Update on annoying noise (no, it wasn't my imagination <3)

Adair

OK, so you know how frustrating it is to take your car to the shop for a noise or whatever and it won't do it for the technician?  :rant2:  Wellllllll I did not have that problem today. I left work early to go to the dealership to try to find out what the irritating, single sustained tone was and in the 20 minutes it took to get there, the noise happened 6 times....in reverse with no cars nearby, driving on the expressway @ 65mph, once when I tried to activate SYNC to turn down the fan. Thankfully, when I got the technician in the car with me, it kept up it's stellar performance.  He was able to duplicate it going from neutral to drive and going into a hard stop. I have to commend him, because he was committed to finding out what caused the noise. :worship:  Finally, we isolated it to the front proximity sensor, (which sounds different from the rear proximity sensor, in case you didn't know  ) He knocked some ice build-up off it and  I could hear the tone change. He's going to research it some more and I'm going to report back in a few days and keep track if it does it again and under what circumstances.

So, note to all you C-Max owners in the northern climes.........if you hear a sustained tone like this, check the sensors for icicles  :doh:

Lord, I can't wait for SPRING! :angry2:  

Yes, the front is higher pitched than the back (may be reversed, I can't remember).

In any case, there is a button behind the shifter that has a P and also says OFF, that you can turn the sounds off.

Also, I'm not sure you should be driving 65mph in reverse on the expressway.... :runaway:

Zhack, If I turn that off, will it turn off the proximity alarm completely? If so, I don't want it. I'll wait for Paul to come up with a fix, since I seem to be the only owner on the forum with this problem.

And as for the 65 in reverse on the expressway.............if you haven't tried it, don't knock it :yahoo:

There is not much to fix.

If your sensor is detecting stuff the - alarm beeper will sound. That's why they have the button to turn it off. In the demo drive we took way back in October, the demonstrator told us that they had to turn it off regularly in snow or ice.

There is not a super reliable way to tell the sensor how to differentiate between ice and a curb...

Ours will do this with leaf and tree debris. I turn off the sensors until I have a chance to wipe them off.

It will also go off when people walk by in a crosswalk or when a car pulls close to the side of us.

Zhack, If I turn that off, will it turn off the proximity alarm completely? If so, I don't want it. I'll wait for Paul to come up with a fix, since I seem to be the only owner on the forum with this problem.

And as for the 65 in reverse on the expressway.............if you haven't tried it, don't knock it :yahoo:

Yeah, after I looked in the car I realized I was wrong, its a P with a Cone.  You probably already figured that out, but just fixing the record :).

I have to turn it off sometimes when I get too close to the drive through window, you just have to remember that it's off until you reboot the car.  So don't crash into anything ;)

Found it! I couldn't see the button with the *P* in the dark from the drivers seat this morning, so I went out at lunch and sat in the passenger seat. And I found the reference in the manual about it.....under Parking Aides, not under alarms, or sensors, or any of the other things I was looking up in the index. And it does say to keep them free from ice and snow, dirt and leaves and such. So the sensor was reacting to the icicle as tho it were a pole only 1 inch away.....and staying on one sustained tone.

Also, as I was about to send an email to the technician about it, he called me to find out if I had had any more trouble with the noise since last night. How's that for good customer care?

That's awesome! So where is this button located exactly? I can just envision myself at the ATM and getting really upset.

Ok, let's see if this works. It's behind the shift, to the right. I couldn't see it from the driver's seat.

(sez I'm not permitted to upload this kind of file. But if you've downloaded the owner's manual, it's on page 221 under Parking Aids

Yeah, car washes, drive in windows at the pharmacy, you name it. But you have to get reallllllly close (or be an icicle) to make it a single sustained tone. Otherwise it's a beep........beep.

Ha...I went thru something similar to this with our Jaguar sensors. Tilt the car downward the front sensor will trigger off, time to hit the P button too. Also those sensors come in black and the dealer has to spray on the paint to the exact measurement otherwise the sensors will not work properly - so its a costly exercise, at least in the Jag world. May be Ford has a cheaper version?

Adair...need to move to somewhere warmer dear, less issues and more mileage. TX? Would not recommend CA as beautiful as it is here, too many fools, myself included  ;) 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

ahhhhh Jus, my friend..........I totally agree that I need to move somewhere warmer. I was born and raised in the South US, but have lived all over,  GA to AZ to MN to MI, and I know where my heart beats strongest....in warmer climates!

Love CA, fools and all. Our oldest daughter and son-in-law  lived in MdR and we had some wonderful visits out there. My old *boss* lives in Santa Barbara now (which is a West Coast Ann Arbor.) Have friends in SF and Ft. Bragg. But I'll probably end up in the FL Keys, or Ft. Desoto Island, or.......... :headscratch:

Edited by Adair