Floor Mat replacements - Front

wamba2000

I have been less than happy with the carpeted mats that came with the C-Max.  Having had Sisal fiber based mats in previous european cars, I searched to find a similar product.  The C-Max is so new in the US market that most do not show on many websites as an option.

I found an online store that offered mats at www.autosportcatalog.com. I just installed the mats. They went for $124.  My experience with sisal is that is wears like iron, can be brushed off or hosed off easily.

The good: they are custom fit, and lock in securely to the two grommets on the drivers side.  There is a vinyl pad/cover area in the center of the mat which protects the heel and reduces wear spots.  And best for me, they also have some coverage for the "dead Pedal" area on the left, which is a big plus - mine was already showing some soil after only a couple months.

The bad:  color is not an exact match with the Stone interior, they are a tan rather than a taupe color like the carpets.

Sorry about the quality of pictures, these are from my phone and it was dark when taken. 

post-356-0-63053100-1362060922_thumb.jpg

post-356-0-36768600-1362060931_thumb.jpg

I did another search and called up cocomats and after talking with them ordered #54 just for the front. It appears the taupe dots in #54 match perfectly with the carpet color.  

They are expensive but I believe these are the mats I had in my previous MB and they were very high quality.  The guy checked and said the Ford C-max mat measurements aren't in their system yet  He will go to the Ford dealer and measure and include the dead pedal.  He said their backlog is 2-3 weeks fabrication plus shipping time until I get them.

He also said that they put grommets in the driver side to fit over the posts but would suggest not getting the grommets and just laying them over the existing mats for a cleaner look. 

I'll post pics when I get the mats.

Rachel, AFAIK, the C-Max comes with mats the same color as the carpet and snap into the posts.  The factory mats don't cover the foot rest.  

I don't know whether my wife uses the foot rest but I do and it's easy to see that that area will likely wear down rather quickly (my guess less than 75 k miles).  Secondly, the factory mats don't have a heel plate either for your right foot, so that area will also likely wear down quickly.

I have used sisal /coco mats in several prior vehicles and like wamba says they "wear like iron" and are easy to clean even with a pressure washer.  I hope the ones I'm getting are of the same quality.  To give you an idea I had a set of sisal mats in another car that after about 200 k miles the driver's side was finally starting to wear with the rubber heel plate coming loose.  

Wow. My cmax came with rubber mats also. Black. Oh well. They were free! I am all over that.

The rubber ones are part of the interior protection package.  Includes a rubber liner for the cargo area as well.

From Ford website they cost 170, so good deal if you got it for free!

Also, relevant info from manual:

WARNING: Always use floor mats that are designed to fit the

footwell of your vehicle. Only use floor mats that leave the pedal

area unobstructed. Only use floor mats that are firmly secured to

retention posts so that they cannot slip out of position and interfere

with the pedals or impair safe operation of your vehicle in other ways.

• Pedals that cannot move freely can cause loss of vehicle control and

increase the risk of serious personal injury.

• Always make sure that the floor mats are properly attached to the

retention posts in the carpet that are supplied with your vehicle.

Floor mats must be properly secured to both retention posts to

ensure mats do not shift out of position.

• Never place floor mats or any other covering in the vehicle footwell

that cannot be properly secured to prevent them from moving and

interfering with the pedals or the ability to control the vehicle.

• Never place floor mats or any other covering on top of already

installed floor mats. Floor mats should always rest on top of the

vehicle carpeting surface and not another floor mat or other

covering. Additional floor mats or any other covering will reduce the

pedal clearance and potentially interfere with pedal operation.

• Check attachment of floor mats on a regular basis. Always properly

reinstall and secure floor mats that have been removed for cleaning

or replacement.

• Always make sure that objects cannot fall into the driver footwell

while the vehicle is moving. Objects that are loose can become

trapped under the pedals causing a loss of vehicle control.

• Failure to properly follow floor mat installation or attachment

instructions can potentially cause interference with pedal operation

causing loss of control of vehicle.

• To install floor mats, position the floor mat so that the eyelet is over

the retention post and press down to lock in.

• To remove the floor mat, reverse the installation procedure.

Ya - I'm seeing wear on the dead pedal area after a few months.  The sisal mats sound great but sounds like they are best for the sunny south zones.

Anyone come up with something better than the C-Max rubbers for the snow and slush we have around for a few more weeks?? 

Tree, there is another thread where people bought the WeatherTech mats, which I think cover the dead pedal and contain melted snow, rain, etc.

BTW, I had Sisal and coc mats when I lived in Minnesota, they do have limits on holding moisture, but they dried out fine and look less industrial than the rubber style.  It's all about what function and look you need.

Only regret so far is not getting a darker color than the tan, but I will live with it.

I'm using the Ford rubber mats but I also made my own cover for the dead pedal area. I just carved out a section of a rubber stair tread that I bought at Menards (a regional big box home improvement chain here in the upper midwest). The tread has a lip that wraps around the side of the dead pedal platform and a non-skid texture on the surface. It extends all of the way up to where the dead pedal meets the wall. I'm holding it in place with some double stick carpet tape. So far, so good.

I went with WeatherTech All-Weather front mats.  $69.95 delivered.  Have had them in the Odyssey for six years and like them very much.  Here's the drivers side mat:

attachicon.gifFloor Mat.jpg

I like the WeatherTech All Weather best, the rubber look doesn't bother me and the price is right.  Main thing is the dead pedal area is properly covered to protect the carpet.  I bought similar black rubber mats from Ford Parts, but they don't come even close to protecting the left foot area.  I work with acrylic sheets so I custom fabricated and crudely devised a clear covering for the left carpet area.  Doesn't look the best, but it protects the left foot carpet since I sunk the $$$ for the mats from Ford.

Edited by mtb9153

• 3 weeks later...

Here's pics of the coco mats I purchased. The mats are laying on top of the existing mats.  One can get grommets installed free on the drivers side so one can remove the existing mat and snap the grommets in to the posts on the floor. The mats are black with taupe dots. The dots look virtually the same color as the stone interior. 

The quality is excellent.  The fit is perfect.  The mats are heavy and fairly stiff as sisal / coco mats tend to be. The bottom of the mats have a thick rubber backing with nubs.  They should wear like iron and can be washed with a hose or pressure washer.

The only downside is the mats are expensive but I should never have to replace them.   

med_gallery_167_32_52764.jpgmed_gallery_167_32_435389.jpg

Plus3, the Coco mats look great.  I had coco mats in a few different imported and domestic cars back in the 80's.

I wish I had gone to a brown or black sisal mat when I ordered replacements for use with the Stone interior, the tan ones are not a close match.  One good thing, I see the soil that the left foot is putting on the dead pedal area, which would have stained the stock carpet.

I will live with them for a long while, still like the added protection and the look.