Spare Tire Solution for C-Max Hybrid.

Roger Eastman

obob - where do you plan to place the spare tire in the C-Max?

I would almost consider a roof rack for the spare tire even with the drag on mpg.  My recent experience with a really bad flat tire did not leave a good feeling.

Not sure.  I was thinking in the back.  Somewhere on this forum there is a picture of a spare in the back storage area with bungy-like straps.  When I travel I was thinking I could put the luggage in the back where it could be hidden, and put the tire in the back seat area on the floor.  When I get the tire I will clean it up.

I got the spare tire for 55 and a jack for 25 from ebay(shipped).  Haven't gotten the items yet.  My guess is these ebay sellers will haggle but I didn't do that.  

I am hoping I don't have problems like 

"I didn't come up with this different diameter wheel issue, it would not have occurred to me that a small spare would cause a problem..

This concern is simply because I've read many other Forums about this, Mustang, Fusion, Corvette, etc.

Some have brake clearance issues, but all the Ford Forums are concerned about the digital controls for the drive train and damage that can happen, plus the possibility the car's computer will just got into 'limp' mode.

I don't really know, just trying to find out because I'd like a spare, if it won't hurt anything when I use it.

There is a reason Ford didn't put a spare in these cars, besides weight and cost."  (quote post in this thread by Jaz from fusion forum)

( see my post below to view negative side effects of using the 2000 Windstar spare )

I also have a tire plug kit, but having the boy scout be prepared mentality, I wanted to give this a try.  

In the decades I have been driving never had a flat tire that I couldn't fix with a plug kit and a pump, but there is always a first.  

Edited by obob

I've got a cover for my full-size spare and it either sits in the trunk or vertical on the passenger floor behind my (driver's) seat.  It's large and heavy(47 lbs.) but I was leery about a space saver after reading all the chatter in the Fusion Forum.  Major compromise regardless of what one chooses.

• 2 weeks later...

NOTE: After reading JAZ's post #94 I can't recommend the Windstar tire for the tire is old and may not be reliable.

(Though I am keeping mine and I do not think it is unsafe, I think Ford should offer one that is a perfect fit. )

Summary: 2000 Windstar donut spare is smaller and tested with traction control off it pulls on braking.  Scissor jack for Wind

dstar works fine and lug nut wrench fits.

As stated before "I got a 2000 Windstar (donut) spare tire for 55 and a jack for 25 from ebay(shipped)."

The tire is a T135-90R15.  The scissor jack comes with a lug wrench and has a groove where it connects to the frame.  It works fine.  Though the lug wrench left small marks on the soft outer metal of the lugs.  The jack point I used was where another part of the frame connects to the outer part.  It was right where the front door begins (jacking up the front driver side wheel.)

The spare tire has a circumference of about 78 inches.  The C-Max tire has a circumference of 82 inches.  The spare is about 3/4 of an inch lower when standing the two up.   The spare was inflated to near the suggested 60 psi.

I put the spare tire on.  The lugs did fit on the spare but they look pretty weird.

I turned off traction control.  (By the way, after turning the car off it defaulted back to traction control.)

In hindsight I wish I had so tried it with traction control on.

I went out for a test drive and it drives ok.  The fastest I went was 45. There was not a clearance problem with the 15" wheel.

BRAKING - it pulls toward the spare tire. Just a little on a soft stop - like 100% score on breaking.  It pulls pretty bad on a medium or hard stops.

I am not sure if the pulling is because of the computer overcompensating for the circumference or width or just something with such a thin tire or because of the smaller circumference not brake computer related.  I would appreciate some thoughts on that. (see update at the bottom)

I am not happy with the imperfect solution but if I were to return the wheel it would cost me 20 to ship it and the ebay seller would deduct 20 so I would get 15 back (ball park numbers) plus my time - I am thinking about keeping it.  For the emergency situation which is temporary and hopefully rare or never.  If I do that I will keep a note for myself to turn off traction control. I was going to try it with traction control turned on but was feeling kind of crappy so I didn't bother.  I also have a tire plug kit for punctures.

I would think the key in buying from ebay is to tell the seller the circumference I am looking for.

The jack ship weight was 8 lbs.  The tire ship weight was 28 lbs.  The jack seems like something that a LOT of other cars would have.  

The real solution is for Ford to get a product for people who want a spare.  This is not a super cheap-o car.

By the way, with the tire off the car it looks even more like a race car high performance tire.

UPDATE: So I kind of figured out that it pulls because the spare is spinning faster so it exerts more friction on the brake pad.  I am keeping the spare.

Edited by obob

I found just about everything I need for a spare in my garage.  A temporary spare for my other car (also didn't come with a spare) that I bought last year is very close to the diameter of the C-Max stock tire.  And the jack for my other car also works.  Just need to include in a 3/4" socket and long breaker bar, plus a hub adapter, which I have to order for about $60.  The car is a 2012 Mini Countryman and the spare is a 135/80-17, 25.5" in diameter compared to 25.9" for the C-Max or Mini tire.

Was this plug kit one you could use without removing the tire from the rim?

Here is a link to an article on tire repair which says that's not a good way to go.

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/art_and_leisure/2011-02-repairing-todays-tires-beware-of-tire-plugs.html

I used to own a GMC Syclone pickup which had 245-35 Z-rated radials on the rear axle.  Those fat boys always seemed to pickup nails, screws.  I'd come out and had a flat.  I'd jack it up, find the offending piece of road hazard.  Pull it out and using a tire plug kit I bought at a local auto parts store for less than $15.  I'd ream out the hole with the T-Handle reamer supplied with the kit.  Apply the cement to the hole and the tire ribbon plug.  Shove it in the hole according to the included instructions.  Let it dry for 15 minutes.  Refill the tire, and I was back in business.  Not a difficult repair, but I did have to remove the tire from the vehicle to do it.

Edited by mtb9153

• 2 weeks later...

Apply the cement to the hole and the tire ribbon plug.  Shove it in the hole according to the included instructions.  Let it dry for 15 minutes.  Refill the tire, and I was back in business.  Not a difficult repair, but I did have to remove the tire from the vehicle to do it.

Since the adoption of radial tires in the late 80's, early 90's in the motorcycle world, these have become a part of the motorcycle traveler's kit.  I have one of these kits in the battery storage compartment along with a sealed package of hand wipes and small  needle nose pliers to pull out the object.  I'll eventually move those to the hidden floor compartment and put a set of jumper cables in its place.

Edited by fotomoto

Since the adoption of radial tires in the late 80's, early 90's in the motorcycle world, these have become a part of the motorcycle traveler's kit.  I have one of these kits in the battery storage compartment along with a sealed package of hand wipes and small  needle nose pliers to pull out the object.  I'll eventually move those to the hidden floor compartment and put a set of jumper cables in its place.

Just got my C-Max 2 days ago...replacing my  2010 Honda Insight that I will sell.  I have got 2 flats with the Honda...one was a metal stake through the sidewall.  No patch kit would have been able to repair that tire...if I was on the road after the tire stores are closed I would have been stranded....Luckily the Honda comes with a spare tire.

Just got my C-Max 2 days ago...replacing my  2010 Honda Insight that I will sell.  I have got 2 flats with the Honda...one was a metal stake through the sidewall.  No patch kit would have been able to repair that tire...if I was on the road after the tire stores are closed I would have been stranded....Luckily the Honda comes with a spare tire.

Oh I'd prefer having a mini-spare included but in over 35 years of driving both two and four wheels I've never had a non-repairable flat.  In fact, I've never had to change a tire on the side of the road.*    Just out of curiosity, are you going to carry this 24/7 or keep it in the garage?  

*of course I've just jinxed myself.  :(

I've been driving 2 and 4 wheelers for about 35 years, too. I've had at least a half-dozen flats and only 2 were repairable. My last flat was a blowout at 70MPH on I-57. There's nothing like having your car up on a jack and getting buffeted by the wind kicked up by 18-wheelers zipping by. At least the weather was nice that day.

Oh I'd prefer having a mini-spare included but in over 35 years of driving both two and four wheels I've never had a non-repairable flat.  In fact, I've never had to change a tire on the side of the road.*    Just out of curiosity, are you going to carry this 24/7 or keep it in the garage?  

*of course I've just jinxed myself.  :(

I am going to carry it 24/7...I feel more secure and prepared...especially at night.  I drive new or newer cars because I never want to breakdown....especially on a highway...sidewall failure or puncture/hole greater than 1/4" cannot  be fixed with the baby compressor and tire goo under the front seat.  Do I want to be helpless if I get a flat?...road service is not going to bring you a new tire and get you on your way...they will tow you to a hotel and ruin your trip.  Unless you don't mind being stranded not wanting a spare tire to me is inconceivable.

Edited by graniteman

I am going to carry it 24/7...I feel more secure and prepared...especially at night.  I drive new or newer cars because I never want to breakdown....especially on a highway...sidewall failure or puncture/hole greater than 1/4" cannot  be fixed with the baby compressor and tire goo under the front seat.  Do I want to be helpless if I get a flat?...road service is not going to bring you a new tire and get you on your way...they will tow you to a hotel and ruin your trip.  Unless you don't mind being stranded not wanting a spare tire to me is inconceivable.

• 2 weeks later...

Our pre-C-Max car was a 2000 Honda Insight.

Did you purchase the one listed in your link?  The one for the Sable?  Please let me know. Thanks

These are likely from wrecked vehicles with age unknown. Use at own risk. From Michelin:

While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit.

• 1 month later...

Due to an upcoming long, out of state family trip that will be out in the middle of nowhere (and spotty cell coverage), I got a spare from the ebay vendor selling them for $65 shipped.  Good condition.   Afterwards, it will remain in the garage as a daily backup.  I installed it on the front and took it on a test drive.  Yes, under braking it will pull to the side it's installed on due to the size differences.  I quickly got use to that and at one point found myself at 65mph!  Opps.   :drop:

null_zps8e5d0a87.jpg

I put a label on my temp. spare to install only on a rear position.  In case of a front flat, my jack can lift both wheels on one side, then a good wheel can be installed on the front position, and the spare on the rear position.

Is your jack an ordinary scissor jack? Where was the jack point ?  Thanks.

My feeling on not putting my spare (which is smaller and pulls) on the front goes something like this: if I have front flat, and it looks fixable with my plug kit, I will try that first. If I can't fix it I will change it using the spare.  If I am not in a rush, or am not in a risky area that I want to get out of quickly, or I do not have a lot of driving to do before I can have it fixed I will just put it on the front.  Otherwise I will put it on the back and put the back tire on the front.

I think the label idea is good.  I will also mention on the label about the traction control off until I know that it OK to drive with it on.

The jack points are indicated by small triangles in the plastic lower molding, in front 6" behind the front wheel opening, and in the rear about 13" in front of the rear wheel opening.  The jack has a slot for the chassis seam at those points.  I'm using a scissor jack from my 2012 Mini which uses the same type of seam jack points.  You can buy a similar jack at Harbor Freight for less than $20.

The jack points are indicated by small triangles in the plastic lower molding, in front 6" behind the front wheel opening, and in the rear about 13" in front of the rear wheel opening.  The jack has a slot for the chassis seam at those points.  I'm using a scissor jack from my 2012 Mini which uses the same type of seam jack points.  You can buy a similar jack at Harbor Freight for less than $20.

"my jack can lift both wheels on one side"  So are you saying that either of those jack points will lift both wheels up ?

I have not tried it on my C-Max yet, but on previous cars, namely my 1983 Celica autocross race car, I would put the jack at the balance point. In that car, it was just barely in front of half the wheel base. The C-Max is a bit more nose heavy, so I would guess about a foot in front of middle of the wheel base. To reduce stress on the car, I had a foot long 2x4 with a slot in it that I would place over the body seam and put a floor jack on that, it easily lifted both tires without hurting anything. 

I have also run mismatched tires on the same axle, both front and rear on cars with ABS and traction control and it has not been a problem. As for ABS, when you roll straight with no acceleration or deceleration, it sees the different speeds and uses that for the base. I tried it on ice and the ABS worked fine. I would assume the traction control does something similar. Worst case would be less accurate control when you do lose traction, but let's face it, if you were driving on a mini spare, you will be taking it easy anyways. The only cars that have an issue with different tire diameters for even low speed careful driving are mechanical limited slip systems. Any speed difference at all will cause the clutches to be constantly slipping and getting hot and even wearing, let alone the pull it will cause, even just coasting. I had an Eagle Talon AWD, it's "mini spare" looked like a frisbie. full diameter, but only 4 inches wide. 

The different diameter can cause a slight pull under braking, but if you are getting a strong pull, it is more likely an offset problem. The center of the tire is not the same distance from the center of the steering pivot compared to the tire on the other side. There is normally some offset, but since the two sides match, the torque induced in the steering is cancelled when the offsets match. even perfect diameter can cause a strong pull under braking if the offset is off even a half inch. But again, we are talking an emergency spare to get you to a tire shop. Drive a bit slower and carefully with more following distance while on the mini spare. That should be the rule any time and in any car when on a mismatched tire.