SEL owners, check your FOB

After reading in another thread about how to get into your car if you have a dead battery, I checked our FOB's to look for the mechanical key blades that are supposed to be inside the FOB.  Ours were missing in the two that we have.  We have a SEL so you need to squeeze on each side of your FOB and the Ford insignia pops off.  Page 57 of the owner's manual shows that the SEL has type 1 FOB.

I left a phone message for our salesman saying our mechanical keys are missing.  We went out and he left a phone message saying that the key slides out at the top.  No, not true with type 1.  We drove to the dealership and they queried whether we had lost them, but then in the next breath said something to the effect this  happened before.  So it took a half hour of them fiddling around--going out to check the car in case they were in the glove box (we already had checked there).  Then they said they would order them and it would take about a week.  In the real world that likely means a month.  So my advice is that everyone should check for the mechanical keys as we are hooped if we have a dead battery without them.

Edited by Laurel

I had the keys, but didn't know where they went.  All the FOB remotes from Ford that I have had before were the other style that had the slider to get to the key.  I had just assumed that we were supposed to keep those keys around somewhere, but didn't refer to the manual to know that they fit into the FOB.

Thanks for the info and heads up!

When we picked up our SEL a month ago the mechanical keys were not in the fobs at the dealership. The keys were ordered and got to the dealer within a week. I thought that it was odd the fobs weren't checked to make sure the keys were inside. The fob is much heavier with the key inside.

Ours is the smart-key setup and if it was missing the mechanical key we would know because the mechanical key is attached to the end of the fob and when you pop it out the fob has a big hole at the end. We have a little slide/button thing that you pull to the side and then you can pull out the mechanical key.

Ours is the smart-key setup and if it was missing the mechanical key we would know because the mechanical key is attached to the end of the fob and when you pop it out the fob has a big hole at the end. We have a little slide/button thing that you pull to the side and then you can pull out the mechanical key.

Valk - You have the other type of FOB.  The Energi has the built in remote start funtion built into the FOB.  The SE and SELs do not.  I wish they would use the same remotes though.  I think the FOB that I have is a lot easier to mistakenly push buttons without knowing.

I did not get mine at delivery...didn't know about them at that time. But in the owner's manual I found info on them the next day, and called the dealer. They went to the get-ready people, but could not find them, then looked up the key numbers, had their service dept cut replacements, and mailed them to me that day. Got them next day and put them in myself. Only issue with this car purchase.

Mine were ordered and took a few weeks. I received a call to pick up my mechanical keys which was news to me. The salesman inserted it and said it was his first time doing so. To tell the truth, I haven't even checked how to open the FOB. Hope I don't need to.

Don't worry the directions are in the manual. You can look in there if you ever get locked out.

I think it would be a good idea to test the key blades to make sure they work - especially if they were cut at the dealer.  In addition, I wonder if it would be a good idea to use the key blade every few months to make sure it still works and maybe lubricate the lock cylinders too.  Or maybe since they are very rarely used the lock cylinders will remain as good as new for the life of the vehicle.  I would hate to be unable to unlock with the key blade if I ever need to.

Edited by DaveofDurham

• 2 weeks later...
After reading in another thread about how to get into your car if you have a dead battery, I checked our FOB's to look for the mechanical key blades that are supposed to be inside the FOB.  Ours were missing in the two that we have.  We have a SEL so you need to squeeze on each side of your FOB and the Ford insignia pops off.  Page 57 of the owner's manual shows that the SEL has type 1 FOB.

I left a phone message for our salesman saying our mechanical keys are missing.  We went out and he left a phone message saying that the key slides out at the top.  No, not true with type 1.  We drove to the dealership and they queried whether we had lost them, but then in the next breath said something to the effect this  happened before.  So it took a half hour of them fiddling around--going out to check the car in case they were in the glove box (we already had checked there).  Then they said they would order them and it would take about a week.  In the real world that likely means a month.  So my advice is that everyone should check for the mechanical keys as we are hooped if we have a dead battery without them.

Thanks for the "heads up", I had to go look!  I guess I was lucky, it was there!

Thanks again!

Mine were there and I also ended up ordering a third FOB/precut key as a spare.  By the way, your precut keycode was on a  small rectangular sticker in your pack of paperwork, that looks like a UPC code with a 5 digit number written on it.  If you don't have that keycode, you have to have the dealer look it up on their system for your VIN and you must provide proof of ownership (ID and registration type thing, so they can make sure you are who you say you are).

• 2 months later...

Mine were there and I also ended up ordering a third FOB/precut key as a spare.  By the way, your precut keycode was on a  small rectangular sticker in your pack of paperwork, that looks like a UPC code with a 5 digit number written on it.  If you don't have that keycode, you have to have the dealer look it up on their system for your VIN and you must provide proof of ownership (ID and registration type thing, so they can make sure you are who you say you are).

JT, About how much was the extra?  Did you just give them the 5 digit number?  (We didn't get the barcode, but when we asked they gave us a number.)

• 1 month later...

Hi all, Just discovered this forum, and reading this FOB info. checked and neither of the two FOBs that came with our C have anything inside the FOB. (we will one call the selling dealer and have two ordered!) We also cannot figure out .... Where does one insert the blank mechanical key? (all we see looks like a square space on door handle, we assume was the signal receiver for the Fob.). Can someone explain where to insert a mechanical key when we get one? Thanks!

also, will now go look for the UPC/ like card with a "key code number" -- don't recall seeing that info before reading this thread. thanks.

We had no keys in our FOB's and it took someone on the forum to mention to check it out for us to notice too.  I think there is a wee slot under the door handle that the key fits into.  Without the keys if the car won't start you can't get inside.  Our dealership seemed surprised and in denial at first, but they got the keys ordered fairly quickly. I think they just used our VIN to put in the order.

It's online, so you could pull it off the interwebs on your smartphone. 

I have mine stored as a PDF in my iBook app on my phone so no download needed.  NICE!

My metal keys were in a plastic baggy in the glovebox.  Ideally they should be in a folder inside the dealership along with the nav chip, owners manual, other fob, etc.