Spare Tire Solution for C-Max Hybrid.

Roger Eastman

One shortcoming that I personally found with the C-Max Hybrid is the lack of a spare tire. I liked the car so well, in spite of this, that I ordered one for my family, but I was determined to find a satisfactory solution to being able to have a spare tire. Driving around with no spare was not acceptable to my wife or me.

We now have 1,200 miles on our SEL C-Max, which has given me time to find a solution for having a spare. We also have a 2003 Ford Windstar, which gave me a starting point for the C-Max spare, as they both have the same size wheel bolt pattern. I had an extra 16" X 7" alloy Windstar wheel and also the original 15" donut spare that came on the Windstar. I was pleasantly surprised to find that both of these fit nicely on the C-Max.

With a little research, I found that a 215/60-16 tire of one manufacturer had the same revolutions per mile and a little better load rating as the stock C-Max Michelin . I purchased one of these tires and it it mounted and balanced on the 16" wheel. I also purchased 2 ratchet straps to tie the wheel down in the back of the C-Max.

I also discovered that the stock Windstar jack works fine with the C-Max; the jack handle includes a lug wrench of the correct size, and the jack fits nicely in the small storage compartment at the rear of the C-Max at the rear of the battery.

As a starting point, we have decided to carry the donut spare when travelling locally and carry the full-size spare when venturing away from our local area and see how things go. I know, the tires (even the donut) take up alot of space, but generally speaking, the C-Max is not short on space.

I have some pics to show with this item, but the attach program tells me that  they are too big to upload. Can someone instruct me in how to get them to upload, please ?

A 15" wheel actually fits on the C-Max? I have 16s with winter tires mounted now, and I see very little clearance available between the wheel and the brake caliper.

I've looked at 2012-2013 Focus spare tires and jack kits on ebay. They are usually salvaged from wrecks and sold by "auto recyclers". That could be another source for the needed parts. The BMW crowd can get pre-packaged spare tire kits for those who want to ditch their run-flats and want something more than an inflator. Maybe someone will offer something similar for C-Max owners eventually.

• 2 months later...

Roger, the Windstar 15" space saver, with tire mounted, will be the same, or close to, the diameter of the 17" with the standard Michelins? Found a couple on EBay, and was planning a multi-state trip and want some piece of mind that my plug kit won't afford me in case of a sidewall blowout. Rare as that may be, it happened to me last year with my Honda Fit. Clubbed something on the highway at night that tore a nice gash in the sidewall. Certainly would have been a mojo killer without a spare to throw on.

One shortcoming that I personally found with the C-Max Hybrid is the lack of a spare tire. I liked the car so well, in spite of this, that I ordered one for my family, but I was determined to find a satisfactory solution to being able to have a spare tire. Driving around with no spare was not acceptable to my wife or me.

We now have 1,200 miles on our SEL C-Max, which has given me time to find a solution for having a spare. We also have a 2003 Ford Windstar, which gave me a starting point for the C-Max spare, as they both have the same size wheel bolt pattern. I had an extra 16" X 7" alloy Windstar wheel and also the original 15" donut spare that came on the Windstar. I was pleasantly surprised to find that both of these fit nicely on the C-Max.

With a little research, I found that a 215/60-16 tire of one manufacturer had the same revolutions per mile and a little better load rating as the stock C-Max Michelin . I purchased one of these tires and it it mounted and balanced on the 16" wheel. I also purchased 2 ratchet straps to tie the wheel down in the back of the C-Max.

I also discovered that the stock Windstar jack works fine with the C-Max; the jack handle includes a lug wrench of the correct size, and the jack fits nicely in the small storage compartment at the rear of the C-Max at the rear of the battery.

As a starting point, we have decided to carry the donut spare when travelling locally and carry the full-size spare when venturing away from our local area and see how things go. I know, the tires (even the donut) take up alot of space, but generally speaking, the C-Max is not short on space.

I have some pics to show with this item, but the attach program tells me that  they are too big to upload. Can someone instruct me in how to get them to upload, please ?

I pay good money to AAA for roadside service anywhere in the US.  Plus the coverage Ford extends with my extended warranty.  I'm not worried about not having a spare.  If I have a tire problem while crossing the country this summer to the gathering?  Oh well, AAA to the rescue.  Just my feelings on the subject.

I pay good money to AAA for roadside service anywhere in the US.  Plus the coverage Ford extends with my extended warranty.  I'm not worried about not having a spare.  If I have a tire problem while crossing the country this summer to the gathering?  Oh well, AAA to the rescue.  Just my feelings on the subject.

When I had my blow-out, I had AAA, but I figured 20min to be back on my way was a better deal than "getting my money's worth" and twiddling my thumbs by the side of the road for 90min or so waiting for service to arrive on the scene. The only time I needed a road call from AAA was because of a dead battery, and that's how long it took them to show up at a shopping center in suburbia. Out on a highway in the middle of nowhere sounds like an even worse proposition to me.

Some places where I travel in Oregon, Washington, California and Nevada have  no cell phone coverage. I can not imagine how long I would have to wait to resume my travel should I suffer damage to a tire that could not be "plugged". It has happened to me previously to a tire that had less than 100 miles on it.

• 2 weeks later...

A 15" wheel actually fits on the C-Max? I have 16s with winter tires mounted now, and I see very little clearance available between the wheel and the brake caliper.

I've looked at 2012-2013 Focus spare tires and jack kits on ebay. They are usually salvaged from wrecks and sold by "auto recyclers". That could be another source for the needed parts. The BMW crowd can get pre-packaged spare tire kits for those who want to ditch their run-flats and want something more than an inflator. Maybe someone will offer something similar for C-Max owners eventually.

So has it been determined that the 2012 and 2013 Focus spare tire and jacks works ?  How about other years of the focus ?  I just looked on ebay and there is one 2012 spare tire for $125 obo while a 2005 was available for 58.  Thanks.

I got a flat before I used up my first tank of gas. Luckily someone at work had a plug kit. Before that I never knew that it was OK to plug radials.

Was this plug kit one you could use without removing the tire from the rim?

Here is a link to an article on tire repair which says that's not a good way to go.

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/art_and_leisure/2011-02-repairing-todays-tires-beware-of-tire-plugs.html

So has it been determined that the 2012 and 2013 Focus spare tire and jacks works ?  How about other years of the focus ?  I just looked on ebay and there is one 2012 spare tire for $125 obo while a 2005 was available for 58.  Thanks.

I believe the earlier Focus models used a 4-lug pattern.

I also have a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL.  It has the exact same Michelin tires in the same size.  The Fusion has donut spare that I am sure would fit.  

The bolt pattern on a 2012 Fusion is different than the bolt pattern on a C-Max.

2012 Fusion, Escape= 5-114mm

2013 Fusion, Escape= 5-108mm

pre 2012 Focus= 4-108mm

2012 & 2013 Focus= 5-108mm

2013 C-Max= 5-108mm

There's a long discussion about a spare on the Fusion Hybrid forum and here is one quote that makes me wonder:

"I didn't come up with this different diameter wheel issue, it would not have occurred to me that a small spare would cause a problem..

This concern is simply because I've read many other Forums about this, Mustang, Fusion, Corvette, etc.

Some have brake clearance issues, but all the Ford Forums are concerned about the digital controls for the drive train and damage that can happen, plus the possibility the car's computer will just got into 'limp' mode.

I don't really know, just trying to find out because I'd like a spare, if it won't hurt anything when I use it.

There is a reason Ford didn't put a spare in these cars, besides weight and cost."    

Original Michelins on the MAX are 225/50 R 17 and since I dislike driving naked, my tire dealer found a steel wheel and off-the-wall Chinese tire ( HEADWAY 205/60 R 16 ) that can be used as a spare, but in the trunk (or behind the front seat) that thing is HUGE and weighs in at 47 lbs., not a very satisfying solution for the peace of mind it brings.

Here's a great calculator for comparing tire sizes:   http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoTireMath.jsp

The bolt pattern on a 2012 Fusion is different than the bolt pattern on a C-Max.

pre 2012 Focus= 4-108mm

2013 C-Max= 5-108mm

Thanks, shows what I know.  I would have been an unhappy camper if I would have put the Fusion spare in the C-Max for a trip and when I needed it, it didn't fit.

A large piece of metal punctioned my right rear tire.  Hit dead center.  Tire went flat within one city block.  Pulled into a bank parking lot and called the1-800 number for FORD.  Tow truck arrived within 20 minutes and took C-Max to my dealer, which, fortunately, was only 2-3 miles down the road.  Service Dept. closed (late Saturday) but the sales people will very helpful.  Will probably need to buy a new tire.  I don't think the warranty covers road hazard damage to tires.

I decided not to use the tire sealant or air pump because the metal was at least one inch wide and probably already destroyed the radial belts. I figured why also destroy the pressure sensor and valve stem using the can of sealant? 

It was after I bought the C-Max that I realized that it has no spare tire.  I wasn't too concerned because my 40+ years of driving, most punctures were nails and the sealant should work fine.  I never thought I'd drive over a piece of metal that looks like the pointed end of a bayonet.....

Now, imagine I'm on Route 2 crossing in the middle of Montana and out of cell phone range.  Mmmmmm, I wonder if the tire sealant and air pump would work enough to get me to a tire dealer - with a big piece of metal sticking out of the tire?????

A large piece of metal punctioned my right rear tire.  Hit dead center.  Tire went flat within one city block.  Pulled into a bank parking lot and called the1-800 number for FORD.  Tow truck arrived within 20 minutes and took C-Max to my dealer, which, fortunately, was only 2-3 miles down the road.  Service Dept. closed (late Saturday) but the sales people will very helpful.  Will probably need to buy a new tire.  I don't think the warranty covers road hazard damage to tires.

I decided not to use the tire sealant or air pump because the metal was at least one inch wide and probably already destroyed the radial belts. I figured why also destroy the pressure sensor and valve stem using the can of sealant? 

It was after I bought the C-Max that I realized that it has no spare tire.  I wasn't too concerned because my 40+ years of driving, most punctures were nails and the sealant should work fine.  I never thought I'd drive over a piece of metal that looks like the pointed end of a bayonet.....

Now, imagine I'm on Route 2 crossing in the middle of Montana and out of cell phone range.  Mmmmmm, I wonder if the tire sealant and air pump would work enough to get me to a tire dealer - with a big piece of metal sticking out of the tire?????

If they were REALLy helpful, they would have taken a wheel (w tire) off a new C-Max on the lot and put it on your car.  Or let you take the wheel (w tire) to a tire shop to have the tire put on your wheel - they could have put a new tire on the wheel from the car on the lot later.

It was 6 p.m., Saturday - only people at the dealership was the salesmen.  We'll see what happens on Monday.  I suspect I'll have to buy a new tire, which will cost around $180 to $200.  I think its the Michelin Energy Saver A/S.  A piece of metal into a tire isn't really a warranty item.  Michelin makes good tires and, of course, Ford didn't make the tires.  If the belts separated or something, then it would be a different story.  But we can't expect the dealer or Ford to cover everything.  The tire warranty book did not list punctures as a warranted activity. 

It would be nice if, when buying the car, we could buy a hazard policy for the tires, if we wanted it.

It was 6 p.m., Saturday - only people at the dealership was the salesmen.  We'll see what happens on Monday.  I suspect I'll have to buy a new tire, which will cost around $180 to $200.  I think its the Michelin Energy Saver A/S.  A piece of metal into a tire isn't really a warranty item.  Michelin makes good tires and, of course, Ford didn't make the tires.  If the belts separated or something, then it would be a different story.  But we can't expect the dealer or Ford to cover everything.  The tire warranty book did not list punctures as a warranted activity. 

It would be nice if, when buying the car, we could buy a hazard policy for the tires, if we wanted it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the money.  I really just meant that they could have done something (and charged you for the new tire) so that you would not have to go C-Max-less until Monday.

pre 2012 Focus= 4-108mm

2013 C-Max= 5-108mm

http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/Wheel-Bolt-Pattern-Cross-Reference-Database.asp?Makes=Ford&Models=WINDSTAR

This web page confirms the 5 - 108mm bolt pattern of the Windstar and also has other cars that use the same pattern, THOUGH NOT NECESSARILY THE RIGHT SIZE FOR THE C-MAX.  The page also shows adapters to move from one pattern to another but they are way expensive.

By the way, I just bought a Windstar spare off of ebay.  Thanks for blazing the trail Roger Eastman.

Edited by obob