Spare Tire Solution for C-Max Hybrid.

Roger Eastman

Exactly, GaryM.  I'm also a long-time autocrosser and road racer.  Jacking up both wheels on the same side with one jack has never been a problem.  With a front weight-biased car you can usually do it from the front side jack point.  Just do not get any part of your body under the car if you are not using jack stands as a backup.

I bought a temporary spare and jack from the local wrecking yard.  $20 for both.  This tire has no permanent home in the car.  It could be in the back seat, the luggage area or in the garage.  After searching eBay and Amazon and not finding a suitable cover, I decided to cut down an old sleeping bag to 26" x 26".  I re-installed the zipper around 3 sides and added a carry strap.   

spare03.jpg

spare02.jpg

spare01.jpg

Edited by Sparky

Here's my solution for a spare tire cover:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024E6IXI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   $10 shipped!  I got the smallest one offered (21& 1/2 inches) and it fits like a glove. 

null_zpsdff31ac2.jpg

It's made to slip on/off with an elastic cord around the backside.

null_zpse4445f61.jpg

Here it is strapped down in place for trips.  The color is remarkable close to the stone interior too. (bonus score!)  

null_zps952dd077.jpg

I wrapped them up in a large shop towel and stored them in the rear hatch compartment.  The towel will come in handy for cleanup afterwards.

Think I`m going to just get that Spare Tire Cover that was linked to Amazon and just secure it with a ratchet latch strap in the rear storage area, period.  Going to skip the Jack KIt and Lug Wrench.  Figure, if I have the misfortune to need an Emergency Spare Tire Change due to a Flat or Sidewall failure, I`ll simply call Ford Roadside Service or AAA and have them use their equipment to mount the Emergency "Donut".  One less item to store and carry about.  While I await the Tow Truck, I`ll listen to Sirius/XM Radio until they arrive!  The toy air compressor and can of tire sealant goo is a poor substitute for a Emergency Spare Donut no less the old Full Size Spare.  Not only is it not full proof depending on the nature or location of the puncture but it also fouls and ruins the TPM Sensor as well that will need replacement which is (not) a covered Warranty item if deemed defective due to contamination of the Sealant goo!  Ford saves the cost of the Spare Tire and Jack Assembly, claims that the 40 lbs + - of extra weight is a deal breaker for Fuel Economy.  The Engineers could have figured a way of fitting it (under) the rear bumper like the Ford Explorer that had a Full Size Spare.

Just picket up a brand new, never been used Emergency Spare Tire (Donut) off a Dealer in Miami that specializes in Spare Tire replacements for Vehicles that are now equipped with "Mobility Kits".  Toy air-compressors and Can of Tire Sealant Goo that fouls your Tire Pressure Indicators.  Paid $30!  Compared the Emergency Spare Tire Wheel & Tire which came  off a 2006 Taurus with that of a 2013 Ford Focus.  T135/70/D16 and using bolt measurement calipers showed identical Bolt Pattern measurement of 108 mm.  Could have purchased a brand new Ford matching Jack Tool Kit with Lug Wrench and Storage Cover for an additional $20.  I`ll leave that Flat Tire change to AAA or Ford Roadside Service assuming they have a proper Jack and Lug wrench.

Edited by Phil1336

Just picket up a brand new, never been used Emergency Spare Tire (Donut) off a DEaler in Miami that specializes in Spare Tire replacements for Vehicles that are now equipped with "Mobility Kits".

Got a link? as my spousal-unit is demanding a spare for our next roadtrip, even though we haven't had a flat since the Firestone fiasco in the late 90's. Edited by ArizonaEnergi

Just a thought .......Ford Road Assistance and AAA may refuse to mount any doughnut wheel on the C Max (you know, insurance crap).  Maybe check with Ford and AAA before the need .

Never considered that possibility but what about the many Vehicles that come Factory Equipped withthe so called "Tire Mobility Kits" and then offer through their Parts Department a Spare Tire Donut Emergency Kit with Jack Assembly and Lug Wrench?  Think every Tow Driver will not which Vehicles had Factory Sold retro-emergency tire kits to replace the Tire Mobility Kits?  Most Auto Manufacturers will not cover fouled/defective TPS Sensors caused by Tire Sealant Goo.  Shows the confidence in using that crap.  Add up the cost of the TPS Sensor and the Labor (not) covered by the Warranty and see what that flat tire will actually cost.  I just avoided purchasing the JackKit and Lug Wrench because neither my Wife nor myself have any interest in doing Tire Changes at this point in our lives.  If Ford Road Service won`t put on the Donut, I`m sure AAA will or they won`t have (my) Membership renewal next year after 40 plus years!

Got a link? as my spousal-unit is demanding a spare for our next roadtrip, even though we haven't had a flat since the Firestone fiasco in the late 90's.

Ebay Seller fito0761 Miami FL  Item # 251316894244  Emergency Spare Tire Donut  "T135/70D16" Fits 2006 Taurus and is identical wheel and bolt pattern as 2013 Focus 108mm.

I bought a compact spare today.  While I had identified two sources on eBay (thanks to people here)  I decided to use the national used car part database to see if there were any local sellers that had a Taurus 2000-07 spare and indeed there was.  The database is here: http://search2304.used-auto-parts.biz/inventory/retail.htm 

Select for Ford-Taurus-2007-Wheel and then from the hits select Steel for the most results.

I paid $50 for a brand new tire and rim (eBay prices were about $60 shipped) and another $50 for a jack and tire iron.  I thought the jack/iron price was high and told them, but they said that was their rate, although they did drop it from $65.  UPDATE: I came to my senses and took the jack/tire iron back for a refund, then went to Harbor Freight and bought an $18 4-ton bottle jack.  I already had a folding 4-way for the lug nuts.

The wife is going to make a full cover for the tire and a small bag for the jack, and we will likely only take it on long trips that include remote blue highway roads.  UPDATE:  Ordered the RV tire cover from Amazon others have.  Wife happier!

post-629-0-36759300-1377130120_thumb.jpg

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

Here's my solution for a spare tire cover:  

Here's my solution for a spare tire cover:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024E6IXI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   $10 shipped!  I got the smallest one offered (21& 1/2 inches) and it fits like a glove. 

null_zpsdff31ac2.jpg

null_zpse4445f61.jpg

Here it is strapped down in place for trips.  The color is remarkable close to the stone interior too. (bonus score!)  

null_zps952dd077.jpg

My "Cover" just arrived for my C-MAX Emergency Spare Tire (Donut) from Amazon.Com and your correct.  Fits perfectly and almost an exact color match for the Light Stone Interior.  Thanks!

$10 shipped!  I got the smallest one offered (21& 1/2 inches) and it fits like a glove. 

null_zpsdff31ac2.jpg

null_zpse4445f61.jpg

null_zps952dd077.jpg

ArizonaE, I tried your link and struck out.  I could not find any part to select for "spare tire".  How were you able to search yours?  I tried "tire" with no luck.  Not the greatest feed-back window when you hit search, and nothing is found.  I assume you clicked in on Ford Taurus, 2007.  Nick

ArizonaE, I tried your link and struck out.  I could not find any part to select for "spare tire".  How were you able to search yours?  I tried "tire" with no luck.  Not the greatest feed-back window when you hit search, and nothing is found.  I assume you clicked in on Ford Taurus, 2007.  Nick

Select for Ford-Taurus-2007-Wheel and then from the hits select Steel for the most results. 

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

The "Cover" for my Emergency Spare Tire (Donut) for my C-MAX just arrived from Amazon.Com and your correct.  Its a perfect fit and and almost an exact match for the Light Stone Interior too! Thanks.....

You're welcome!

I took the tip posted in this thread about the new scissor jack sold at Northern Tool for under $20 but when I got to my local store it was $25.  <grrrr>  But right next to it was a 2 Ton hydraulic jack that is smaller, easier to store, and only $15.  It easily lifted the car which I left it up for a half hour in the garage to see if it would leak down; nope.  Edit:  jack will NOT fit under car with a completely flat tire.  Use a scissor jack instead!  See post #79 below.

null_zpsbc625bb9.jpg

Still room left for other items in the rear storage bin (rag with wrench on left):

null_zpsf9ec2237.jpg

Edited by fotomoto

Looks like a perfect fit for this small easy to store Jack.  I`m only strapping my Spare Tire Emergency Donut into the Storage area for long out of town Trips.  Locally, I`m hoping a small slow leak caused by a nail etc will be detected quickly by the TPS indicators and I will simply use my tiny air compressor to inflate until I get to a Tire Repair shop.  I`m skipping on the Jack and lug wrench since if a Tire needs to be changed, its going to a Highway Road Ranger (StateFarm), AAA, or Ford Roadside Service and I`m assuming they would all have a Jack and Lug Wrench to install the Emergency Spare Donut.  Got a 10` Ratchet Tie Down Strap on Ebay for less then $5 including Free Shipping to secure the Tire in place when needed for a out of town Trip!

I pay good money to AAA for roadside service anywhere in the US.  Plus the coverage Ford extends with my extended warranty.  I'm not worried about not having a spare.  If I have a tire problem while crossing the country this summer to the gathering?  Oh well, AAA to the rescue.  Just my feelings on the subject.

I also have AAA roadside assistance, and had been planning on racing AAA against Ford if I ever got a flat tire. I fully intended to just call both and see who shows up first. In my experience with AAA, they've always arrived very quickly, so Ford definitely has their competition cut out for them. But if the car comes with Ford roadside assistance, and not a spare, I figured I might as well call. It certainly can't hurt. Maybe they'll get there first, and then I'll just call AAA back and say never mind.

But that was before. Now, reading this thread has made me wonder otherwise. Possible lack of cell service is now a large concern I can't believe I didn't consider before. Meanwhile, my other concerns, about how and where to store the tire and jack seem completely addressed. The jack above this post fits perfectly into the cargo area floor compartment, which is fantastic. Those tire covers match the Light Stone interior, so that's great. Now I feel like that's the way to go.

Edited by CarpeNivem

The hydraulic bottle jack I got at Harbor Freight is too tall!  http://www.harborfreight.com/4-ton-hydraulic-bottle-jack-66450.html  It barely fits under the rear jack point with air in the tire, and if it were flat there's no way it would fit, and it doesn't fit under the front jack point at all.  It also doesn't entirely collapse back down on its own, making removing the jack a bit difficult.

So, anyone had a short hydraulic jack alternative, or am I going to have to go with a scissor jack after all, which Harbor also sells for the same price?  http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-ton-scissor-jack-66907.html