Spare Tire Solution for C-Max Hybrid.

Roger Eastman

The hydraulic bottle jack I got at Harbor Freight is too tall!  http://www.harborfreight.com/4-ton-hydraulic-bottle-jack-66450.html  It barely fits under the rear jack point with air in the tire, and if it were flat there's no way it would fit, and it doesn't fit under the front jack point at all.  It also doesn't entirely collapse back down on its own, making removing the jack a bit difficult.

So, anyone had a short hydraulic jack alternative, or am I going to have to go with a scissor jack after all, which Harbor also sells for the same price?  http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-ton-scissor-jack-66907.html

Your link is to a 4 ton.  I'm using a 2 ton that I got it at Northern tool not Harbor freight.  Also make sure you are using the correct jack point.  There is a triangle imprint in the black plastic trim as a locator.  See first photo in post #72.  There is less clearance to the left or right of that point.  Good Luck!

Yeah, that 4 ton is the smallest one they have.  I measured at the jack points, it's about 8" of clearance in the rear and 7" in the front.  That jack has a minimum clearance of 7 5/8".  The scissor jack is 3 3/4", so it will have plenty of room.

Tested it today and it worked fine.  In fact, I liked raising it a bit more than the hydraulic.
post-629-0-68050700-1377977395_thumb.jpg

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

Well I got my first (and hopefully last) flat.  The good news is I made it home from work.  I had my spare with me and yes I got a low pressure warning but it was a very slow leak.  I suspect I picked it up at lunch.

null_zpsde60e228.jpg

null_zpsd0ba1220.jpg

The culprit:  a broken off razor from a box cutter tool.

null_zpsd4ee83a5.jpg

Got it repaired with my plug kit.  Going to see if it will hold till this weekend when I'd like to take it in for a interior plug.

null_zps71c14703.jpg

The BAD news is my 2 ton bottle jack was too tall to fit under the car at the specified jack point.  In a pinch (roadside), I could have put it under the suspension but I'll be returning it for a scissor jack.  I found they have them at walmart in the automotive section for about $20.  I will edit my previous post recommending it.

Thanks to all in this forum for the spare tire info. Ordered from the Miami eBay seller ($39.90 + $23.00 FedEx Home Delivery shipping) yesterday. Also bought the on sale $18.99 scissor jack from the local Harbor Freight store, and a collapsible 14" lug nut wrench from Walmart for $12.92, plus a 10' ratchet for $3.44 from Walmart. Also ordered the 21 1/5" cover from Amazon for $10.91 plus $5.58 shipping.

This was all inspired by just returning from driving 1,250 miles over 10 days in England & Scotland, and having an Avis car with no spare. On day 1 hit something, gauge said stop, low pressure. Tried to use the inflator/sealant, and it flowed out the sidewall. Person at a fish & chips drove us to a hotel that Sat. night. Avis roadside service tried to send a replacement tire...but 215/45-18 was not available. Sun. morning got it towed 25 miles to only Avis open that day, and got a replacement. Also without a spare! Total billed to me was $430 for the "tyre" and the tow was not charged. Filing a claim with VISA since they cover rental car damage. I didn't pay the extra collision Avis fee at rental. First rental car issue in over 40 years of rentals. So I want a spare in my C-Max for any trips outside my metro area!

Thanks to all in this forum for the spare tire info. Ordered from the Miami eBay seller ($39.90 + $23.00 FedEx Home Delivery shipping) yesterday. Also bought the on sale $18.99 scissor jack from the local Harbor Freight store, and a collapsible 14" lug nut wrench from Walmart for $12.92, plus a 10' ratchet for $3.44 from Walmart. Also ordered the 21 1/5" cover from Amazon for $10.91 plus $5.58 shipping.

Total: $114.74 (for those wondering)

Yesterday, with the spare time I had, I went down to the local wrecking yard and went through a whole bin of scissor jacks. I t was hard to make a decision, but  I picked out a scissor jack ( made by Toyota), a short lug wrench and jack handle for the sum of $10.00. I am more than aware that most people do not have the time or inclination to do that but for me it was worth it and kinda fun. I couldn`t wait to get it home and clean it up and lube the jack screw. Last night I got the urge to try it out and I was surprised how easy it was to use and get the front tire off the ground. I have two floor jacks already, numerous bottle jacks of different sizes but the scissor jack will be a perfect fit for the little hidden storage compartment in back.

My wife is the primary driver of our new Ford C-Max and she has never had a flat in the last 30 years, so she was a little confused when I showed her the new jack. :headscratch:  Hopefully we will never have to use it, but we will have one if we need it. As with other posters, just having a spare and jack is worth the peace of mind it provides. :shift:

Like I Posted Earlier, I got a Brand New Emergency Spare (Donut) Tire, same size fits 2006 Taurus and 2012 (5) Bolt 16`` Focus for $30 plus the Amazon 21` Tire Cover for $11 with (free shipping) if the Amazon order is $25 or more!  I purchased a ratchet tie down strap on Ebay for $3.50 to secure the tire.  I have not purchased either a scissors jack, jack handle or lug wrench an will await either AAA or Ford Roadside Assistance should I need a Tire change.  If your cell phone operates on either AT&T or Verizon, it is (very) unlikely that you will be in a totally dead zone where you can`t make a call.  I have AT&T on my Phone and my Wife has T-Mobile, one should work unless your way out in the "boonies".  Now if I still had "Metro PCS" as my Wireless Carrier, I`d probably reconsider and start hunting for the other accessories. Hopefully the Tow Truck that arrives will have the proper type Jack to allow enough clearance in order to lift the Vehicle.

Edited by Phil1336

I can't understand what's happening here. Did you have to make a hole in the cover for that strap to pass through? :-/

Good question!  :detective:

If you look at the 3 o'clock position on the cover in the second photo of my post (not the one above you quoted),  you might see the stitching for a sewn in slot.  That's where I threaded it through.  

Using the same slot and tie down points, I'm now laying the wheel down so I can still utilize the privacy cover.

Good question!  :detective:

If you look at the 3 o'clock position on the cover in the second photo of my post (not the one above you quoted),  you might see the stitching for a sewn in slot.  That's where I threaded it through.  

Using the same slot and tie down points, I'm now laying the wheel down so I can still utilize the privacy cover.

Great idea!  I too will simply lay the Spare Donut Emergency Tire (flat) to allow the privacy shade cover to be used.  With the matching Vinyl Tire Cover keeping everything clean, no need to worry about placing something on top of it and getting it dirty or soiled.

Got my tire by FedEx and my cover by UPS, both arrived on Wed (9/11/13). Based on size, smaller than expected, I decided to put the tire flat on the floor of the hatch area...still plenty of room around it. Allows use of the privacy shade cover. Can be easily removed in case I have to carry larger items back there. Used an existing bungy cord to "tie" it down. Height of the spare tire is no higher than the apparent height of the Energi hatch floor.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I bought a spare for a 2012 Focus from a local salvage yard.  $50 + tax.  The tire is T125/80R16, not the T135/70D16 used on Taurus, etc.  It has the same 5 hole 108mm bolt pattern as the C-MAX.  It fits nicely on the C-MAX with no interference issues.

When I got home, I compared tire specifications:

T135/70D16      T125/80R16

outer diameter                   23.94"                 24.33"

rolling circumference         72.05"                 73.50"

width                                   5.75"                   5.28"

load capacity                   1760 lbs              1606 lbs

The Focus spare is ever so slightly larger around than the Taurus spare.  That gives it a very slight advantage while driving with it in place, although both spares are smaller than the full-size tire.

The 154 pound lower load capacity is minimal, IMHO.  I estimate the load on a C-MAX rear tire to be less than 1000 pounds, so there is ample margin.

Bob

"The only negative I see about getting the Windstar tire is that it may be dirty and need some sanding and paint for the spare is outside the car.  Mine while 13 years old does not look dry rotted to me."

Obob, I was appalled at the condition of the original tire on my Freestar when I removed it at 9 years and 50,000 miles.  Still don't know why it hadn't disintegrated on the road.  From the following:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

The current industry association recommendations regarding inspecting and replacing tires due to age originate outside the United States.

The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

"Environmental conditions like exposure to sunlight and coastal climates, as well as poor storage and infrequent use, accelerate the aging process. In ideal conditions, a tyre may have a life expectancy that exceeds ten years from its date of manufacture. However, such conditions are rare. Aging may not exhibit any external indications and, since there is no non-destructive test to assess the serviceability of a tyre, even an inspection carried out by a tyre expert may not reveal the extent of any deterioration."

Edited by JAZ

I just picked up a scissors jack from HF, and had to go through 5 of them before I found one that did not have a bent screw.  Not sure why they had so many that were messed up (they did not appear to be used).  I'd suggest checking it out first - should be able to turn the screw by hand without too much trouble, if not it is probably bent.  There is a 25% off coupon out there right now.  Also picked up one of these.

I went for the 2012 focus spare since it is newer rubber and may last longer (I don't know how well spares last over the years).

"The only negative I see about getting the Windstar tire is that it may be dirty and need some sanding and paint for the spare is outside the car.  Mine while 13 years old does not look dry rotted to me."

Obob, I was appalled at the condition of the original tire on my Freestar when I removed it at 9 years and 50,000 miles.  Still don't know why it hadn't disintegrated on the road.  From the following:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

The current industry association recommendations regarding inspecting and replacing tires due to age originate outside the United States.

The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

"Environmental conditions like exposure to sunlight and coastal climates, as well as poor storage and infrequent use, accelerate the aging process. In ideal conditions, a tyre may have a life expectancy that exceeds ten years from its date of manufacture. However, such conditions are rare. Aging may not exhibit any external indications and, since there is no non-destructive test to assess the serviceability of a tyre, even an inspection carried out by a tyre expert may not reveal the extent of any deterioration."

This is interesting, but makes sense for normal tires.  Spares are normally stored inside the vehicle so that may help with mitigating some of the factors that degrade the rubber, though certainly not the ideal conditions they mentioned.  The big problem I see is that you can't really find any place that sells a replacement (new) spare, in a lot of cases, so seems to be a catch 22.

I went for the 2012 focus spare since it is newer rubber and may last longer (I don't know how well spares last over the years).

That's the same reason I went for the 2012 Focus spare over the older Taurus spare - newer rubber.

I picked up a HF jack yesterday.  I didn't see any with bent screws, but the first one I looked at was missing the cranking handle.  I plan to give the screw a good coating of lubricant before using it and to keep it well lubed in hopes of preventing screw thread damage.

My wife is, as I type, making a spare tire cover.  She is making it large enough to cover the full-size tire after we replace it with the spare.  We hope to prevent, or at least minimize, the impact of a dirty, wet tire on the interior of the car.  (Flats always seem to occur during inclement weather, don't they?)

Bob

• 7 months later...

HEy Guys I was wanting a spare donut for our c max when we go on long trips but I got to reading post and thought it be better to get a full size to avoid this comment

"I didn't come up with this different diameter wheel issue, it would not have occurred to me that a small spare would cause a problem..

This concern is simply because I've read many other Forums about this, Mustang, Fusion, Corvette, etc.

Some have brake clearance issues, but all the Ford Forums are concerned about the digital controls for the drive train and damage that can happen, plus the possibility the car's computer will just got into 'limp' mode.

I don't really know, just trying to find out because I'd like a spare, if it won't hurt anything when I use it.

There is a reason Ford didn't put a spare in these cars, besides weight and cost."  

What tire do you guys know I could get out of a local salvage yard off a older vechile that would fit the c max for a full size where I dont have to worry about this?

Edited by borail

HEy Guys I was wanting a spare donut for our c max when we go on long trips but I got to reading post and thought it be better to get a full size to avoid this comment

"I didn't come up with this different diameter wheel issue, it would not have occurred to me that a small spare would cause a problem..

This concern is simply because I've read many other Forums about this, Mustang, Fusion, Corvette, etc.

Some have brake clearance issues, but all the Ford Forums are concerned about the digital controls for the drive train and damage that can happen, plus the possibility the car's computer will just got into 'limp' mode.

I don't really know, just trying to find out because I'd like a spare, if it won't hurt anything when I use it.

There is a reason Ford didn't put a spare in these cars, besides weight and cost."  

What tire do you guys know I could get out of a local salvage yard off a older vechile that would fit the c max for a full size where I dont have to worry about this?

I had a flat on Sunday.  I drove 6 miles home with donut spare on the right rear.  Monday I drove 5 miles to the tire shop to get a new tire.  I stayed below 40 mph with the donut in place - no issues and great gas mileage (approx 60 mpg).

I have seen some posts where people had issued with traction control or brake noise when they had donut in the front.

I think I'm going to call the local salvage yards for a 17 inch wheel with the bolt pattern 5 x 108 so I can carry around on long trips in back if that would work! Shouldn't matter what it comes off of right as long as its 17 inch wheel and got the 5 x 108 it should fit the c max?

Edited by borail