What color do you perfer?

• 3 weeks later...

I never thought I would own a white car but loving Phantom in platinum white. Almost had its first "Obie" when I opened the door and it started scraping the 2 tier curb.

I hunted articles on the safest colors and below is my synopsis from about 10 articles.

"Fiesta" colors are most visible - bright yellows and neon green are visible.

White is most visible in almost all conditions except snow - fortunately our snow gets dirty... White is cooler in the summer and winter. It will help in the summer but no solar help in the winter. Take a look at a parking lot at night and see what color pops.

Silver is visible in most conditions except fog and drizzle (Michigan gray days). Also silver is the most common color picked by those over 55. Hides dirt better than most colors.

Red is only visible in bright sun. In shade and at night it starts to look black. Also, the most common color blind gene is the red/green issue

Despite common opinion, red cars do not get stopped by police more often than other color cars. (My Probe was candy apple red and never was stopped.)

Green is good in snow but gets lost in wooded areas - think Subaru green...

Black cars have a higher accident rate compared to matched drivers with white cars they are also warmer in the sun(summer and winter)

Other dark cars are similar to black.

So, I went with the Platinum white. Phantom is happy to be part of the family.

I never thought I would own a white car but loving Phantom in platinum white. Almost had its first "Obie" when I opened the door and it started scraping the 2 tier curb.

I hunted articles on the safest colors and below is my synopsis from about 10 articles.

White is most visible in almost all conditions except snow - fortunately our snow gets dirty... White is cooler in the summer and winter. It will help in the summer but no solar help in the winter. Take a look at a parking lot at night and see what color pops.

Silver is visible in most conditions except fog and drizzle (Michigan gray days). Also silver is the most common color picked by those over 55. Hides dirt better than most colors.

Red is only visible in bright sun. In shade and at night it starts to look black. Also, the most common color blind gene is the red/green issue

Despite common opinion, red cars do not get stopped by police more often than other color cars. (My Probe was candy apple red and never was stopped.)

Black cars have a higher accident rate compared to matched drivers with white cars they are also warmer in the sun(summer and winter)

The best color to get depends upon your priorities. There are looks, and there are practical considerations.

There are colors that look great rolling off of the lot, but they can be more costly up front and in the long run. If you are considering any of the tricoat paint colors, you pay extra up front. If you get a scratch and want to keep your car looking like new, the available touch up kit will not fully restore to the paint and layer it properly. If you get it fixed by a professional, it costs more for the tricoat restoration.

I went with Oxford White. As said above about being a "cooler" color, in the hot Florida sun, it is the best of a bad situation for getting into a car that has been sitting in an uncovered parking lot at noon. (I use my key fob to open the windows as I approach, which helps get some of that heat out, too.) Second, this color saved money at the time of purchase, which I used to go for the Panoramic Roof. Third, you can only see my repaired bumper scratch (that I did with the Ford touch up kit) by getting on your knees with a just cleaned car, so that you can get close enough to tell where it got scratched.

I really like the way that some of the other colors look when they are at their best, but there were other factors that came into play in my consideration, those being the cost and the heat. Since I could not find a vehicle exactly the way that I wanted it, I ordered (and waited impatiently for) a fully loaded SEL, except for the more expensive paint. So far, so good.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

Gosh, I wonder where my Ice Storm fits in there...

There have been studies on car colors and safety.

Despite the studies, it is important to consider your climate, road conditions and time of day of most of your driving.

We have one white - our new Cmax and a black Flex with a silver roof.

Here are a few to view or just surf the topic.

Furness S, Connor J, Robinson E, Norton R, Ameratunga S, Jackson R, Car Colour and Risk of Car Crash Injury: Population Based Case Control Study, BMJ, December 2003;327: 1455-1456. http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/327/7429/1455

Lardelli-Claret P, De Dios Luna-Del-Castillo J, Juan Jimenez-Moleon J, Femia-Marzo P, Moreno-Abril O, et al. Does vehicle color influence the risk of being passively involved in a collision? Epidemiology 2002;13: 721-4.

Newman M, Willis FN, Bright Cars and Speeding Tickets, Journal of Applied Psychology, January 1993;23(1): 79-83.