Engineering Test Mode

cgul

Sample from our SEL with 796 miles on odometer.

DTC             Hist     Curr

153401          x

F00316          x

DTE     INST     DISP

MI         443       418

RAFE     5.2 L/KM, 44.9 MPG, 19.1 KM/L

COOLANT    12  C

BAT    14.5 V

LAST CHIME   8

DIM STEP 20        DIM GAUGE  3538,    DIM POINTER  3117,     DIM PRNDL  3538,         DIM DISPLAY    3137

PDS:  1,     LHS:  0,    RHS:  0

MAN DATE:  120101

Maybe someone can put out a thread explaining some of these elements.  Curious about my HIST (historical) DTC codes mean; also the DTEs and MAN DATE.

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, will go try it.

Edit: Good data.  I didn't drive the car but I assume the display remains there while driving.  For those that want to know coolant temperature, It's there, battery voltage, several FE numbers, rpm and so forth.  

It's too bad the test screen doesn't come up on the right display so you can use the left display while driving.

True coolant temperature is vital for diagnosing the health of the thermostat and cooling system.  Most cars today, even with "temperature gauges" display false readings generated by the car computer - anything close to normal and the needle pegs itself in the middle.  Is the thermostat not closing fully, causing a slower than normal warm up?  That is the usual failure mode for the part.  Can't wait for delivery so I can "try" this stuff.  

• 4 weeks later...

RAFE is Recent Avg Fuel Economy

I'm not sure how long "recent" is, but it seems to be many hours of operation. A 2+ hr non-stop drive is not enough to make the RAFE read the same as what that trip was. But a full tank of gas is longer than what the RAFE reads as the RAFE doesn't match your tank FE when empty.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a link to Ford OBDII trouble codes.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/

wab

Couldn't wait to try this when I got Slug back from the dealer today.  The codes that showed in the Engineering Test Mode are not the typical OBDII codes.  I've had no luck searching for them on google either.  Here is a sampling of the DTC codes in history, eleven codes in all:

C14600

C1582

C42481

C45A82

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Torque will show you most (all I think) of what's in engineering mode, and is free for android, not sure about iphone. You will need a bluetooth OBD which plugs in easily under the dash just to the left of the steering wheel, Amazon.com = $9 

Edited by MacGyver