quiet!

Would like:

Lights on the gear shifter console to indicate which gear you have selected.

More storage for things in the driver's area.

Something to keep mud from being thrown up on the back of the car.

Better visors--telescoping and more moveable.

Automatic seat adjustment for front passenger.

Adaptive cruise control.

Heated steering wheel.

Would like:

More storage for things in the driver's area.

Something to keep mud from being thrown up on the back of the car.

Better visors--telescoping and more moveable.

Automatic seat adjustment for front passenger.

Adaptive cruise control.

Heated steering wheel.

Ye, Laurel, I forgot to mention one of my major wishes-lights on the gear shift console

I really like my car as well.  So much so that I am sure I will be trading up in a couple of years.  I am hoping that a Titanium edition will be available at that point.  I would love to see the following offered at that point.

Adaptive Cruise Control

HID Headlights and LED tail, brake, and markers

Coin Holder

Memory Seats

Remote Start built in on the same remote

MFT Hyrbid system display

A lined pocket in the dash area for a phone and such

A Ford Accessory to block off the front grill area for cold weather MPG

- Or a system that would automatically divert airflow in cold weather

A three setting heated seat option that would work with remote start

Manual EV+ Mode on unused thumb button on shift lever

- Or a manual ECO mode that would limit ICE use and performance to improve MPG

A flush locking mechanism on the rear door for safety

Connectors for a mesh cargo net in the rear

A stronger feeling Ambient Lighting control adn sunglass holder

Instant numeric MPG would be a nice MyView Option

More MyView options that would provide more OBD views (It's there, just make it viewable)

I would LOVE to see the Energi with a fold flat setup.  If that were the case with the above options, I would happily pick one up!!  Heck, I would probably pick one up this year if it hit the market :)

Most of my suggested improvements center around MFT. Beyond eliminating all of the bugs, I'd like to have the "buttons" rearranged so that there's more space between them. It would be a lot easier to hit the correct button with a gloved hand if they just shrank some of the blank space and spread them out a little bit.

Another complaint I have is with glare on the instrument cluster. There are too many reflections from the nearby bright trim pieces. Some of the perimeter readouts on the screens (like outdoor temperature and time) are too small and dim to be readable on a bright day when you're wearing sunglasses.

The front passenger seat would benefit from a height adjuster, and I'd pay extra to have the seatback fold forward (flat would be nice) to extend the length of the cargo area.

The HVAC control should have buttons you can identify by feel, instead of having them all flush with each other.

Finally, since I have an SE with a traditional key/fob, how about a folding key? And better protection for the buttons to prevent accidental activation?

I dunno - with all the road-grime that seems to get sucked onto the back of a C-Max, I'm not sure I'd want the back window open, unless maybe just when parked.

I'm guessing the original poster meant being able to open the back window when parked-- that's how I took it.   Not sure about 21st century Explorers, but I could open the back window of my '95 Explorer while the liftgatge was closed-- came in handy more than once.

I dunno - with all the road-grime that seems to get sucked onto the back of a C-Max, I'm not sure I'd want the back window open, unless maybe just when parked.

Not to drive around with it open for no reason. If the window opened it would be easier to carry long items, Could get 10' pieces of lumber in there, easier than tying the hatch down on top of it.

More options for the display to the right side of the speedometer.  The leaves outlived their usefulness and novelty in less than five minutes.  Let me display something useful in this space the 99.999% of the time that I am not using it to set something in entertainment, navigation, etc.

Amen. Plus, that spot can display graphics -- so people who are paying extra for navigation via Sync Services could actually get useful graphics in that space, instead of the arrows with the invisibly small heads that show up for just a moment in the center screen. I know on some Ford nav-equipped cars the right-hand screen gets road sign graphics, which is great, but even if they can't do that for the simple non-map Services navigation, then why not do like the Verizon Navigator service for dumbphones and have a big blue left arrow and a big red right arrow (and a big gray straight arrow), along with distance to turn and street name, and let it display 100% of the time when navigation is underway? It wouldn't take more memory, and it would be a lot clearer and easier for the driver. (It would be even cooler if the arrow started off light blue/red and got more color-saturated as the turn drew nearer.)

Adaptive cruise control.

Ditto.

Plus:

Lighting around the ignition switch

Switchblade style key for SE too

Better stereo for SE

3-year free Services subscription for non-MFT buyers too

A single command to get a list of commands that is identical across ALL features in Sync

Tighter turning radius

My one vote is definately for 'MPG other'.  I am hoping that battery technology continues to improve, and that the C-Max's nex-gen battary is no larger, but able to push the EV capability another 5-10 mph.  I believe the 62 mph EV limit to be the weakest link of the car; going forward that is.  Even though I am satisfied driving 55-60 on urban freeways, I would love to know I could still cruise a significant part of the time on EV at 68 ish, for longer trips.  Go Ford on battery research!  As an aside, I also hope Ford makes it possible to 'upgrade' to nex-gen batteries asap (for a fair price) - it would be a great reward to all of us early adoptors.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle