Spare Tire Solution for C-Max Hybrid.

Roger Eastman

There's a fourth spec you need to match, offset. For the stock wheel, a 17x7 H2 +55mm:

- diameter: 17"

- width: 7"

- bolt pattern 5x108, as you note

- offset: +55mm

Note that offset will have to change as you change rim width or the wheel moves inboard or outboard. The difference is half the rim width change. A 6.5" rim (1/2" or 12.7mm narrower) with the same wheel location will be 55-(12.5/2) = 49mm offset, like the 16x6.5" steel wheels on my snows.

HAve fun,

Frank

Edited by fbov

• 6 months later...

Now let's see, where did I see this.......A spare tire carrier for a full size spare, in some thread.  It was a hitch mounted spare tire carrier, slipped into a receiver and it had a hinge that folded back so you could get into the hatch.  Going a step or two farther, one could get a soft cover for that tire, or for more secure reasons, a metal or fiberglass cover that fits and locks the spare onto the carrier.  Taking it farther (as I might do), the hitch receiver would be ideal to use for the lightweight utility trailer that would be used only "sparingly" (pardon the pun...) when I need it for something too big/heavy/nasty to carry inside the car.

Now let's see, where did I see this.......A spare tire carrier for a full size spare, in some thread.  It was a hitch mounted spare tire carrier, slipped into a receiver and it had a hinge that folded back so you could get into the hatch. 

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/products/1st-gen-toyota-tacoma-products/fold-down-tire-carrier-premium-model. It's listed for Toyota, but they will make it for any vehicle, per their site. There was another one that I saw, but I can't remember where that was.

I was looking into the idea, but it would only be for when I travel. When I am home, I have no place to store it, since I live in a high rise condo without a garage storage space.

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/products/1st-gen-toyota-tacoma-products/fold-down-tire-carrier-premium-model. It's listed for Toyota, but they will make it for any vehicle, per their site. There was another one that I saw, but I can't remember where that was.

I was looking into the idea, but it would only be for when I travel. When I am home, I have no place to store it, since I live in a high rise condo without a garage storage space.

It would be slick if the spare tire could be positioned in a way that lowered the wind resistance and so improved gas mileage at high speeds.  

• 3 months later...

I do not find carrying a spare tire strapped down in the back a workable solution when there is a need to haul luggage and other gear. Install a bumper hitch with a fold down bike rack.  Adapt the bike rack with threaded studs to fit the lug pattern of either a space-saver or full size spare.  The rack will fold down allowing the lift gate to be opened.  You have the option of only using this set up when traveling on a trip where finding a replacement tire is uncertain.   

• 3 months later...

After some research I found a spare T125/80/17 from a 2004 Volvo S60 with the 5X108 bolt pattern and the H offset.  This tire is only 3/4 of an inch shorter than the stock 17 inch tires the cmax comes with.  Discount tires calculator says at 60 miles per hour your speed will only be off by two miles per hour.  I checked the clearance on the front and rear, it fit just fine. I got the tire and volvo jack for $50 dollars off craigs list.  I feel better having a spare tire, I don't use the green slim.  To many problems and cost after using it.

After some research I found a spare T125/80/17 from a 2004 Volvo S60 with the 5X108 bolt pattern and the H offset.  This tire is only 3/4 of an inch shorter than the stock 17 inch tires the cmax comes with.  Discount tires calculator says at 60 miles per hour your speed will only be off by two miles per hour.  I checked the clearance on the front and rear, it fit just fine. I got the tire and volvo jack for $50 dollars off craigs list.  I feel better having a spare tire, I don't use the green slim.  To many problems and cost after using it.

Nice research and nice find.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I will have to seriously look into all of the solutions brought up in this thread for a spare tire.  2 minutes had passed between the time the low tire pressure warning message came on and when I was able to pull over.  The tire was completely flat and the hole in it was big enough that the tire would not hold air for more than a minute.  I had to get my car towed to the dealership and they won't be able to fix it till Monday.  If I had a spare, then this wouldn't have had to get it towed and wouldn't have to rent a horrible 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage... I miss my C-MAX!

We bought a used full-size rim and new tire for it almost two years ago for our long trip into out-of-the-way places.  Its been back there ever since strapped down under three of the tie-downs.  (When we needed new tires, we bought three and the best old one became the spare.)  My intention is to get a compact spare and only carry the "big one" on trips where the "donot" spare ("do not" go fast, "do not" go far, etc) is not acceptable.  It takes up a bunch of space but we just put the back seats down and throw everything there - works for us as there's rarely more than two people in the car.  We've had only one tire problem (quite recently) with a piece of metal (large nail?) that caused a very slow leak - thankfully it was repairable.

I will have to seriously look into all of the solutions brought up in this thread for a spare tire.  2 minutes had passed between the time the low tire pressure warning message came on and when I was able to pull over.  The tire was completely flat and the hole in it was big enough that the tire would not hold air for more than a minute.  I had to get my car towed to the dealership and they won't be able to fix it till Monday.  If I had a spare, then this wouldn't have had to get it towed and wouldn't have to rent a horrible 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage... I miss my C-MAX!

That is a minor complaint I have against the Ford Roadside service. I wish they would give you the option of choosing where you want to go for a flat tire, rather than automatically sending you to a Ford dealership. On a weekend, it definitely can make the difference between having your car (at least within a day) and being back on the road vs. having to wait for Ford Service to open again on Monday morning (or Tuesday if a long weekend).

That is a minor complaint I have against the Ford Roadside service. I wish they would give you the option of choosing where you want to go for a flat tire, rather than automatically sending you to a Ford dealership. On a weekend, it definitely can make the difference between having your car (at least within a day) and being back on the road vs. having to wait for Ford Service to open again on Monday morning (or Tuesday if a long weekend).

Some car insurance policies have roadside assistance which would be a better way to go on the weekend. :)

Paul

Some car insurance policies have roadside assistance which would be a better way to go on the weekend. :)

Paul

I had thought of that, and there is also AAA. Just sad that you need to purchase a separate roadside assistance package to ensure you can get the car taken care of on the weekend.

I had thought of that, and there is also AAA. Just sad that you need to purchase a separate roadside assistance package to ensure you can get the car taken care of on the weekend.

I have Allstate and I think it came with the policy. :) I have have had a slow leak in both sets of tires which were fixable. With 127.8K miles I have been lucky so far. :yahoo: I have been planing to get a full size spare, but keep forgetting about it. ;)

Paul

Mine was just a simple nail in the tread.  I didn't pull over fast enough after the tired rapidly deflated, I damaged the sidewall of my tire.  The car was fixed today, but the rental cost $130, the new tire cost $325 including labour.  In total, it was a $450 lesson.  I will be getting myself a spare to "spare" myself of any future expensive lessons...

Mine was just a simple nail in the tread.  I didn't pull over fast enough after the tired rapidly deflated, I damaged the sidewall of my tire.  The car was fixed today, but the rental cost $130, the new tire cost $325 including labour.  In total, it was a $450 lesson.  I will be getting myself a spare to "spare" myself of any future expensive lessons...

That's too bad you couldn't pull over sooner. I wonder how long the nail was in the tire before the TPMS went off. 

You might want to consider a smartphone app like ForScan to monitor tire pressure and other data. IMO, ForScan is the best $30 investment one can make for their C-Max.   ForScan might have saved you from buying a new tire and maybe even a rental as usually nails and screws in the tread start out as very slow leaks.  IIRC, the US DOT requirement for TPMS alarm is that the alarm must go off if the pressure drops below 75% of the placard rating of 38 psi for 2013 C-MAX) which in this case is 28.5 psi.  I check pressure every time I drive the car and multiple times during shorter trips.  On long trips, I have a mount for my smartphone that suctions to the side window and extends to the steering wheel.

With respect to the posts on emergency road service via ones insurance, I pay $8.62 per year (total rate for two cars).

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread but there have been some recent posts. The thread is extremely informative.

I am a new owner of a 2013 C-Max and would like to purchase a donut. I have read through the thread carefully but am very confused by the different tire sizes and other specs thrown around (lug nut pattern or some such thing?). I don't understand what the tire sizes signify.

Is there a list or an easy way to know what tire sizes would fit best?

Thank you.

• 11 months later...

Another option I've been considering for a trip to pretty isolated parts of Canada is to just buy a replacement tire - same size as OEM.  Maybe even a used one if I can find one.   This would, of course, require getting it mounted on the tire that had gone flat but it would be a lot lighter and easier to stash behind the front seat.

Anyone have experience with this?  Of course it assumes that whatever caused the flat didn't also damage the wheel.

As another option, I have a set of winter tires mounted on steel wheels.  I'm pretty sure they're not identical to the size of the original tires and wheels, which I swap out at the end of the winter.  Any opinions on just taking one of those as an emergency spare? 

Thanks!

Another option I've been considering for a trip to pretty isolated parts of Canada is to just buy a replacement tire - same size as OEM.  Maybe even a used one if I can find one.   This would, of course, require getting it mounted on the tire that had gone flat but it would be a lot lighter and easier to stash behind the front seat.

Anyone have experience with this?  Of course it assumes that whatever caused the flat didn't also damage the wheel.

As another option, I have a set of winter tires mounted on steel wheels.  I'm pretty sure they're not identical to the size of the original tires and wheels, which I swap out at the end of the winter.  Any opinions on just taking one of those as an emergency spare? 

Thanks!

I have a donut spare and it is not the exact size.  I tested it out and it pulls a bit on braking, pulls a lot on hard braking, if it is on the front.  If I had time and got a flat on the front and had a lot of driving to do, I might put the spare on the back and mount a full size on the front. But I would be OK with just driving carefully with it on the front. Having said this, I would think the snow tire as a spare would be pretty good.

Also, I have seen good deals on used tires on ebay.  It is kind of a buyers market. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=michelin+energy+saver+as+225-50-17+used&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmichelin+energy+saver+as+225-50-17+used+93V.TRS0&_nkw=michelin+energy+saver+as+225-50-17+used+93V&_sacat=0

Edited by obob

The first time I changed tires they were 2/10 in the front and 7/10 in the rear (never rotated?) so I asked the shop that was doing the work to save one of the 7/10 tires for me, with the intention to get it mounted on a wheel.  As it turns out the shops I've asked don't really want to be bothered with doing that, I should have just had them recycle the tire.  I bought a nice plug and patch kit instead.

The first time I changed tires they were 2/10 in the front and 7/10 in the rear (never rotated?) so I asked the shop that was doing the work to save one of the 7/10 tires for me, with the intention to get it mounted on a wheel.  As it turns out the shops I've asked don't really want to be bothered with doing that, I should have just had them recycle the tire.  I bought a nice plug and patch kit instead.

Maybe they would have "recycled" them on ebay.