What goofball engineer did this one??

FoutsNC

So, I go to connect my phone charger to my 12V outlet and nothing happens.  I figure it's gotta be my charger since nothing had ever been plugged into the outlet.  I then grab my wife's charger, and nothing...  No big deal, it's gotta be just a fuse since I have never used that 12V outlet before.  So lets take a look....

I reach down on the driver's side to the "usual" fuse panel location to find a second OBD port.  Very nifty, but not what I am looking for.  After a little more searching, I figured it was time for the owners manual.  I remembered the images, but I didn't remember the notation of the location.

So I am sitting in the car with my manual.  I turn to the page for the fuse panel and it states that it is located below the glove box.  I glance over and notice that there's not a whole lot of room over there, but that's what it says.  I poke my head down there and take a look.  Nothing... I don't see a panel, or anything, just some black felt-like material covering the bottom of the fuse box.  It couldn't be under that, or could it.  So I strain my neck a bit further and pull the felt-like material to the side so that I can see behind it.  You've gotta be frickin' (PG version) kidding me!!!   :censored:

At this point, I am in the oddest position in the passenger's seat with my legs contorted with a flashlight underneath the glovebox and I can barely see the bottom of the fuse panel up against the firewall!  A moment of joy comes over me, until I try and figure out how I am going to pull a fuse out to check from this position and how exactly this felt-like material should be removed.  I couldn't even tell what the numbers were on the panel.

So, to make this long story a little shorter, I didn't fix the issue.  I am figuring that I am going to have to come back with a dentist mirror and some bent needle nose pliers to get to the fuse I need to see if that's even what's causing my issue.  If I am overlooking a much easier way to get to this, please help me out before putting me through this.. :doh:  I am actually considering going to the dealership to have a fuse checked!  This is nuts!!  :confused:

Thanks for the heads up on this, I did not know about the fuse location or the 2nd odbII port, will have to go hunt for them later. Myself (after finding such a poorly considered location for a fuse panel) I'd just take it to the dealer and let them mess with it (yeah, dumb, but Ford built it so until it is out of warranty, they should own the headaches).

Well, I did finally poke my head down there and replaced the fuse.  It was the one for the 12V port and it was clearly blown.  I have no clue what caused it, but it's been working since.   Once I removed the fasteners to the felt-like panel and pulled it completely off, it wasn't too bad to see up there.  There's actually an LED light in the area that does provide a little light from the ambient lighting.  Hopefully I wont need to go back down there again.  The 12V Socket hasn't had an issue since. 

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to add to this thread where dtorres should have written that section of the manual. Thank you!

So I had to use the emergency tire kit. It blew the 20 amp fuse powering both 12V ports. First point - the fuses they used don't have ridges to pull them and there's no tool. The spare fuse kit I had, had a fuse puller but of course useless with these fuses. Lesson learned - when I get chance, I'll be replacing them all with fuses that pull out. To get the blown one out, I had to use a thin metal pen. Not advisable with the car on so I could see what I was doing, but necessary. Lesson learned - carry a torch. Second point - you'll be lying on the floor out the passenger door so park somewhere clean and dry.

Why they didn't put this fuse panel in the trunk with the other one I'll never know. Rant over. Have a nice day!

At least you could fill the tire - I had a complete blow out in Sacramento during the heat the other day. There was a huge bolt in the right front wheel and it shredded at speed around 65 mph. $1185 in damage and a $58 core charge because I wanted to keep my wheel. (seriously there is a core charge for the wheel. made in china btw)

• 1 year later...

Two questions.

A/   I know where the second OBD port is, behind the panel close to your left knee.  Where is the other one?

B/  Is there a way to reprogram the power ports so that they are off when the key is off?  I would like to be able to leave accessories plugged in, with out worrying about the battery.

Roddy

Two questions.

A/ I know where the second OBD port is, behind the panel close to your left knee. Where is the other one?

B/ Is there a way to reprogram the power ports so that they are off when the key is off? I would like to be able to leave accessories plugged in, with out worrying about the battery.

Roddy

Hello,

A - the other OBD port is below the steering wheel. Have my scangauge plugged in there. Only thing to watch with that one is any wiring and it's proximity to the knee airbags.

B - which power ports are you referring to? If it's the cig lighter ones in the dash and inside the center console, those are accessory, so only hot when the key's on accessory or drive. The one in the trunk though is always hot. The accessory ones do stay on for a few mins afterwards, but they do switch off eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread. "Goofball engineer" is too kind. 

I had a similar issue where my tire pressure indicator came on. Pulled out the trusty compressor, plugged it in, attached to tire stem, push button..... nothing, nada, zip. 

ok, back in car, go to nearest gas station, buy air. 

At lunch I go go to the left side of the drivers side foot well, not there. Under the hood, yep, I fight with the cover for 10 minutes, no legend! break out the manual.... 3 of them? in different places?  

still dressed for work and sweating in Houston, decide to find it online, and fight with it later. I'll just make sure the phones are fully charged when I leave.  

TxWally...when you get a chance to replace the fuse, can you report back if the fuse boxes contain spare fuses?  Some manufactures store a few spares of each fuse type in spare locations (or under fusebox lid). However, the CMax manual does not indicate if the fuseboxes contain spare fuses. Thanks.

Edited by Zathrus

TxWally...when you get a chance to replace the fuse, can you report back if the fuse boxes contain spare fuses? Some manufactures store a few spares of each fuse type in spare locations (or under fusebox lid). However, the CMax manual does not indicate if the fuseboxes contain spare fuses. Thanks.

There aren't any spare fuses in there - but - there are fuses in there that may not be used depending on which model you have, or what additional items you have. For example, mine doesn't have factory fog lights, but it has a fuse for them. I wouldn't use them as a spare for anything else though. I leave them where they are just incase. That fog fuse may be working something else.

I bought spares last night because I didn't see spares in the engine compartment, or the trunk. I should be "turning my world upside down" today at lunch to do the replacement. 

BTW, bought the multipack since it comes with a fuse puller that I can keep in the passenger compartment. I don't think I should have to go into the engine to replace a fuse each time. 

+1 on above request for spare fuse kit info/link.

I agree that blown fuses should not be a big issue (unless of course you encounter one and don't have any spares). Given the increasing amout of electronics and wiring in today's vehicles (esp CMax),I think a small investment in a spare fuse kit is just as important as perhaps a spare tire (especially since it appears the tire inflater provided by Ford could blow a fuse as was the case with TxWally).

@Kelleytoons Trust me, no need for a link. it's a multi-pack that you might find in a CVS, gas station, supermarket or walmart for less than 5 bucks, but this was it if you want to see http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cooper-Bussman-ATM-High-Amp-Emergency-Kit/20971316.

OK, so once I took off the plastic retainers holding onto the molded felt panel, and removed said panel, then it wasn't so bad. The key was pulling straight down  on the retainers. I can't imagine trying to do this without pulling out that panel.  

@Zathrus as kc1174 said, no spare fuses in there, just empty slots for the ones that were listed as "not used". Really Ford? You guys couldn't give a spare or 2 when they blow out? 

ok, rant over. I can charge my phone again. Although now I'm nervous about why it blew in the first place with the compressor.

EDIT: PS, just for the record, the fuse puller didn't work on the ford fuse. I had to use a key to pry out the fuse. I beleive someone else in the thread above mentioned it. I can verify later the absence of ridge. 

EDIT2: PSS, the fuses do have a ridge, but they are really slim. 

Edited by TxWally

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Help Needed:

I got my 2014 C-Max emissions tested the other day. It passed with flying colors. My  question:  they used the OBD port under dash by the steering column. Upon checking after the test,  is their suppose to be a cover over the OBD port. It seems its wide open to dirt getting in. I don't know if they forgot to put it back on or didn't have one.

Thanks

I've changed the cabin filter twice now since I've owned the car, you can do it without taking the glove box apart but if you do it's a lot of fun for the same reason, by the time I am done I'm usually sweating bullets and I've contorted my body into the shape of an accordion. 

On the Prius and HHR it was a 2 minute job, drop a strut for the glove box and the HVAC box was right there behind the glove box, squeeze two clips and pop in a new filter.  The C-MAX and Focus, behind the center console stack with a torx screw..much swearing involved.

I'm also missing one of the clips that hold the felt cover on but the car doesn't seem to mind.

Edited by jestevens