No Panic Alarm !

I just realized that there's no panic alarm button on my Type 1 Intelligent Access Key.  I guess I assumed that some combination of button presses would activate the alarm.  Is this really the case (no panic alarm)?  Surely not.

But if so, can I buy a Type 2 key and have it work with my plain-vanilla SEL?

Edited by Bill-N

WELL HOW ABOUT THAT :yahoo:

I hadn't even noticed it was missing.

That has been the #1 thing :rant2: (GRIP) :rant2: I've had for yrs.

EVER TIME I'm working on a motorcycle or anything else in the garage I set that POS alarm off!

Thank you so much :worship: , I'm on my way to the garage right now to enjoy a little peace and quiet while rebuilding some carburetors.

wab

Page 60 of the manual:

Car Finder

Press the lock button on the key twice within three seconds. The horn will chirp and the turn signals will flash. It is recommended that this method be used to locate your vehicle, rather than using the panic alarm.

Thanks,  I missed that.  

Page 60 of the manual:

Car Finder

Press the lock button on the key twice within three seconds. The horn will chirp and the turn signals will flash. It is recommended that this method be used to locate your vehicle, rather than using the panic alarm.

The bi-directional remote start has a similar feature in that it honks the horn 4-times. It's called progressive scan. This is a little better in that the bi-directional remote start fob has a greater range than the car fob to lock/unlock the doors.

It says use this rather than the panic alarm, so does that mean there IS a panic alarm?
According to the manual, the Integrated Keyhead Transmitters (the key for the SE) has the panic.

The Type 1 Intelligent Access Key (the key for the SEL) does not.

The Type 2 Intelligent Access Key (the key for the Energi) has the panic.

Edited by zhackwyatt

• 2 months later...

I just realized that there's no panic alarm button on my Type 1 Intelligent Access Key.  I guess I assumed that some combination of button presses would activate the alarm.  Is this really the case (no panic alarm)?  Surely not.

But if so, can I buy a Type 2 key and have it work with my plain-vanilla SEL?

Since there are many new members, I thought i'd ask again: does anyone know if the Type 2 key can be used to gain panic alarm functionality?

• 3 weeks later...

I liked the panic alarm when I am trying to find my car in big parking lot decks.  Now I will just wander around hoping I will find it again.    

:sos:  I lost my car

Maybe if there was a gps app that would track the car on my phone???????????? :drool:

MyFordMobile shows the state and location of the car on your phone or computer.  Works great.  Can also start, lock, unlock car, and sends a txt message if car alarm sounds.

• 1 year later...

I have the type 2 FOB which has a panic button on my Hybrid SEL, so the type 2 remote is not exclusive to the Energi.  I do have the remote start option which came with my car, but guessing it is probably not a very popular option.

I don't see why a type 2 wouldn't work in a regular hybrid, but aren't they really expensive? (my dealer told me they were $500 to replace) 

Edited by Adrian_L

I have the type 2 FOB which has a panic button on my Hybrid SEL, so the type 2 remote is not exclusive to the Energi.  I do have the remote start option which came with my car, but guessing it is probably not a very popular option.

I don't see why a type 2 wouldn't work in a regular hybrid, but aren't they really expensive? (my dealer told me they were $500 to replace) 

Thanks for your input.  I'll check on the price; $500 seems a bit steep.

Ya, when you consider what a cell phone is.  Even the best retail without subsidy for <700.  And they communicate much further on many bands, have wifi, not to mention a processor and screen....

Remotes that can control TV, BluRay, cable box, stereo are much less than that.  Shoot, my cell phone also can control all my entertainment devices.  We need an app for the cell phones that can be coded for our cars.

• 2 months later...

I want to buy a spare Type-2 Intelligent Access Key (aka FOB) for my plain-vanilla SEL.  On your car, does the panic button work?

As to the $500, the dealer probably thought you were asking about the remote start system.