Stop safely now

CassidyB

The "control assembly module" has been installed,...things reprogrammed. The service manager wants to drive the car for two days to ensure the issue is resolve.. If better not have any dents/scratches when I pick it up. Saw a red C-max today at the grocery store and they were parked at the end of the parking lot.. Just like I normally do..

Laurel, no I didn't mention Cassidy's situation. I didn't want to have any influence on them coming up with a preconceived notion of what the problem was, and just wait and see what they came up with. In the meantime before we took the C-Max into the dealer we just drove a couple of short trips to the store and tried to be very very careful. :)  Waiting for an update from dealer, but have heard nothing as of today, Feb. 13th. Last communication they did say, as in Cassidy's case, that after pinpointing the bad module, replacing it, and reprogramming they would have to drive the C-Max  for a short period of time to check things out and make sure everything is up to par. My wife has said, as did Cassidy, that if they put too many miles on the C-Max or put a dent or scratch on it they will hear about it.  :rant:Will report back when more info is available.        

Edited by jld

Picked up C-Max today, Feb. 14th. After much communicating back and forth between dealer and Ford headquarters, running scans,  and 60 miles of test driving, it was concluded that "stop safely now" message was a result a defective 12V battery which was replaced in late January. Supposedly the only code that showed up on the scan was the bad battery code which was still in the history.  I mentioned the forum and that one member had the same message and it was a result of a defective modulator which resulted in a dangerous situation with high voltage being present and endangering first responders after an accident. They said that was very possible as the "stop safely now" message covers many possible electrical issues, but the scan didn't show a problem in that area with our C-Max. Guess for now I will go along with that explanation and see how things go. It does seem odd that there was a time lapse of several days between the battery problem and the "stop safely now" message. However, since I know virtually nothing about the inner workings of the C-Max I am not in a very good position to debate them on the cause of the "stop safely now" message. :cry:   At any rate, my wife is very happy to have her C-Max back. And as everyone knows, when the wifey's happy, everyones happy! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

It seems that we have found yet another CMax with the Stop Safely Now issue. It's a brand new car, just 2 months old although it was manufactured at the end of last year.

A couple of weeks ago the problem showed up and we brought it to the dealership for repairing. The car works some time after being forced to stop.. so they couldn't figure out what was the issue. They reprogrammed a bunch of things over the weekend and returned the car. It worked fine for a day, and the next day we were prompted with the same issue. Back to the dealership. This time they found a bunch of small issues. Apparently one of the electrical modules was in bad condition and they have replaced and reprogrammed. After a week at the service center, we picked up the car yesterday and today my partner has called me that she is stuck on the road with the same issue.

I'm wondering if any of you saw the problem again or if this one was fixed. How many times can they try to fix it before we call it lemon?

This is the first time I buy a new car and it's showing up to be a nightmare.

Grotuk, I'm so, so sorry that this is still plaguing you! You said that the car worked for some time after being forced to stop......how long?

I just got that message this Sunday, after starting the car in a parking lot. But I turned it off and it started immediately, and every time since. 

Mine was also built in late 2012, November 24 to be exact.

I certainly hope your dealership can get this resolved. Have you shared with them the info from other posters with the same problem? It may point them in a direction they had not thought of.

Please keep us posted, and know that we all wish you a speedy resolution!

I spoke today with the Customer Care Manager of the region (super nice guy and super apologethic about the situation). Ford Corporate is working with the dealership to figure out what's the root cause of our issue.

Apparently, they seem to have identified the battery (the big one, not the 12V one) as the defective piece and they are going to replace it. It's going to take between one and 2 weeks to get the car. I hope that this is the one...otherwise I think I'm going to try to get a replacement.

I will know more tomorrow and I will post you!

• 2 years later...

I had three times of this problem (a sign says "stops safely now") this week. first time, it stopped in front of a traffic light. second time, when i pulled off from my garage, the third time was in front of a bank. the experience was scary when stopped at mid of the road. the whole car just lost its power. you cannot turn it on and lost control. It even slides back. I did not do anything to it. after few minutes then it will come back on. but I just so afraid to drive it again. Called dealer service dept and they cannot take it in to check until more than a week later which i think it is a ridiculous response for a safety issue of a car. and it is only 14 months after i bought it.  

I had three times of this problem (a sign says "stops safely now") this week. first time, it stopped in front of a traffic light. second time, when i pulled off from my garage, the third time was in front of a bank. the experience was scary when stopped at mid of the road. the whole car just lost its power. you cannot turn it on and lost control. It even slides back. I did not do anything to it. after few minutes then it will come back on. but I just so afraid to drive it again. Called dealer service dept and they cannot take it in to check until more than a week later which i think it is a ridiculous response for a safety issue of a car. and it is only 14 months after i bought it.  

Hi Ago,

When you called your dealer, did you go ahead and schedule the appointment? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I'll check out some options.

This is a job for Ford Service!

No, not the dealer, the Ford rep on the C-Max forum, aka "fordservice." Meagan was posting yesterday... this is exactly the kind of thing they do.

Frank

Thanks for the shout, fbov! The dealer's in the best position to diagnose concerns, as I'm not a technician or hands on. :)

Meagan

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to throw in my (ongoing) experience with the "Stop Safely Now" issue with my 2013 CMAX Hybrid SEL.  I returned to my home after being out of town for about 4 days, went to start the car and was greeted with the SSN message.  No method of restarting would remove the message.  I utilized my Ford Roadside assistance and had it towed to a dealer 16 days ago.  It was after-hours, so they did not get to work on it until sometime during the next day, to which the Service Advisor called and told me that he had no idea what was happening with the vehicle, they were able to get it into the shop and then were unable to move it again.  It actually became a "priority" at the time because it was blocking the ability to get other cars into the bay!  Over the next few days, I was kept updated, but the updates were literally that "We keep clearing the error, it keeps throwing new codes at us, the codes don't even make sense!"  Ford engineers were engaged, and that kicked off 2 weeks of work.

I continued to receive updates on the work, basically figuring out what wasn't wrong with the vehicle, as nothing was coming up as the culprit.  They had to drop the main battery at one point thinking that was the issue (turns out it wasn't, at least they don't think), and I got a call stating that "everything inside your vehicle is now out, from the seats back, and we are going through it piece by piece."  That was last week.  I received a call on Monday (4 days ago) stating that they finally determined it was a module (I don't remember which one), but they had 3 to test to find out which one it was as they put the vehicle back together.  Why it was determined it must be one of these 3 modules when they had not yet been tested, I am unsure.  But, turns out it must not have been one of them, because I called yesterday (Day 15) for an update and was told that they had not identified the problem, none of those modules were faulty, the error still remains, and now they need to start tearing the car apart in the front.

To be clear, I am not upset (well, it's difficult not having my vehicle, but I do have a spare I am able to use).  I would definitely want this to be fixed and fixed right, so the time doesn't bother me much, it's just crazy they have still been unable to even know what might be wrong with it.

FYI, I bought this C-Max certified used in January of 2016, so luckily it is still under extended warranty (only ha 28,000 miles on it).  I guess it was good while it lasted.  Kind of wondering if it will ever come back, and if they never do locate a faulty module but the error goes away, I'm afraid I won't be feeling safe in this vehicle.  Anyone else ever experience a problem that they just could not figure out?

Well, that's good news!  I can see how that fault would be hard to find - no doubt intermittent and, perhaps, never seen before.  It would be interesting to know exactly what went wrong with it.

Problems like this highlight a big value of this forum - you not only learn about the more common problems but the rare ones as well.