Limited EV mode in cold weather

C-MaxJaxon

The temperature today is close to zero and my C-Max kept the engine running and charging the battery longer than usual, and had very limited threshold in EV mode when it allowed it.  The threshold seemed to creep up slowly before I arrived at my destination, but EV+ didn't increase it. I haven't seen this happen before with similar temps. Anyone else seen the same?

The temperature today is close to zero and my C-Max kept the engine running and charging the battery longer than usual, and had very limited threshold in EV mode when it allowed it.  The threshold seemed to creep up slowly before I arrived at my destination, but EV+ didn't increase it. I haven't seen this happen before with similar temps. Anyone else seen the same?

Thanks so much for posting this! I was experiencing exactly the same thing, both last night and this morning but I hadn't had a chance to post yet. I'm in SE Michigan, and the temps were single digits w/windchills below 0. The battery would charge almost to full before switching over to EV mode. We had some severely cold days a few weeks ago, but my car didn't behave this way then.

My Max struggled to get warm today on my 7 mile trip to work at 0 degrees fresh from the garage.  The trip mileage today was 32.  When I ran the defroster the water temp dipped below the first mark and that is with a foamed obstructed grill.  I can just image tonight's #'s on he home trip after sitting out all day in 10 degrees.   I hate winter.   On Tuesday when it was 63 degrees I was getting 47.  That is IL for you a place of extremes.  Now gas went to $3.75 today.   I guess we can't blame the gas jacking on summer blend yet.   :rant2:

Chinto, ouch, $3.75?  In Phoenix gas is up to ....$3.17...it got beloe $3 for a week or so.

We had a 5 day cold snap for us, temps in the 20's in the a.m. and warnming in the 40's, right when I first got my C-Max.  Seems like the ICE ran a lot to get heat to supply.

A feature you may not be aware of: In the left side display, you can create "My View" and pick from various items. (there is even a tachometer, but only measures the ICE I believe. )  I modeled my settings after the "Engage" view, but removed the instant mileage indicator and added the temperature gauge, which can be a concern in our summer heat later.  When you display the temp gauge, just to the right there is a tiny thermometer symbol.  When you first start out, the thermometer shows as blue in color; once the ICE reaches operating temperature, the gauge becomes white.  In my experience, the EV mode is easier to get engaged and to keep once the color change has happened.

Fun to try things to help us get best efficiency.  Look in the book for MyView for more details on what you can see.

Whatcha complaining about, it's $3.85 here in San Fernando Costco prices.... :runaway: 

Yeah, it takes forever to warm up the ICE, time to get those grill plates and we're not talking BBQ food here. I don't mind the charge up but at those temps when I drive to and around Mammoth, the EV does not hold at all, dwindles in no time flat - might as well keep it in the ICE mode. I'll try the ICE High MPG mode tonight as I am heading back to Mammoth, not stormy/snowing cold but should be cold enuf.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

My problem was not with EV mode refusing to engage. It would go into EV mode with light load on the engine. But on the Empower display that shows the threshold, the blue bar was very low and would only allow coasting or very light pressure on the accelerator. I am pretty sure it is somehow related to the cold temperature, possibly a temp sensor somewhere telling it to limit battery output. The threshold slowly moved up as the car warmed up. The weather is warmer now and EV mode has returned to normal.

Last week when we had bone chilling cold in Ontario (beside Michigan), it took 3-4 minutes instead of 2-3 minutes (with Climate Control off, and I have foamed most of the grill) to get EV to kick in.  I use the tach and temperature displays in MyView to check when the thermometer changes from blue to white, and EV has cutover pretty much flawlessly.  It will switch back to ICE because of temp going blue again when sitting at a light or changing into a wind. 

I've seen the bar start quite low and then move up as I accelerate slowly, never sticking.

Ran errands at 0F (-18C here) all morning and still hit 5.1L/100km overall (pretty much 47 MPG).  In low 20's (-7C) today, ranged from 9.x for short first trip to 4.7 - 5.6 rest of the day. 

BTW - My Fuelly average hasn't changed much because 1) I'm filling up less often and 2) my son keeps borrowing the car and seems happy with 7.x averages.  Sigh.

I've taken 13-mile trips (mix of city and freeway) in temperatures of less than 10 when the battery never came on despite a full charge, or only came on for a minute or two. Leaving the car outside overnight doesn't help the cause either, but I have no choice on that one since we only have room for one car and I leave for work an hour earlier than my wife. I have gotten over 40 during those days when the temperatures have been over 50, so I'm definitely looking forward to Spring.