Painted Wheels and Caliper Covers

mtb9153

Just wanted to share a wheel modification I did to my factory wheels.  I painted them with gloss black Plasti-Dip spray paint and MGP Red Powder coated Caliper Covers.  These two modifications I greatly enhances the curb appeal of my Platinum White SEL.  Gives it a stealthy look with the black trim along the bottom of the bumpers and doors.

The thing that is really neat about using Plasti-Dip is you do not have to sand or rough up the finish of your wheels like when using virtually any other brand paint.  Only have to clean the wheels very well and remove all brake dust, road grime, grease.  Also dry off the wheels with a micro fiber cloth to not leave any fibers.  I then blew compressed air on the wheels using my Craftsman compressor for added measure.

Once you are ready to paint you don't have to mask off the tire surface where the wheel meets the rubber, just make sure you have a good coating of tire gloss on the rubber and the Plasti-Dip will pull right off when you are finished painting.  Works like a charm.  Once you are done with all 4 tires if you don't like the way it looks. Simply with your finger dig into the rubberized paint and start pulling it off.  If you put on at least 4 coats it will pull off in one continuous piece.  Because did you not sand your wheels finish you are right back where you were before you painted.  This is the best part of Plasti-Dip you can change your wheel color to suit your mood.  I bought a gloss black wheel kit from www.dipyourcar.com, price was about $50 and you get 4 cans of black Plasti-Dip plus 3 cans of Glossifier to leave a glossy finsh as your last step.  If you prefer a nice satin black finish then don't buy the gloss kit, just get the black Plasti-Dip and it will leave a nice satin appearance.

I replaced my factory lug nuts with longer racing style nuts which are coated with red anodize.  These look much better than the cheap acorn-style nuts Ford supplied.  There are listed at numerous places on the internet with a 12x1.5mm thread and 60degree taper which seats perfectly to the factory wheels.

Lastly I bouight a set of red MGP Caliper Covers (www.calipercovers.com).  Just select a 2012 Ford Focus cover and the color you want, also if you want the Ford logo engraved into the front of the cover.  Or you can opt to have a custom design if you want at extra cost.  These are a really nice dress-up item over the ugly factory caliper and if you paint your wheels it makes the caliper stand out like Porsche or Corvette have.  The covers are retained to the caliper using stainless steel clips and hardware provided from MGP.  Once you remove each wheel the cover just lays flush against the front of the caliper and slip on the mounting clips from either end and tighen the star washer and hex nut using a 5/16" box wrench.  Put the wheel back on and rotate to cherck for clearance.

Now here is where I ran into trouble, no matter how I adjusted the cover on the front tires they would not clear the back edge of the factory wheel.  I notified MGP and told them there was a clearance issue.  They did some checking in the field for fitment at a Ford Deaslership somewhere in SoCal and found that the back inside edge of the C-Max wheel is closer to the caliper than on the Focus.  So they had to retool the front cover design on their milling process which compensates for this clearance issue.  They are sending me new covers via UPS today.

So if you order be sure to tell them you are putting them on a C-Max and you will get the right product and avoid my headache.  The rear covers clear fine.

There seems to be no problem with using these with the regenative braking system and no over heating issues.  If anything they keep the calipers cooler according to the manufacturer.  Break dust seems to be kept to a minimum, much better with thsee covers.  I noticed very little build up on my black paint.

So there you have my wheel mods, a rather long thread I know but I think you will like the look all these items bring to your baby.  I will be bringing my C-Max to the Gathering Event this summer from California.  Feel free to check it out in person if you are there.

I can't attach the pics I took because they are too big for this forum and I don't know how to reduce them sorry.

Enjoy your ride...

If you have a PC, not a MAC you should have a program called "Paint."

find your picture

right mouse click on the picture.

use "Open with" to pick "Paint"

click "Resize"

click "Pixels"

change the horizontal value to "640"

click "ok"

click the drop down box

click "save as"

give the new picture a new name!

Should be ready to attach

good luck and looking foward to the pictures

wab

post-554-0-93342300-1361328695_thumb.jpg

Its a great idea. I've seen the White Platinum with the black wheels - it was done by GAS (Galpin Auto Sport)...I thought I had a photo of it but I guess not...but its not plasti-dip and the real stuff.

I find the color match OK but it reminds me of a street racer styling, which is cool for some but I like my wheels traditional alloy color. White with black wheels seems to be the hot trend.

Post up the pic OP  ;) 

If you have a PC, not a MAC you should have a program called "Paint."

find your picture

right mouse click on the picture.

use "Open with" to pick "Paint"

click "Resize"

click "Pixels"

change the horizontal value to "640"

click "ok"

click the drop down box

click "save as"

give the new picture a new name!

Should be ready to attach

good luck and looking foward to the pictures

wab

Ok I've found a way to resize the pictures of my painted wheels and caliper covers.  What size should I make it? Thanks

Edited by mtb9153

• 2 weeks later...

MTB, the rims look great, I had not seen the gloss plasti-dip but will have to keep it in mind if I have a similar project.  I am really happy with the stock rims on my blue cmax, but the black rims with the white paint looks great (oops I think I mentioned that already). 

I also plasti-dipped the rims on a buddy's car recently, was pretty easy though time consuming due to the prep but they also turned out really well.  I posted a little how-to on my blog about it.  I even touched some scratches up recently and I can't tell where the repairs were, the stuff is pretty awesome.

Edited by CNCGeek

MTB, the rims look great, I had not seen the gloss plasti-dip but will have to keep it in mind if I have a similar project.  I am really happy with the stock rims on my blue cmax, but the black rims with the white paint looks great (oops I think I mentioned that already). 

I also plasti-dipped the rims on a buddy's car recently, was pretty easy though time consuming due to the prep but they also turned out really well.  I posted a little how-to on my blog about it.  I even touched some scratches up recently and I can't tell where the repairs were, the stuff is pretty awesome.

Yes it is pretty cool stuff, I had to do some touch ups after having issues with paint getting on the tapered surface where the lug nuts seat to the wheels.  The nut as it was tighten caught the dip and pulled it off so it peeled back enough around the lug nut that the stock wheel color was exposed.  So I had to repaint those areas.  Only trick was getting it thick enough to blend in around the undamaged painted edges.  But as you say after it was done and I drove it a few days, I can hardly find the retouched areas.  The thing I really like about Plasti-dip is there's no need to scratch up the factory finish.  Only requirement is that the surface be clean and dry before applying the dip.  Don't like it anymore or want to change colors?  Peel it off and good as new again.  Great Product but noxious paint fumes, apply with good ventilation.

I just ordered a set of red caliper covers from MGP Caliper Covers (www.calipercovers.com).  Please note that their website is in the process of a major update and they do not list any 2013 Ford vehicles.  However, if you call them, there is now a part # 10225 for the C-Max hybrids that they can ship you and no modification is required.  Looked too cool to pass up and the installation appears to be a snap based on the videos they have posted on the website.

I will repost with pics once the process is completed.

Thanks for the idea and link to a source.

Gary

I am doing the plasti-dipped wheels in glass black, as well.  I will posting my own thread, tho, because I am dipping more than just wheels.  Lookin' good MTB :drool:

Great will love to see your pics after you are finished.  I also dipped the Hybrid logo's on the front doors, along with the laser cut custom acrylic C-Max logo's I had done by a local plastic shop.  They look just like factory logo on the tailgate or on both front doors on an Energi.  I wanted my non plug-in SEL to look just like an Energi and confuse other owners.

Might as well slap some "Turbo" and "Supercharged" stickers on there while you're at it.  And get a personalized tag that says "FAKENRG". :drop:

Excuuuuusssse Meeeeee! each person has their own preference's for what looks good to them.  Guess I'll stay out of Virginia in the future. Sorry Rachel this one got to me.