For those who have had 12v Battery problems

zhackwyatt

Only if you have had 12v Battery Problems...  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What package do you have?

2. 2. What month was your car born?

3. 3. What was the resolution (final fix)?

• Replaced 12v Battery
    • Tailgate problems
    • Replaced frayed wires
    • Replaced module in car (i.e. power drain)
    • Melted fuse box
    • Don't know yet...
    • Instrument Panel Replaced
    • Replaced Car
    • Software update

If the CSP notice fixes any of these it's likely to just be some things that don't turn off properly (since that is what the CSP mostly "fixes").

I do have to admit it's somewhat unsettling to get out of the car, close the door, and still hear things running (even if they do shut off a minute or two later).  And that's only the things I can hear -- who knows what else could actually be "on"?

I do have to admit it's somewhat unsettling to get out of the car, close the door, and still hear things running (even if they do shut off a minute or two later).

Prius' do the same thing (we've had three over the years, still have one of them). We just refer to it as 'the car sitting in the driveway talking to itself'. It must be a hybrid thing to do.

you could view your factory window sticker. 

I don't know if there is one on this website, but I've used the one located here.  http://www.fordf150.net/misc/window-sticker.php

Just enter your vin to see your window sticker.  The trim package should show up there.

That is cool.  It even has updated mpg numbers.

Edited by obob

• 3 months later...

Our C-Max SEL is three years old (30,000 miles) and has been without any problems.  We LOVE the car.  Yesterday we get in it and it is dead. Nothing!  Called and got a jump start and it has been fine since.  It drives me crazy not knowing why this happened or that there is no way (that I know of) to find out about the health of the 12 volt battery.  Anybody else having this issue?  Thanks.

Our C-Max SEL is three years old (30,000 miles) and has been without any problems.  We LOVE the car.  Yesterday we get in it and it is dead. Nothing!  Called and got a jump start and it has been fine since.  It drives me crazy not knowing why this happened or that there is no way (that I know of) to find out about the health of the 12 volt battery.  Anybody else having this issue?  Thanks.

After 3 years, it could just be the age of the battery. It is likely worth having the battery tested, it could be close to being time to replace it. 

My 12 V battery failed at 30 month.  One afternoon after driving in the morning, the car wouldn't start.  I hooked up my battery charger.  It would charge up fine but within a few hours, the voltage would fall to about 12 V. If left overnight, the car would not start the next morning.  So, I went to the dealer for testing and the battery wouldn't hold a charge.  Problem is I had about 48 k miles on the car at the time.  So, since the 3/36 B2B had expired, I ended up paying about $140 at the dealer.

If you are at 36 months, 30k miles, I'd get to the dealer quickly in case the battery is bad to save a $140 bill. 

My 12 V battery failed at 30 month.  One afternoon after driving in the morning, the car wouldn't start.  I hooked up my battery charger.  It would charge up fine but within a few hours, the voltage would fall to about 12 V. If left overnight, the car would not start the next morning.  So, I went to the dealer for testing and the battery wouldn't hold a charge.  Problem is I had about 48 k miles on the car at the time.  So, since the 3/36 B2B had expired, I ended up paying about $140 at the dealer.

If you are at 36 months, 30k miles, I'd get to the dealer quickly in case the battery is bad to save a $140 bill. 

Is the battery prorated? I don't remember. :)

Paul

Is the battery prorated? I don't remember. :)

Paul

The original battery is not prorated but covered in full under the factory 3/36 B2B limited new car warranty.  If the battery were replaced under warranty at the expense of Ford / Dealer, the battery would be covered for the greater of 12 months / 12 k miles or the remainder of the new car warranty. I don't believe there is any additional prorated warranty beyond the 12/12.

Since I paid for the replacement battery, IIRC it is covered  for 36 months full replacement and 100 months prorated.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Hi GBJerry,

Have you had a chance to visit your dealer to have the battery tested? Once you have an appointment set up, please let me know. I'll look into this further.

Meagan

5th time 12V battery got discharged and had to be jumpstarted on 10/09/2015.  And here is a bit of 12V battery failures:

3rd 03/17/2014

4th 02/23/2015

5th 10/09/2015 (light rain in the morning. Clock stayed at 05:20AM after jumpstarted at 07:15AM.  Only if I started the car at 05:00AM, it would not happened :) .  But that Friday night, there was very heavy rain and the car started up normally in the morning around 9:00AM.  ???????????? What ????????????? )

After the 4th 12V battery failure, on 05/06/2015 to 05/07/2015 at dealership service department, the following was done to the CMAX:

Short summary of the receipt:

-Customer complained: No crank/no start.

-TSP 13-06-28 applied.

-Could not duplicated hi-revving since the weather condition below freezing temp is needed.

-Oil changed.

-Multipoint inspections.

-Extended Warranty deductible paid.

-Reprogram BCM.

The TSP 13-06-28 was applied to the car, but the car is not "Intelligent Access Remote Start feature Equipped Vehicles" although the car "built before 4/2/2013".

There was newer TSP out there at that time the TSP 13-06-28 was applied.  And there is CSP 15B04 which probably fix the 12V battery keep randomly gotten discharging and cannot start up the car.

I am guessing this replaced 12V battery is dying now or has been dying since the discharging and non-charging keep happening.  Whether or not my car 12V battery had been replaced back 2013, I am not sure since the date stamp on the battery sticker is 2011 although the service receipt said it was replaced back in 2013.

Today, I made an appointment for Monday 12/21/2015 as another oil change coming up.  While speaking with the service advisor, he said there is a recall about the 12V battery failure (I think it is CSP 15B04), so basically whatever the dealership doing to the CMAX for 2 days (05/06 and 05/07) trying to fix the 12V battery failure based on instruction by the Ford engineer IS USELESS.  Also, the rear bigger chair could not be folded anymore (whatever the dealership was trying to diagnose the car, it made the chair not fold down anymore), and I just found that out on last Friday while I was stumbling around getting the jumpstarter in the powered-down-locked cargo area (nice design, it needs a manual hatch door level).

The above is a little info for anyone having similar problems with the 12V battery failures.. . .  .

...Today, I made an appointment for Monday 12/21/2015 as another oil change coming up.  While speaking with the service advisor, he said there is a recall about the 12V battery failure (I think it is CSP 15B04), so basically whatever the dealership doing to the CMAX for 2 days (05/06 and 05/07) trying to fix the 12V battery failure based on instruction by the Ford engineer IS USELESS.  Also, the rear bigger chair could not be folded anymore (whatever the dealership was trying to diagnose the car, it made the chair not fold down anymore), and I just found that out on last Friday while I was stumbling around getting the jumpstarter in the powered-down-locked cargo area (nice design, it needs a manual hatch door level).

The above is a little info for anyone having similar problems with the 12V battery failures.. . .  .

When it gets closer to your appointment, please let me know. Keep me in the loop in the meantime as well. What's your mileage?

Meagan

maxanotcar

"and I just found that out on last Friday while I was stumbling around getting the jumpstarter in the powered-down-locked cargo area"

Will your 12v jump fit in the storage compartment under the rear seat floor mat?

FYI there are 12v jump connections under the hood. 

My 12V portable jumpstarter (with air inflator) dimensions are a bigger than the storage compartment under rear seat floor mat.

I saw, at Homedepot, the 12V portable Li-ion jumpstarter, and it was much smaller and much less heavier, but it costs about $80.  I might get that one when my 8-years old 12V lead-acid portable jumpstarter does not work anymore.

And yes, the 12V jump connections are under the hood.  The negative pole is very close, and nearly underneath, to the other electrical wirings OR the other electrical wirings is too close and nearly on top and cover the pole.  And that make the big spring clamps, that come with the portable jumpstarter (or any regular jumper cables), have a difficult time to attach to when jumpstarting.

May be when the wireless-electrical-charging devices come to the market, I can just point that to the no-power-locked car and it unlocks the relay from the big HV battery to charge the 12V battery and run the car. :)

• 2 months later...

So I just deleted my poll vote and re-voted to reflect that after 9 months without any additional incidents, I do believe that the software update and wiring inspections performed on our car in March 2015 were indeed the 'cure' for our C-MAX 12-volt battery issue. Prior to that, we had 3 incidents of a dead-battery-overnight in the first 12 months of ownership.

We have yet to have the latest customer satisfaction program CSP 15B04 applied.

When you only need one oil change per year, and aren't having any issues, it's easy to postpone.

For the record, we have 2013 C-MAX Hybrid SE with Equipment Group 201A, born April, 2013, purchased new in March 2014. Current mileage is 8740.

2013 Cmax went to dealer for oil change and recalls last week at 30k miles.  Battery was "ok".  They did the wiring repair.

Some suggestions for compact LiOn jumper battery.  These may fit in the small compartment in the Cmax rear footwell; the previous gen Stanley SimpleStart does.

This house brand is  $30 ($10 off) at some Walmarts:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Everstart-Multi-Funciton-Jump-Starter/46528407

User review says it delivers enough current to start a car with a totally dead battery.   Good reviews.

This Black and Decker is same as the current Stanley SimpleStart, but is currently much cheaper ($32 as of today) at Amazon.  I believe it is designed to bring up the charge of a dead battery in 10 to 30 minutes, but not to be able to start the engine by itself.  That should be fine for the Cmax, which doesn't use the 12V battery to start the engine, but if you have multiple cars the Everstart might be better.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ITIV4A/