Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Opti-Coat, any one try yet?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationCanada
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

Your car looks super great fotomoto.  Nice job.  You sure are a hard worker--loads of stone and landscaping and now car detailing.

• fotomoto likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   bigalpha

bigalpha

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 356 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:18 AM

Does this stuff help keep bug guts from sticking to the front so bad?  Our car can get pretty nasty with all of the highway driving we do.

#23 OFFLINE   slampro

slampro

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 211 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationEL Paso
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Escape Hybrid, Cmax Hybrid Sel 303A, pano roof.

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Fotomoto, your car looks great! How has it been holding up? Does this provide any protection from rock chips? I was looking at getting the 3m clear bra, and got quoted $700 to do the hood, grill, bumper, and headlights.

#24 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Fotomoto, your car looks great! How has it been holding up? Does this provide any protection from rock chips? I was looking at getting the 3m clear bra, and got quoted $700 to do the hood, grill, bumper, and headlights.

Thanks!

It's been holding up great but the coating won't hold up to rocks.  Think of it as an extra clear coat with awesome wax protectorant like qualities.   It's been 3 months since I applied it and I wash it nearly every weekend at home with a power washer/brush and it still beads up like a fresh wax (even the coated windows) and bird dropping coming right off.  I can't really tell you about bugs because I also added a clear bra to the front end at the same time to help protect with rocks.  Most of our roads around here are of the chip seal variety that have a lot of loose pebbles.   No dings so far!   :dance:   I have never applied a wax to the car, only the opti-coat 2.0

null_zpsc504242f.jpg

null_zpsa4e92172.jpg

null_zpseec27566.jpg

null_zps4ae76b88.jpg

null_zpsa444234d.jpg

null_zps607515da.jpg

Edited by fotomoto, 28 July 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

Well at 8 months owned and no waxes, the paint is still looking great on the hybrid after every wash so when I got the Energi the first thing I did was order some more opti-coat 2.0 for it.  I got it applied today.  Same steps as I did with the hybrid except that I broke up the entire process over two days instead of one.  I preferred it much more this way.  I managed the 20cc's of treatment better this time and after applying to the paint I was able to treat the grill, headlights, all black trim, all windows except the windshield and finally the wheels.  

823A89F3-0A44-4373-94E7-9C58B882EC33_zps

0229D4FA-57C3-4B36-9389-10172A794410_zps

611DCF3A-F713-4797-83BD-8F5B2BDD09D8_zps

EBC0A93B-528F-4A11-94A6-E512D4B81755_zps

#26 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 974 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSeattle, WA USA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL, 303A, Pano Sunroof, Born Aug 2012

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

Looks great (again) Foto!  Great set of photos to show off the Opticoat / beautiful new C-Max Energi.  Double kudos ( :worship:  :worship: ) for the effort to do both C-Maxes in their first days.  Still loving our Opti, although with low miles we have not given it much of a test.  Washed ours yesterday (easy peasy), then washed our Eurovan, then looked at the break dust on the BMW and gave up - I hate brake dust & wheel cleaning.   Nick

#27 OFFLINE   fotomoto

fotomoto

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

fotomoto, the car looks super.  Keep us abreast of how "it" performs, like bug, bird poop, sap, and tar removal and water beading, water spots, general ease to clean and the like.  

Here's a 14 month update.  It still looks GREAT and beads water just like a freshly waxed car.  Besides not having to do repeated, periodic traditional work (waxing, clay bar, etc), I don't see any swirl marks in the clear coat.   Bird dropping aren't causing any etching type marks (I do try to wash every week, two weeks max).   

Pics are from last nights wash.  

20140613_202632_zps6q9yogia.jpg

20140613_202715_zpsewyjcm0a.jpg

Even the trim and windows were treated and still bead up well.  The trim has never had other treatment products applied (amor-all or similar).

20140613_202742_zpsjkdzrq75.jpg

20140614_092537_zps0xymkrh7.jpg

Paint is still clear and void of etchings from bird drops, water deposits, or swirl marks.

20140613_203528_zpsqsjzfvfi.jpg

20140614_084931_zpsocvq69eu.jpg

20140614_085032_zpsbz8wolsm.jpg

Bottom line:  Thumbs up and I'll do this to every new car until something better comes along.  It was the first thing I did to my NRG.  

Edited by fotomoto, 14 June 2014 - 09:34 AM.

• C-MaxSea likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·