headlight mod?

I'm wanting to modify my headlights to include those white LED DRL (Daytime Running Lights) which are standard on so many of the new cars today.  I especially like the ones on the Tesla Model S.  I found a website with a promising possibility.  But the question remains if they can be adapted to a C-Max Headlight assembly and not butcher the lights too much?  Does anyone know if there is a way to get inside the factory lights to make such a modification?  Might be trying to bite off more than I can chew with this project.  I just wish Ford had spent the extra cost per car and made these standard or an option if desired.  I would have paid for it.  Think it looks good, but just my opinion.

Edited by mtb9153

I know a couple of folks who have modified OEM light assemblies on other vehicles, replacing reflectors assemblies for home HID installs, and it is not any easy job.  The assemblies are glued together, or sometimes pressed and melted together, and will usually require some serious cutting to open...  Getting them back together was a challenge as well... 

I would just go with some LED DRLs mounted in the middle grill, they would be just as visible and a lot less painful to install.   Hella offers some very good DRL options that will probably last longer than the knock offs out in the market...

I know a couple of folks who have modified OEM light assemblies on other vehicles, replacing reflectors assemblies for home HID installs, and it is not any easy job.  The assemblies are glued together, or sometimes pressed and melted together, and will usually require some serious cutting to open...  Getting them back together was a challenge as well... 

I would just go with some LED DRLs mounted in the middle grill, they would be just as visible and a lot less painful to install.   Hella offers some very good DRL options that will probably last longer than the knock offs out in the market...

Very good thought, thanks for bringing it up, I  did see some that could go in a grille, but they don't cost much so I'm leary of the quality.  Get what you pay for they say.

Edited by mtb9153

Day light running lights are available as a factory ordered item on fleet purchases only.  For a small fee, the dealer will make this install as well.  I would be interested to know if there is any difference.  It is a nice safety feature, but wonder how much power it uses. 

My question is: Is there a DRL kit that an American Ford dealer can get and install in my C-Max or do I have to have it done not time I'm in Canada?

Power usage a good question.  Must apply to Canada as well.

Canadian C-Maxes have DRL.  Are they added by the dealer or the Ford factory?

I have the SEL 303a package since November, and the car comes from the factory with daytime running lights.  No problems with the battery so far (knocking on wood).  Forgot to say we are in Vancouver, B.C.

Edited by Laurel

In case you haven't searched/found/read them, there are several posts I've made in this category regarding DRLs, LEDs, HIDs, etc.

I'll add here what I posted elsewhere: I've covered the square light sensor, which is located on top of the dashboard in the center close to base of the windshield with a mitten (mitten is now inside a rubber examination glove to prevent sliding on the dash ... add jokes as you wish). This enables parking and low beams on all the time. The only downside to me is the instrument lighting is dim during the day despite having it manually set to the brightest setting. I feel the benefits of all lights on all the time outweighs the drawbacks of dimmed instrument lights, a bit more electric usage and a tiny bit fewer mpg.

Laurel--I don't think I asked you this in the other post but I assume your instrument lighting with DRLs works as it should ... bright in the day, dimmed at night, regardless of manual setting?

I don't have the car yet.  Ordered on February 4th.  The dealer included this as a dealer installed opton and is part of the deal along with the exterior protection package.

I had my dealer apply the exterior protection package.  Keeps my Platinum White paint looking nice even when dirty.  Big plus is bird poop doesn't seem to damage the surface of the paint where it landed from above.  So far well worth the price I paid for it.

I don't have the car yet.  Ordered on February 4th.  The dealer included this as a dealer installed opton and is part of the deal along with the exterior protection package.

Would you mind posting or private messaging the dealer contact info, as I'd like to know exactly what they are going to do? I assume you don't know whether the option will be just simply activating the low beams to be on all the time or adding additional lighting?

Thanks

Would you mind posting or private messaging the dealer contact info, as I'd like to know exactly what they are going to do? I assume you don't know whether the option will be just simply activating the low beams to be on all the time or adding additional lighting?

Thanks

I would think that you could contact the service department of any Ford dealership and they should be able to assist you.

Thanks

This is directly from the C-Max shop manual: 

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

NOTE: The DRL is a programmable parameter for this vehicle.

The DRL system utilizes the existing circuitry and components from the headlamp system and operates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity.

There has been some dispute as to whether this parameter is actually configurable by the service department. 

I have seen on other forums that on 2013 Ford models the DRL programmable parameter is "read-only".

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258795&page=10

Has anyone been successful in getting it enabled on the C-Max?

Edited by ceemax71