Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Adding A Cargo Net To The C-Max

cargo net trunk

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,296 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:58 AM

While there are places you don't want to go, most of the car interior is benign. This looks like metal structure supporting the rear quarter which should be fine with mechanical stresses (within limits).

If you do a wrap-around, be aware that internal metal stampings may have sharp edged that could cut through over time. A magnetic attachment would be ideal if you can get enough holding force (scroll down)... Have a look here for some ideas; I even see a carabiner-based approach, so you're not far off!

http://www.mcmaster....holders/=ylc5gr

And be aware that McMaster Carr sells everything, so be careful when you shop...

Frank

• JAZ and Red like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Red

Red

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNY Metro
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • My C-MAX's Color:Magnetic
  • Current Vehicle:SE

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

Thanks, Frank -- a bunch of those ties look like great options!

It reminded me that I had some slim velcro straps that just might work. Now I have to try to find them...

#23 OFFLINE   Red

Red

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNY Metro

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:52 PM

I ended up using 6" (blue) reusable rubber twist ties ($3 @ Home Depot) to fasten carabiners to the metal car frame -- one on each side of the trunk (hatch?).  

http://www.homedepot...PK-03/203210604

Car rubber twist Tie - Blue

Since the twist ties hold their shape, preshaping them like a hook helped with threading it through the holes in the metal frame. Threading it took a few minutes since it's not easy to reach into the metal structure behind the cut-out in the plastic molding in the C-max (The photo above is looking up into the cut-out from the floor of the trunk).

The 6" ties just make it through the two holes in the metal support and around the carabiner. If the ties came in 8" or 10" it would probably be better/stronger... but the next size seems to be 12", which for me, left too much twist-tie left over (I didn't want to double it since I don't want it accidentally interfering with the seatbelt which also passes through the metal support).  

Since I used the twist tie to fasten a carabiner, I can fairly easily hook/unhook the cargo organizer using the caribiners. So far, these rubber twist-ties are doing the job well. I'll see if it holds up over time, or if heavy groceries and taking sharp turns ends up pulling the carabiner out of the twist tie grip.

Organizer back Of car1

Edited by Red, 09 September 2015 - 08:18 AM.

• C-MaxSea likes this

#24 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 623 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:13 AM

Good job.

You might also consider heavy-duty cable ties, left in a loop, to attach the carabiner.

Do they still make pipe cleaners?  They are (were?) great for snaking stuff around and through holes.

Cheers.

#25 OFFLINE   Red

Red

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNY Metro

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:05 PM

Thanks, Bill.

I have some velcro straps that seems similar in concept to cable ties (like these ~$3 ones at HD: http://www.homedepot...CS/202261928 ).I'll be trying those velcro straps if the rubber twist ties aren't strong enough. (The rubber ties are narrower and can maintain a hook-shape, so they were easier to thread and fasten in that space, so they got the first attempt).  

I have two kids, so we do actually have pipe cleaners, which I admit, I didn't even think of. That said, while the rubber twist ties seem similar in concept to pipe cleaners (it's basically rubber coating a wire instead of fuzz padding a wire), the rubber twist ties feel a bit more durable than the cheapo craft pipe cleaners we have.

(ETA: Just realized you may have meant to use the pipe cleaners for snaking other things through, rather than as the fastener themselves?)

Edited by Red, 11 September 2015 - 07:00 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 623 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:01 PM

(ETA: Just realized you may have meant to use the pipe cleaners for snaking other things through, rather than as the fastener themselves?)

Exactly.

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cargo net, trunk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·