Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Spare Tire Solution for C-Max Hybrid.

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   joe

joe

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 197 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationvirginia
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 c-max sel

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

A large piece of metal punctioned my right rear tire.  Hit dead center.  Tire went flat within one city block.  Pulled into a bank parking lot and called the1-800 number for FORD.  Tow truck arrived within 20 minutes and took C-Max to my dealer, which, fortunately, was only 2-3 miles down the road.  Service Dept. closed (late Saturday) but the sales people will very helpful.  Will probably need to buy a new tire.  I don't think the warranty covers road hazard damage to tires.

I decided not to use the tire sealant or air pump because the metal was at least one inch wide and probably already destroyed the radial belts. I figured why also destroy the pressure sensor and valve stem using the can of sealant? 

It was after I bought the C-Max that I realized that it has no spare tire.  I wasn't too concerned because my 40+ years of driving, most punctures were nails and the sealant should work fine.  I never thought I'd drive over a piece of metal that looks like the pointed end of a bayonet.....

Now, imagine I'm on Route 2 crossing in the middle of Montana and out of cell phone range.  Mmmmmm, I wonder if the tire sealant and air pump would work enough to get me to a tire dealer - with a big piece of metal sticking out of the tire?????

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   DaveofDurham

DaveofDurham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 568 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationDurham NC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAx SEL

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

A large piece of metal punctioned my right rear tire.  Hit dead center.  Tire went flat within one city block.  Pulled into a bank parking lot and called the1-800 number for FORD.  Tow truck arrived within 20 minutes and took C-Max to my dealer, which, fortunately, was only 2-3 miles down the road.  Service Dept. closed (late Saturday) but the sales people will very helpful.  Will probably need to buy a new tire.  I don't think the warranty covers road hazard damage to tires.

I decided not to use the tire sealant or air pump because the metal was at least one inch wide and probably already destroyed the radial belts. I figured why also destroy the pressure sensor and valve stem using the can of sealant? 

It was after I bought the C-Max that I realized that it has no spare tire.  I wasn't too concerned because my 40+ years of driving, most punctures were nails and the sealant should work fine.  I never thought I'd drive over a piece of metal that looks like the pointed end of a bayonet.....

Now, imagine I'm on Route 2 crossing in the middle of Montana and out of cell phone range.  Mmmmmm, I wonder if the tire sealant and air pump would work enough to get me to a tire dealer - with a big piece of metal sticking out of the tire?????

If they were REALLy helpful, they would have taken a wheel (w tire) off a new C-Max on the lot and put it on your car.  Or let you take the wheel (w tire) to a tire shop to have the tire put on your wheel - they could have put a new tire on the wheel from the car on the lot later.

#23 OFFLINE   joe

joe

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 197 posts
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

It was 6 p.m., Saturday - only people at the dealership was the salesmen.  We'll see what happens on Monday.  I suspect I'll have to buy a new tire, which will cost around $180 to $200.  I think its the Michelin Energy Saver A/S.  A piece of metal into a tire isn't really a warranty item.  Michelin makes good tires and, of course, Ford didn't make the tires.  If the belts separated or something, then it would be a different story.  But we can't expect the dealer or Ford to cover everything.  The tire warranty book did not list punctures as a warranted activity. 

It would be nice if, when buying the car, we could buy a hazard policy for the tires, if we wanted it.

#24 OFFLINE   DaveofDurham

DaveofDurham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 568 posts
  • LocationDurham NC

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

It was 6 p.m., Saturday - only people at the dealership was the salesmen.  We'll see what happens on Monday.  I suspect I'll have to buy a new tire, which will cost around $180 to $200.  I think its the Michelin Energy Saver A/S.  A piece of metal into a tire isn't really a warranty item.  Michelin makes good tires and, of course, Ford didn't make the tires.  If the belts separated or something, then it would be a different story.  But we can't expect the dealer or Ford to cover everything.  The tire warranty book did not list punctures as a warranted activity. 

It would be nice if, when buying the car, we could buy a hazard policy for the tires, if we wanted it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the money.  I really just meant that they could have done something (and charged you for the new tire) so that you would not have to go C-Max-less until Monday.

#25 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 560 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:49 AM

The bolt pattern on a 2012 Fusion is different than the bolt pattern on a C-Max.

2012 Fusion, Escape= 5-114mm

2013 Fusion, Escape= 5-108mm

pre 2012 Focus= 4-108mm

2012 & 2013 Focus= 5-108mm

2013 C-Max= 5-108mm

http://www.roadkillc...Models=WINDSTAR

This web page confirms the 5 - 108mm bolt pattern of the Windstar and also has other cars that use the same pattern, THOUGH NOT NECESSARILY THE RIGHT SIZE FOR THE C-MAX.  The page also shows adapters to move from one pattern to another but they are way expensive.

By the way, I just bought a Windstar spare off of ebay.  Thanks for blazing the trail Roger Eastman.

Edited by obob, 30 April 2013 - 02:00 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   joe

joe

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 197 posts
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

obob - where do you plan to place the spare tire in the C-Max?

I would almost consider a roof rack for the spare tire even with the drag on mpg.  My recent experience with a really bad flat tire did not leave a good feeling.

#27 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 560 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

obob - where do you plan to place the spare tire in the C-Max?

I would almost consider a roof rack for the spare tire even with the drag on mpg.  My recent experience with a really bad flat tire did not leave a good feeling.

Not sure.  I was thinking in the back.  Somewhere on this forum there is a picture of a spare in the back storage area with bungy-like straps.  When I travel I was thinking I could put the luggage in the back where it could be hidden, and put the tire in the back seat area on the floor.  When I get the tire I will clean it up.

I got the spare tire for 55 and a jack for 25 from ebay(shipped).  Haven't gotten the items yet.  My guess is these ebay sellers will haggle but I didn't do that.  

I am hoping I don't have problems like 

"I didn't come up with this different diameter wheel issue, it would not have occurred to me that a small spare would cause a problem..

This concern is simply because I've read many other Forums about this, Mustang, Fusion, Corvette, etc.

Some have brake clearance issues, but all the Ford Forums are concerned about the digital controls for the drive train and damage that can happen, plus the possibility the car's computer will just got into 'limp' mode.

I don't really know, just trying to find out because I'd like a spare, if it won't hurt anything when I use it.

There is a reason Ford didn't put a spare in these cars, besides weight and cost."  (quote post in this thread by Jaz from fusion forum)

( see my post below to view negative side effects of using the 2000 Windstar spare )

I also have a tire plug kit, but having the boy scout be prepared mentality, I wanted to give this a try.  

In the decades I have been driving never had a flat tire that I couldn't fix with a plug kit and a pump, but there is always a first.  

Edited by obob, 30 July 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   JAZ

JAZ

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 337 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit Area
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

I've got a cover for my full-size spare and it either sits in the trunk or vertical on the passenger floor behind my (driver's) seat.  It's large and heavy(47 lbs.) but I was leery about a space saver after reading all the chatter in the Fusion Forum.  Major compromise regardless of what one chooses.

#29 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 560 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

NOTE: After reading JAZ's post #94 I can't recommend the Windstar tire for the tire is old and may not be reliable.

(Though I am keeping mine and I do not think it is unsafe, I think Ford should offer one that is a perfect fit. )

Summary: 2000 Windstar donut spare is smaller and tested with traction control off it pulls on braking.  Scissor jack for Wind

dstar works fine and lug nut wrench fits.

As stated before "I got a 2000 Windstar (donut) spare tire for 55 and a jack for 25 from ebay(shipped)."

The tire is a T135-90R15.  The scissor jack comes with a lug wrench and has a groove where it connects to the frame.  It works fine.  Though the lug wrench left small marks on the soft outer metal of the lugs.  The jack point I used was where another part of the frame connects to the outer part.  It was right where the front door begins (jacking up the front driver side wheel.)

The spare tire has a circumference of about 78 inches.  The C-Max tire has a circumference of 82 inches.  The spare is about 3/4 of an inch lower when standing the two up.   The spare was inflated to near the suggested 60 psi.

I put the spare tire on.  The lugs did fit on the spare but they look pretty weird.

I turned off traction control.  (By the way, after turning the car off it defaulted back to traction control.)

In hindsight I wish I had so tried it with traction control on.

I went out for a test drive and it drives ok.  The fastest I went was 45. There was not a clearance problem with the 15" wheel.

BRAKING - it pulls toward the spare tire. Just a little on a soft stop - like 100% score on breaking.  It pulls pretty bad on a medium or hard stops.

I am not sure if the pulling is because of the computer overcompensating for the circumference or width or just something with such a thin tire or because of the smaller circumference not brake computer related.  I would appreciate some thoughts on that. (see update at the bottom)

I am not happy with the imperfect solution but if I were to return the wheel it would cost me 20 to ship it and the ebay seller would deduct 20 so I would get 15 back (ball park numbers) plus my time - I am thinking about keeping it.  For the emergency situation which is temporary and hopefully rare or never.  If I do that I will keep a note for myself to turn off traction control. I was going to try it with traction control turned on but was feeling kind of crappy so I didn't bother.  I also have a tire plug kit for punctures.

I would think the key in buying from ebay is to tell the seller the circumference I am looking for.

The jack ship weight was 8 lbs.  The tire ship weight was 28 lbs.  The jack seems like something that a LOT of other cars would have.  

The real solution is for Ford to get a product for people who want a spare.  This is not a super cheap-o car.

By the way, with the tire off the car it looks even more like a race car high performance tire.

UPDATE: So I kind of figured out that it pulls because the spare is spinning faster so it exerts more friction on the brake pad.  I am keeping the spare.

Edited by obob, 04 March 2016 - 10:14 PM.

• JAZ likes this

#30 OFFLINE   DR61

DR61

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 53 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationRedding, CA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi, Mini ALL4

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

I found just about everything I need for a spare in my garage.  A temporary spare for my other car (also didn't come with a spare) that I bought last year is very close to the diameter of the C-Max stock tire.  And the jack for my other car also works.  Just need to include in a 3/4" socket and long breaker bar, plus a hub adapter, which I have to order for about $60.  The car is a 2012 Mini Countryman and the spare is a 135/80-17, 25.5" in diameter compared to 25.9" for the C-Max or Mini tire.

#31 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

Was this plug kit one you could use without removing the tire from the rim?

Here is a link to an article on tire repair which says that's not a good way to go.

http://www.aroundhaw...tire-plugs.html

I used to own a GMC Syclone pickup which had 245-35 Z-rated radials on the rear axle.  Those fat boys always seemed to pickup nails, screws.  I'd come out and had a flat.  I'd jack it up, find the offending piece of road hazard.  Pull it out and using a tire plug kit I bought at a local auto parts store for less than $15.  I'd ream out the hole with the T-Handle reamer supplied with the kit.  Apply the cement to the hole and the tire ribbon plug.  Shove it in the hole according to the included instructions.  Let it dry for 15 minutes.  Refill the tire, and I was back in business.  Not a difficult repair, but I did have to remove the tire from the vehicle to do it.

Edited by mtb9153, 08 May 2013 - 10:52 PM.

• DR61 and fotomoto like this

#32 OFFLINE   graniteman

graniteman

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max SEL

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

This ebay seller has 45 spares with wheels and they fit the C-Max---I purchased one, received it yesterday and put it on this morning with no problem.    http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

#33 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Apply the cement to the hole and the tire ribbon plug.  Shove it in the hole according to the included instructions.  Let it dry for 15 minutes.  Refill the tire, and I was back in business.  Not a difficult repair, but I did have to remove the tire from the vehicle to do it.

Since the adoption of radial tires in the late 80's, early 90's in the motorcycle world, these have become a part of the motorcycle traveler's kit.  I have one of these kits in the battery storage compartment along with a sealed package of hand wipes and small  needle nose pliers to pull out the object.  I'll eventually move those to the hidden floor compartment and put a set of jumper cables in its place.

Edited by fotomoto, 17 May 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   graniteman

graniteman

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Since the adoption of radial tires in the late 80's, early 90's in the motorcycle world, these have become a part of the motorcycle traveler's kit.  I have one of these kits in the battery storage compartment along with a sealed package of hand wipes and small  needle nose pliers to pull out the object.  I'll eventually move those to the hidden floor compartment and put a set of jumper cables in its place.

Just got my C-Max 2 days ago...replacing my  2010 Honda Insight that I will sell.  I have got 2 flats with the Honda...one was a metal stake through the sidewall.  No patch kit would have been able to repair that tire...if I was on the road after the tire stores are closed I would have been stranded....Luckily the Honda comes with a spare tire.

#35 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Just got my C-Max 2 days ago...replacing my  2010 Honda Insight that I will sell.  I have got 2 flats with the Honda...one was a metal stake through the sidewall.  No patch kit would have been able to repair that tire...if I was on the road after the tire stores are closed I would have been stranded....Luckily the Honda comes with a spare tire.

Oh I'd prefer having a mini-spare included but in over 35 years of driving both two and four wheels I've never had a non-repairable flat.  In fact, I've never had to change a tire on the side of the road.*    Just out of curiosity, are you going to carry this 24/7 or keep it in the garage?  

*of course I've just jinxed myself.  :(

#36 OFFLINE   StoBro2

StoBro2

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 213 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationLindenhurst IL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Titanium Hatchback w/handling pkg.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

I've been driving 2 and 4 wheelers for about 35 years, too. I've had at least a half-dozen flats and only 2 were repairable. My last flat was a blowout at 70MPH on I-57. There's nothing like having your car up on a jack and getting buffeted by the wind kicked up by 18-wheelers zipping by. At least the weather was nice that day.

#37 OFFLINE   graniteman

graniteman

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Oh I'd prefer having a mini-spare included but in over 35 years of driving both two and four wheels I've never had a non-repairable flat.  In fact, I've never had to change a tire on the side of the road.*    Just out of curiosity, are you going to carry this 24/7 or keep it in the garage?  

*of course I've just jinxed myself.  :(

I am going to carry it 24/7...I feel more secure and prepared...especially at night.  I drive new or newer cars because I never want to breakdown....especially on a highway...sidewall failure or puncture/hole greater than 1/4" cannot  be fixed with the baby compressor and tire goo under the front seat.  Do I want to be helpless if I get a flat?...road service is not going to bring you a new tire and get you on your way...they will tow you to a hotel and ruin your trip.  Unless you don't mind being stranded not wanting a spare tire to me is inconceivable.

Edited by graniteman, 17 May 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   MDSLNGR

MDSLNGR

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSFO
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FORD CMAX HYBRID

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

I am going to carry it 24/7...I feel more secure and prepared...especially at night.  I drive new or newer cars because I never want to breakdown....especially on a highway...sidewall failure or puncture/hole greater than 1/4" cannot  be fixed with the baby compressor and tire goo under the front seat.  Do I want to be helpless if I get a flat?...road service is not going to bring you a new tire and get you on your way...they will tow you to a hotel and ruin your trip.  Unless you don't mind being stranded not wanting a spare tire to me is inconceivable.

#39 OFFLINE   MDSLNGR

MDSLNGR

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSFO
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FORD CMAX HYBRID

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

graniteman, what kind of jack did you use?

#40 OFFLINE   DaveofDurham

DaveofDurham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 568 posts
  • LocationDurham NC

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

Our pre-C-Max car was a 2000 Honda Insight.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·