Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

What goofball engineer did this one??

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FoutsNC

FoutsNC

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 170 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationApex, NC
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

So, I go to connect my phone charger to my 12V outlet and nothing happens.  I figure it's gotta be my charger since nothing had ever been plugged into the outlet.  I then grab my wife's charger, and nothing...  No big deal, it's gotta be just a fuse since I have never used that 12V outlet before.  So lets take a look....

I reach down on the driver's side to the "usual" fuse panel location to find a second OBD port.  Very nifty, but not what I am looking for.  After a little more searching, I figured it was time for the owners manual.  I remembered the images, but I didn't remember the notation of the location.

So I am sitting in the car with my manual.  I turn to the page for the fuse panel and it states that it is located below the glove box.  I glance over and notice that there's not a whole lot of room over there, but that's what it says.  I poke my head down there and take a look.  Nothing... I don't see a panel, or anything, just some black felt-like material covering the bottom of the fuse box.  It couldn't be under that, or could it.  So I strain my neck a bit further and pull the felt-like material to the side so that I can see behind it.  You've gotta be frickin' (PG version) kidding me!!!   :censored:

At this point, I am in the oddest position in the passenger's seat with my legs contorted with a flashlight underneath the glovebox and I can barely see the bottom of the fuse panel up against the firewall!  A moment of joy comes over me, until I try and figure out how I am going to pull a fuse out to check from this position and how exactly this felt-like material should be removed.  I couldn't even tell what the numbers were on the panel.

So, to make this long story a little shorter, I didn't fix the issue.  I am figuring that I am going to have to come back with a dentist mirror and some bent needle nose pliers to get to the fuse I need to see if that's even what's causing my issue.  If I am overlooking a much easier way to get to this, please help me out before putting me through this.. :doh:  I am actually considering going to the dealership to have a fuse checked!  This is nuts!!  :confused:

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   dtorres

dtorres

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 267 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

Pull the felt cover off and it's easier to see the fuse box. It's held in place by two or three clips. To remove the clips squeeze and pull.
  • kc1174 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

I wish I was a "goofball engineer" but I'm not.

"So, I go to connect my phone charger to my 12V outlet and nothing happens."

Was the car on :confused: ?

I can't check, (cmax is mia) I think the front power point is OFF if the car is not ON.

wab

#4 OFFLINE   FoutsNC

FoutsNC

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 170 posts
  • LocationApex, NC

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

The car was on :)  That was the first thing I made sure of.  As dtorres pointed out above, I think I have to pull that felt-like cover off.  I still haven't made time to do it.  I just wish that it was a little easier to get to the fuse panel than it is.

#5 OFFLINE   CNCGeek

CNCGeek

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 309 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:C-max hybrid

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this, I did not know about the fuse location or the 2nd odbII port, will have to go hunt for them later. Myself (after finding such a poorly considered location for a fuse panel) I'd just take it to the dealer and let them mess with it (yeah, dumb, but Ford built it so until it is out of warranty, they should own the headaches).

#6 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

The real problem isn't the fuse panel.

It's IF the fuse blew WHY DID the fuse operate?

wab

• JAZ likes this

#7 OFFLINE   FoutsNC

FoutsNC

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 170 posts
  • LocationApex, NC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Well, I did finally poke my head down there and replaced the fuse.  It was the one for the 12V port and it was clearly blown.  I have no clue what caused it, but it's been working since.   Once I removed the fasteners to the felt-like panel and pulled it completely off, it wasn't too bad to see up there.  There's actually an LED light in the area that does provide a little light from the ambient lighting.  Hopefully I wont need to go back down there again.  The 12V Socket hasn't had an issue since. 

#8 OFFLINE   roninsd

roninsd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 504 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
  • Current Vehicle:Sterling Gray C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Glad you got it working, FoutsNC. Sorry for your trouble, but on the positive side, we now know a little more about the fuses and how to access them.
  • FoutsNC likes this

#9 OFFLINE   kc1174

kc1174

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL
  • Current Vehicle:Audi A3

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

Just wanted to add to this thread where dtorres should have written that section of the manual. Thank you!
So I had to use the emergency tire kit. It blew the 20 amp fuse powering both 12V ports. First point - the fuses they used don't have ridges to pull them and there's no tool. The spare fuse kit I had, had a fuse puller but of course useless with these fuses. Lesson learned - when I get chance, I'll be replacing them all with fuses that pull out. To get the blown one out, I had to use a thin metal pen. Not advisable with the car on so I could see what I was doing, but necessary. Lesson learned - carry a torch. Second point - you'll be lying on the floor out the passenger door so park somewhere clean and dry.
Why they didn't put this fuse panel in the trunk with the other one I'll never know. Rant over. Have a nice day!

#10 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SE

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

There's a fuse-puller tool inside the cover of the fuse box under the hood.

I know, right? Brilliant place for it.

Nevertheless, it IS there. Just, FYI.

• FoutsNC and obob like this

#11 OFFLINE   sixtyeightmk2

sixtyeightmk2

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:13 AM

At least you could fill the tire - I had a complete blow out in Sacramento during the heat the other day. There was a huge bolt in the right front wheel and it shredded at speed around 65 mph. $1185 in damage and a $58 core charge because I wanted to keep my wheel. (seriously there is a core charge for the wheel. made in china btw)

• MintMax likes this

#12 OFFLINE   Roddy

Roddy

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Canada Atlantic Provinces
  • LocationCanada
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

Two questions.

A/   I know where the second OBD port is, behind the panel close to your left knee.  Where is the other one?

B/  Is there a way to reprogram the power ports so that they are off when the key is off?  I would like to be able to leave accessories plugged in, with out worrying about the battery.

Roddy

#13 OFFLINE   kc1174

kc1174

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

Two questions.
A/ I know where the second OBD port is, behind the panel close to your left knee. Where is the other one?

B/ Is there a way to reprogram the power ports so that they are off when the key is off? I would like to be able to leave accessories plugged in, with out worrying about the battery.

Roddy

Hello,

A - the other OBD port is below the steering wheel. Have my scangauge plugged in there. Only thing to watch with that one is any wiring and it's proximity to the knee airbags.

B - which power ports are you referring to? If it's the cig lighter ones in the dash and inside the center console, those are accessory, so only hot when the key's on accessory or drive. The one in the trunk though is always hot. The accessory ones do stay on for a few mins afterwards, but they do switch off eventually.

#14 OFFLINE   BIG ROCCO

BIG ROCCO

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPHOENIX, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

The initial post was a little disturbing, but I learned a lot of possibly useful info about the car in the responses, so thanks all for that.

Edited by BIG ROCCO, 12 August 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   TxWally

TxWally

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 31 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas Via the Bx
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for this thread. "Goofball engineer" is too kind. 

I had a similar issue where my tire pressure indicator came on. Pulled out the trusty compressor, plugged it in, attached to tire stem, push button..... nothing, nada, zip. 

ok, back in car, go to nearest gas station, buy air. 

At lunch I go go to the left side of the drivers side foot well, not there. Under the hood, yep, I fight with the cover for 10 minutes, no legend! break out the manual.... 3 of them? in different places?  

still dressed for work and sweating in Houston, decide to find it online, and fight with it later. I'll just make sure the phones are fully charged when I leave.  

#16 OFFLINE   Zathrus

Zathrus

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 91 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

TxWally...when you get a chance to replace the fuse, can you report back if the fuse boxes contain spare fuses?  Some manufactures store a few spares of each fuse type in spare locations (or under fusebox lid). However, the CMax manual does not indicate if the fuseboxes contain spare fuses. Thanks.

Edited by Zathrus, 08 September 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   kc1174

kc1174

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

TxWally...when you get a chance to replace the fuse, can you report back if the fuse boxes contain spare fuses? Some manufactures store a few spares of each fuse type in spare locations (or under fusebox lid). However, the CMax manual does not indicate if the fuseboxes contain spare fuses. Thanks.

There aren't any spare fuses in there - but - there are fuses in there that may not be used depending on which model you have, or what additional items you have. For example, mine doesn't have factory fog lights, but it has a fuse for them. I wouldn't use them as a spare for anything else though. I leave them where they are just incase. That fog fuse may be working something else.

#18 OFFLINE   kc1174

kc1174

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

Btw, the fuse puller - it's in the fuse box in the engine bay...

#19 OFFLINE   TxWally

TxWally

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 31 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas Via the Bx
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:58 AM

I bought spares last night because I didn't see spares in the engine compartment, or the trunk. I should be "turning my world upside down" today at lunch to do the replacement. 

BTW, bought the multipack since it comes with a fuse puller that I can keep in the passenger compartment. I don't think I should have to go into the engine to replace a fuse each time. 

#20 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 898 posts
  • Locationcentral Florida
  • Current Vehicle:Maximis

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

Um, link to what you bought?  (Because some of us just like to get stuff we'd probably never use in a million years -- I already have things in Maximis I *know* I'll never need but... "just in case", and in a half century of owning a car I've never blown a fuse.  But just when you say never...)

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·