110v AC Inverter

appraiserdude

• 1 month later...

Quick tip, the two USB ports inside the center console are powered, so if your phone charges with USB like most smartphones now, then you can use that instead.

I saw a youtube video report and the reviewer said the USB wouldn't charge items such as an iPad that have higher voltage requirements than a phone.  I haven't tried to verify that yet.   FWIW

Quick tip, the two USB ports inside the center console are powered, so if your phone charges with USB like most smartphones now, then you can use that instead.

It doesn't really charge my phone, but it keeps it from dropping.  I think its just enough current to maintain the battery (I have an EVO 4g LTE).

Edited by zhackwyatt

I saw a youtube video report and the reviewer said the USB wouldn't charge items such as an iPad that have higher voltage requirements than a phone.  I haven't tried to verify that yet.   FWIW

I am able to charge my ipad using the USB ports. It has to be in sleep mode and it will trickle charge. I have taken it from 88-100% on an hour long drive. I can charge my iPhone without any difficulty. Want to use the 110 port but have not yet had the need.

• 7 months later...

Any idea how to tell if a laptop will charge or not in this plug, before I buy the laptop?  I have two older laptops that will charge and a newer one that will not charge, in this plug, they all charge fine when plugged in to a regular outlet in my home.  I would like to buy a new laptop but I need to know how to tell  if it would charge in this plug before I purchase it.  Any way to check the specifications of a laptop and tell if it would accept the square sine wave?  thanks

Almost any modern device should work with a square wave, especially if it goes through a power supply that is basically turning it back to DC. I have used a TV, a CPAP, and a DVD player off of inverters for many years and never had a problem. I would think that a recent inverter should be even better than my old one. The biggest problem I foresee here is the 150 W limit, but what would you really want to run?

Almost any modern device should work with a square wave, especially if it goes through a power supply that is basically turning it back to DC. I have used a TV, a CPAP, and a DVD player off of inverters for many years and never had a problem. I would think that a recent inverter should be even better than my old one. The biggest problem I foresee here is the 150 W limit, but what would you really want to run?

I wanted to use a hand-held vac that won't work in it.

I wanted to use a hand-held vac that won't work in it.

Don't try to use anything with a motor. In fact, it says so right in users manual:

"The power point is not designed for electric devices such as:

• Cathode ray tube type televisions

• Motor loads, such as vacuum cleaners, electric saws and other electric power tools, compressor-driven refrigerators, etc.

• Measuring devices, which process precise data, such as medical equipment, measuring equipment, etc.

• Other appliances requiring an extremely stable power supply: microcomputer-controlled electric blankets, touch sensor lamps, etc."

Don't try to use anything with a motor. In fact, it says so right in users manual:

"The power point is not designed for electric devices such as:

• Cathode ray tube type televisions

• Motor loads, such as vacuum cleaners, electric saws and other electric power tools, compressor-driven refrigerators, etc.

• Measuring devices, which process precise data, such as medical equipment, measuring equipment, etc.

• Other appliances requiring an extremely stable power supply: microcomputer-controlled electric blankets, touch sensor lamps, etc."

Good info but that's my point.

I did test it, and it does a good job of shutting off the outlet.

I have used a back massager, neck massager, and heat pad.  I have had problems if I use them before the car gets a chance to run some.  Some circuit breaker goes off and doesn't come back for a day, even though it suppose to come back sooner.  Not sure if I should take it into the shop.

As far as how much wattage, I have one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CNSPsZ_LnrsCFWLNOgodOEYASA&Item=N82E16882715001&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Home+Gadgets-_-N82E16882715001&ef_id=UnLYYQAAAMcP5QhY:20131207170041:s

It will measure watts, though start up watts seem to be what jumps the circuit breaker and that is tougher to measure.

I started carrying my old inverter that plugs in the 12V for when the car's  inverter is feeling under the weather.