Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Spare Tire Solution for C-Max Hybrid.

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,327 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:17 PM

If you get a Ford donut spare, you'll be fine. Just don't go too old; the tire's rubber has limited life.

Frank

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#122 OFFLINE   AudenHoggart

AudenHoggart

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 30 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

Another option I've been considering for a trip to pretty isolated parts of Canada is to just buy a replacement tire - same size as OEM.  Maybe even a used one if I can find one.   This would, of course, require getting it mounted on the tire that had gone flat but it would be a lot lighter and easier to stash behind the front seat.

Anyone have experience with this?  Of course it assumes that whatever caused the flat didn't also damage the wheel.

As another option, I have a set of winter tires mounted on steel wheels.  I'm pretty sure they're not identical to the size of the original tires and wheels, which I swap out at the end of the winter.  Any opinions on just taking one of those as an emergency spare? 

Thanks!

#123 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 560 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:42 PM

Another option I've been considering for a trip to pretty isolated parts of Canada is to just buy a replacement tire - same size as OEM.  Maybe even a used one if I can find one.   This would, of course, require getting it mounted on the tire that had gone flat but it would be a lot lighter and easier to stash behind the front seat.

Anyone have experience with this?  Of course it assumes that whatever caused the flat didn't also damage the wheel.

As another option, I have a set of winter tires mounted on steel wheels.  I'm pretty sure they're not identical to the size of the original tires and wheels, which I swap out at the end of the winter.  Any opinions on just taking one of those as an emergency spare? 

Thanks!

I have a donut spare and it is not the exact size.  I tested it out and it pulls a bit on braking, pulls a lot on hard braking, if it is on the front.  If I had time and got a flat on the front and had a lot of driving to do, I might put the spare on the back and mount a full size on the front. But I would be OK with just driving carefully with it on the front. Having said this, I would think the snow tire as a spare would be pretty good.

Also, I have seen good deals on used tires on ebay.  It is kind of a buyers market. 

http://www.ebay.com/...ed 93V&_sacat=0

Edited by obob, 13 March 2017 - 12:44 PM.

• ptjones likes this

#124 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 176 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

The first time I changed tires they were 2/10 in the front and 7/10 in the rear (never rotated?) so I asked the shop that was doing the work to save one of the 7/10 tires for me, with the intention to get it mounted on a wheel.  As it turns out the shops I've asked don't really want to be bothered with doing that, I should have just had them recycle the tire.  I bought a nice plug and patch kit instead.

#125 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 560 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:58 PM

The first time I changed tires they were 2/10 in the front and 7/10 in the rear (never rotated?) so I asked the shop that was doing the work to save one of the 7/10 tires for me, with the intention to get it mounted on a wheel.  As it turns out the shops I've asked don't really want to be bothered with doing that, I should have just had them recycle the tire.  I bought a nice plug and patch kit instead.

Maybe they would have "recycled" them on ebay.

#126 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 122 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

I purchased a 13-16 Fusion Spare that came with the jack.  Also got a 24" spare tire cover off amazon for it.

The Jack is wrapped in cardboard and is recessed in the tire under the cover to make it easily portable.

Attached File  post-3885-0-14194600-1494808945.jpg   80.84KB   3 downloads

Attached File  post-3885-0-99679000-1494808911.jpg   81.57KB   3 downloads

#127 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 560 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

I purchased a 13-16 Fusion Spare that came with the jack.  Also got a 24" spare tire cover off amazon for it.

The Jack is wrapped in cardboard and is recessed in the tire under the cover to make it easily portable.

attachicon.gifpost-3885-0-14194600-1494808945.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-3885-0-99679000-1494808911.jpg

Punchline to save time reading: secure the spare tire for when the seats are down and a dog is in the back, or just as a good thing to do.

This reminds me of something I have been wanting to post.  I often take my dog in the car and lower the back seats to keep the seats clean and allow him to move from front to back easily. I had bought a nylon strap to secure the tire but never used it.  I was travelling without the dog but the seats were still down. A light turned yellow and I thought the guy in front was going to go through and I was going to go through also.  Well he didn't or he changed his mind.  I had a 20% score on braking.  The tire moved quickly into the back of the front seat.  If the dog was in the car things could have gone really badly.  The tire is now secured with strap.  It is a long strap and it loops around the metal loops that are exposed when the hatch door is open(toward the bottom).  The strap was less that $10 from ebay.

Edited by obob, 15 May 2017 - 11:35 PM.

• ptjones, fbov and Louder North like this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·