Opti-Coat, any one try yet?

I have never tried, but I am scheduled to have it applied next week at a detail shop. I have only checked it out online - It looks good.  I am just trying to get off to a good start; and am too lazy to get into waxing routines several times a year.  I saw one video showing half a car done with Opti-Coat after one year.  Expensive, but like an expensive hybrid, I'm looking for it to 'payback' over time (no waxing).  Durability is unknown, but 3,4,5 years would be break even for me - self applied far sooner.  Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

So is this a do it once and never need anything else for the life of the car product?  Are there maintenance applications needed annually?  I had bought a paint treatment (The Protector) deal from a dealer (not my C Max) and the fine print was I had to apply a "refresher" coat every 6 months that they supplied in order to maintain the warranty.   I ended up essentially waxing my car every 6 months anyway.  

Is this the product you are referring to?

Edited by Chinto

Yes I think that is the one.  Here are a couple more links.  I have not heard anything about "maintenance applications" or the like.  (BTW, I will not be buying the warranty, just the product expertly applied.)

http://www.opti-coat.com/

http://opti-coat.net/

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html

& one more:  http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/product-review-optimum-opti-coat-2-0/

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

• 2 weeks later...

You really can't get much better than Opti-coat.  I've been detailing cars for decades, and you really can't get much better than this product.  The only thing better is getting another layer of clear coat on the vehicle.  You can do it your self for 70 bucks, and it's not that hard. 

Thanks for a reply Hatchman.  So far I am very pleased with the results.  It seems to be really smooth (soft/slick to the touch), nice shine, and magnificent water beading.  I had a seagull smoosh that came off extra easy the other day.  Looking forward to simple washing for maintenance - no waxing.

To top it off, I had a 'clear bra' called XPEL put on the front bumper, headlights and fog lights for protection - it is a large area, fairly vertical, and will take most of the rock impacts.  (Hoping for some aftermarket fog light covers some day for better aerodynamics) 

Now I'm thinking of a front edge protector for the hood if someone makes them in clear; thinking the black ones will make the already short hood look even shorter.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

• 2 weeks later...

BigRed, we had ours done at Metropolitan Detail on Bel-Red Road in Bellevue.  Top notch work.  Quite an extensive process & $$$.  The Opti Coat was $395, after a full wash, claybar & carnuba wax, wheels, tires & interior ($145).  The clear bra was $740 for the front bumper, headlights & fog lights.  Nick

• 4 weeks later...

You really can't get much better than Opti-coat.  I've been detailing cars for decades, and you really can't get much better than this product.  The only thing better is getting another layer of clear coat on the vehicle.  You can do it your self for 70 bucks, and it's not that hard. 

$77 shipped from Amazon.  Man, I hope you guys are right as I just ordered some last night. :drop:   Paint will be about 6 weeks old by the time I get this done.   I'm going to give it a good, good wash/bug remover.  Then move it in to the garage for the rest:  clay bar, fine scratch remover/polish, and then IPA wipe down before application.   Sound good?

Just got home from the detail shop that C-MaxSeattle suggested . Those guys did an amazing job. It was pouring today so I couldn't tell if it was super shiny (moreso than the dealer wax job) but the water beading with the opticoat was impressive!

$77 shipped from Amazon.  Man, I hope you guys are right as I just ordered some last night. :drop:   Paint will be about 6 weeks old by the time I get this done.   I'm going to give it a good, good wash/bug remover.  Then move it in to the garage for the rest:  clay bar, fine scratch remover/polish, and then IPA wipe down before application.   Sound good?

Well I never got a reply so I went ahead with my plan outlined above and it paid off in spades!

F4090FA8-04DB-4341-A75D-81B35623503F-202

D8BBA17D-05F2-4648-8831-7156C376CCBE-202

Below is a close up of the front fender surface from the previous shot above.  You could shave off this reflection!  LOL   (please excuse the garage clutter)

A158750B-00A5-45A2-8EDB-DDD9373AEFC4-202

It took me about 7 hours total which included three washes (one power spray, two hand), clay bar (mainly the front clip for bugs), fine scratch remover (probably didn't need it but it made me feel good), buff out, and finally a wax stripper with hand wipe.  The application of the opti-coat 2.0 was actually the easiest process of all; basically wipe on, wipe off. With the exceptions of the front/back windshields and wheels, I applied it to everything: paint, trim, mirrors, all side windows, lights, grill, etc. using up the entire syringe.  Next, I pulled the car out of the garage for better lighting to give it a final inspection, rub out any high spots (only found one), and admire my results.

C4513340-D7A7-4144-9ED0-9E1C6AF277F1-202

C50F783F-10A0-464F-BF97-A5597F4E8E31-202

9BD55500-3F5D-4BA9-920F-39C745948EAE-202

Although garaged at home, it sits out in the south Texas sun all day.  I try to park under shade trees when I can but that means bird poop so I will be a good test subject to see how well and how long opti-coat 2.0 works.

Edited by fotomoto

fotomoto, the car looks super.  Keep us abreast of how "it" performs, like bug, bird poop, sap, and tar removal and water beading, water spots, general ease to clean and the like.  

I wonder if a clay bar or or auto car washes would affect it's appearance (I know Opti-coat says okay to clay and use "truck" washes). Also, is there any "maintenance" to do like touching up "thin / wear spots" over time and the like. A 2 micron layer is not very thick.  For example, I can see the frontal parts and other leading edges of the car being subjected to more "abrasive debris" over time. Can it be applied over a clear bra (Opti-coat says it can be applied over trim, bumpers, headlights)?  Also, is there sufficient opti-coat left over for maintenance purposes or would one have to buy more?  I can not find any Opti-coat warranty info.  If appears each dealer of the Opti-coat product would offer the warranty.

Since I hate to detail my car or pay someone to do, this certainly looks like a fantastic product to save time and $ by DIY. I think it is similar if not the same product that the dealer had listed as dealer option on the sticker price of my C-Max at around $795 with lifetime warranty but I think you had to take the car in every year for a checkup on the coating to maintain the lifetime warranty and I believe you had to pay for a wash, removal of contaminates and dry and then the surface would be checked free and if needed a reapplication would be done.

Good questions but since I'm being the guinea pig I don't have the answers.  At least yet.  

I think touch ups would be OK since I know I went over some areas twice such as the roof which I divided up into 4 squares.  I had no issues when I overlapped at little of each. Unless you have some leftover solution though, you'd have to buy another $70kit.  No idea on the shelf life but it does have a good reusable twist lock seal for the syringe.  Most folks don't use it all but I kept going finding other things to coat like the side windows and the front grill till I used it up.  

• 3 weeks later...

Back from a vacation to Italy.  Had to drive a 6 sp diesel Citroen Picasso C4, ouch - glad to be back in the quiet & smooth C-Max with good lumbar support.  Moving around so much, hardly had time to check out the Euro C-Maxes much - most differences being under the hood, the grill, and the dash.

Glad to hear the Metro job worked for you BigRed, and what a great job you did Fotomoto.  Looks like we all pick our own poison - $$$ at the shop, or a steal of a deal for the DIYers.  Time will tell how it holds up, but good to hear that DaleB is 5 years into his and doing fine.

Cheers all,

Nick

I have never tried, but I am scheduled to have it applied next week at a detail shop. I have only checked it out online - It looks good.  I am just trying to get off to a good start; and am too lazy to get into waxing routines several times a year.  I saw one video showing half a car done with Opti-Coat after one year.  Expensive, but like an expensive hybrid, I'm looking for it to 'payback' over time (no waxing).  Durability is unknown, but 3,4,5 years would be break even for me - self applied far sooner.  Nick

I bought this and had my dealer apply it.  It looks great and really beads the rain.  Runs right off my Platinum White tri-coat and doesn't seem to spot as bad after the rain stops and the sun comes out and you have all this moisture sitting on your paint and it bakes there.  Usually leaving impossible to remove hard water spots.  I hated this on my black paint job sport truck I used to own.  Clay bar was about the only way to remove those spots, but took allot of work.  Also with this coating it seems my white paint doesn't look so dirty when it is.  But maybe it just seems that way?

• 2 months later...

Fotomoto, your car looks great! How has it been holding up? Does this provide any protection from rock chips? I was looking at getting the 3m clear bra, and got quoted $700 to do the hood, grill, bumper, and headlights.

Thanks!

It's been holding up great but the coating won't hold up to rocks.  Think of it as an extra clear coat with awesome wax protectorant like qualities.   It's been 3 months since I applied it and I wash it nearly every weekend at home with a power washer/brush and it still beads up like a fresh wax (even the coated windows) and bird dropping coming right off.  I can't really tell you about bugs because I also added a clear bra to the front end at the same time to help protect with rocks.  Most of our roads around here are of the chip seal variety that have a lot of loose pebbles.   No dings so far!   :dance:   I have never applied a wax to the car, only the opti-coat 2.0

null_zpsc504242f.jpg

null_zpsa4e92172.jpg

null_zpseec27566.jpg

null_zps4ae76b88.jpg

null_zpsa444234d.jpg

null_zps607515da.jpg

Edited by fotomoto

• 4 months later...

Well at 8 months owned and no waxes, the paint is still looking great on the hybrid after every wash so when I got the Energi the first thing I did was order some more opti-coat 2.0 for it.  I got it applied today.  Same steps as I did with the hybrid except that I broke up the entire process over two days instead of one.  I preferred it much more this way.  I managed the 20cc's of treatment better this time and after applying to the paint I was able to treat the grill, headlights, all black trim, all windows except the windshield and finally the wheels.  

823A89F3-0A44-4373-94E7-9C58B882EC33_zps

0229D4FA-57C3-4B36-9389-10172A794410_zps

611DCF3A-F713-4797-83BD-8F5B2BDD09D8_zps

EBC0A93B-528F-4A11-94A6-E512D4B81755_zps