Front seat height

hybridbear

How high are the seats off the ground?

My parents, however, are shopping for a new car and have almost ideal circumstances for a PHEV. They rarely drive more than 20 miles in a day, and if they do it would be only maybe 30 miles in a typical day. They also don't do many long trips. I've recommended they look at a C-Max Energi. I figure that they could save close to $1000 per year in gas compared to their current Nissan Murano and other crossovers they're looking at and that the Energi would pay for the premium over the C-Max Hybrid in less than 3 years.

Since they're both retired and dealing with aching joints they are concerned about the seats being too low to the ground where the C-Max would be too difficult to get in and out of. What do those of you that have C-Maxes think? If they were to put the driver's seat up as high as it goes would it be too low for my almost 70 year old parents?

Thanks.

How high are the seats off the ground?

My parents, however, are shopping for a new car and have almost ideal circumstances for a PHEV. They rarely drive more than 20 miles in a day, and if they do it would be only maybe 30 miles in a typical day. They also don't do many long trips. I've recommended they look at a C-Max Energi. I figure that they could save close to $1000 per year in gas compared to their current Nissan Murano and other crossovers they're looking at and that the Energi would pay for the premium over the C-Max Hybrid in less than 3 years.

Since they're both retired and dealing with aching joints they are concerned about the seats being too low to the ground where the C-Max would be too difficult to get in and out of. What do those of you that have C-Maxes think? If they were to put the driver's seat up as high as it goes would it be too low for my almost 70 year old parents?

Thanks.

Hi HybridBear,

This was exactly my concern when my daughter mentioned the C-Max to me. I was driving a Jeep Liberty and was afraid that the C-Max would sit too low. I figured the Escape would be more to my liking, but because I respect my daughter's opinion, I drove the C-Max...........and LOVED it from the first! I slipped in to the drivers seat easily, not falling into it like my mother's Buick. And getting out was easy, not climbing out. To be fair, I drove the 2013 Escape next and then was convinced that the C-Max was the car for me.

I have the hybrid, and I'm saving nearly $200/month in gas! I mostly drive to and from work (20 miles each way) with weekend errands and occasional short road trips.

Nice of you to research this for your folks!

I have my seats up to just about the top of their travel and they are somewhere between 24-26" off the ground-- tough to be more accurate because I was using a soft tape measure.  Anyway, the seating position is MUCH higher than my old 2006 Focus hatch, much more like my 95 Explorer.

The seats in the C-Max won't go as high as the seats in the Murano.  They need to try the seating out side by side with their Murano.  Coming from my Jetta, it's significantly easier getting in /out of the C-Max than the Jetta.   One of my criteria in a new vehicle was seating comfort including getting in / out of vehicles as I'm not getting any younger.  I almost needed someone to pry me out of my Jetta after say 3-4 hours in the car.

I have a Nissan Rogue (slightly smaller all around than the Murano including height) and a crude measurement shows the maximum C-Max seat height (around 25") to be about 2-3 inches lower than the maximum Rouge seat height.  It is noticeable when both are at their max height when getting into the vehicles. So, if your parents have the Murano seat height maxed out they might find it more difficult getting in / out of the C-Max.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

One of the big reasons I gravitated to the C-Max was because of the seat height and not whacking my head getting in and out of it.  My elderly neighbours love riding with me because of the ease of getting in and out and the higher seats.  You can't find a car out there that compares with the great seat height and head clearance--I shopped and shopped until I came to the C-Max.

Ease of getting in and out was a BIG factor for me because of my wife's arthritis.  The other recent cars were a 2003 Crown Victoria and a 1998 Grand Cherokee.  C-Max seat height is about half way between the two, i.e. higher than the Crown Vic and lower than the Jeep.  My wife finds getting in and out easier than either of the other cars.

Clearly, the best suggestion is to simply try a C-Max.

ease of getting in and out of the car was important to me.  our last car was a 1985(!) olds and i would have to almost fall into it and crawl out, hitting my head on the doorjamb both ways.  i'm 5'4" and just kind of slip in and out of this car with no struggle and no head hitting.  i love this car!!  it's so easy and so much fun to drive.  i would recommend it to anyone, and this in spite of the fact that we've had 2 dead battery issues.  waiting for that software update!

My wife and I are in our early 70s.  We bought a C-Max SE in part because we wanted a car that will accommodate us as we age further.  We believe the C-Max does this.  It is easy to get into and out of, the front seats are very comfortable, and we enjoy driving it.  We like the "station wagon" design for ease of loading/unloading.  

Did not feel comfortable with no real spare tire so bought a tire mounted on a wheel, jack, and lug wrench.

Driver seat all the way down 24" measured at the front edge with a level.

Driver seat all the way up 26" measured at the front edge with a level.

Both measurements taken in the middle of the forward back movement.

With the tilt telescoping steering wheel and the seat the all the way up (26") probably not too usable for anyone over 5'11".

The passenger seat is not height adjustable, maybe when/if a Titanium C-Max is offered.

Passenger seat middle of the forward back movement 24.5".

My wife has Rheumatoid Arthritis. A few yrs ago I convinced her she needed to try a small SUV/Crossover.

Our BMW X3 was just about right, little or No entry OR exit problems.

Traded the X3 for a MKX it to was just about right, a little higher than the X3.

Traded the MKX for the C-Max, she says it's easier than the MKX to get IN and OUT of.

Their  Murano may be a little higher than the C-Max, like my wife they may find the slightly lower C-Max easier to enter and exit.

When you get them to take a test drive MAKE SURE it's in a SEL.

wab

Edited by wab

I have a lot of damage in my hips and pelvic area.  This makes getting in and out of cars very difficult.  I loved my Escape seat because it was high enough off the ground that I could just slide in and out of the car (I have short legs) easily because the seat was the same height as my butt.  :)  The C-Max is lower.  I do have to exert a bit more energy to get out of the car.  But, getting in is easy.  I was driving a Fusion for a short while, I would have to fall into the seat and then pull myself out.  So, the C-Max is much better.  

A lot of this has to do with how high you place the seat while driving.  Because I'm short, I can't place the seat as high as I want - my legs don't reach the pedals comfortably.  

Now, if you get the SEL, then  you can program the seats to go to the placement you want.  This might be a good idea.

Maybe "program" is the wrong word.  IMO, you do have more control with the electric seat controls in the SEL, as opposed to the manual controls in the SE, but the seat doesn't "memorize" a position for a particular driver.  (That's what I think of when I hear the word "program").

Among other considerations, the seat height was an important one in my decision to get this car.  I'm used to the higher seats like those in my previous SUV, and the height of the CMAX seats make it easy to enter/exit the car.

Hmmm...I could have sworn I saw that option in the car I test drove (three seat settings).  But, since the Escape has been in the shop since Thanksgiving, I could have myself confused with one of the many rentals I was driving.  I do remember that in the Flex I was driving (hated it), I could do that.  I may be thinking about the SEL Escape they put me in.

Thanks everyone for your excellent feedback. I'm going to visit them tomorrow and I will measure how high they have the Murano seat off to ground to compare with the C-Max at about 24-26 inches. At this point they're wary of the C-Max being too low so by getting the actual numbers from you guys I'll be able to tell them just what the difference would be. Plus my dad and I are going to the Minneapolis Auto Show in a few weeks which will give him the chance to sit in a C-Max there and see what it's like.

Hmmm...I could have sworn I saw that option in the car I test drove (three seat settings).  But, since the Escape has been in the shop since Thanksgiving, I could have myself confused with one of the many rentals I was driving.  I do remember that in the Flex I was driving (hated it), I could do that.  I may be thinking about the SEL Escape they put me in.

ASB, I have 3 settings: moving forward/backward, back of seat reclining, and the lumbar button.

• 1 month later...

Update on this: the C-Max seats are 1-2 inches lower than their Murano on each side. They went and test drove a C-Max Energi yesterday briefly. They had a pushy salesperson who wanted them to just do an around the block type of drive and they weren't able to fully get comfortable in the car. I'm going to go with them tomorrow to drive the same Energi and I'll be able to help them more than any salesman will to understand the car and see if it will work for them.

The one concern they had after riding in it is that it is too low. My mom is 5'11 and my dad 5'10 so that makes their circumstances different than other owners who are shorter and find the C-Max to be plenty high.

I really hope they find it to be comfortable though. We love our Fusion Hybrid and I really think the Energi is a great choice for them. The Energi will pay for itself in about 2 years due to lower costs for electricity than gas and the savings will be huge compared to their 15 MPG Nissan Murano

Their concern isn't headroom, it's that the seats aren't high enough. For someone who is 5'4 the C-Max seats seem a lot higher that they would to someone who is 5'11. The concern my parents have is that with their age and being taller that the C-Max is too low to the ground. I'm looking for some information about what other owners have found to either belie their worry or to confirm it.

I'm 6'1", and I'm perfectly comfortable in my C-Max!

VR

I'm 6' and have 3 to 4 inch clearance with the seat set to its highest setting.

I don't know if this will help, but I owned a 2004 Murano for the past 9.5 years.  In fact, I just sold it today, and I'll be in a rental for the next 6 to 8 weeks, awaiting my C-MAX delivery.  But, I digress . . .

I would say that the bottom of the Murano seats are a bit higher than in the C-MAX.  For me--I'm barely 5'9"--my issue was that I had to raise the Murano seat height up high for both comfort and visibility.  This would require me to duck into the seat in order not to hit my head on the roof.  No such problem in the C-MAX.

Did they try adjusting the seat base up higher in the C-MAX?  I don't recall having to sit especially down low to get into the C-MAX,