Came with paint chips and proximity sensor of another color

nemonik

So, I ordered a White Platinum SEL fully loaded minus the dorkey moon roof.  Waited 3+ months, and it came with touch up paint for factory paint chips on the right rear passenger piller from when they set the rear window I guess, and today one of the passenger proximity sensors caught my eye -- It is white, while all the others match the White Platinum paint.  It doesn't even look painted.

These are things I can see.  What else can't I see that Ford did a quality job one on?

Does any one know if these sensors come pre-painted? And if I can get one and swap it or what?  Or wait, does Ford fix their mistakes?

Otherwise, I've hit 45.6 MPG with it in 43 degree wheather travelling largely highway miles.

My Samsung Nexus when floating just above a dead battery can take out Sync and send it into a reboot fairly handedly too.  IT has happened three times now.

Edited by nemonik

Nemonik, I would think Ford would be quite concerned to hear of these mistakes you've outlined.  Also equally I would think they would be eager to make things right for you, after all you bought a new car expecting nothing but a perfect car and paint.

My C-Max is an SEL and the same color as yours.  We have a 2 stage paint job so thinking you can fix scraps and dings with buying a bottle of touch-up paint isn't going to happen.  If there is any you can buy it won't look very nice once you try fixing the bad paint.  Others on this forum have talked about this same subject of DIY paint repair.

Enjoy the ride...

So, I ordered a White Platinum SEL fully loaded minus the dorkey moon roof.  Waited 3+ months, and it came with touch up paint for factory paint chips on the right rear passenger piller from when they set the rear window I guess, and today one of the passenger proximity sensors caught my eye -- It is white, while all the others match the White Platinum paint.  It doesn't even look painted.

These are things I can see.  What else can't I see that Ford did a quality job one on?

Does any one know if these sensors come pre-painted? And if I can get one and swap it or what?  Or wait, does Ford fix their mistakes?

Otherwise, I've hit 45.6 MPG with it in 43 degree wheather travelling largely highway miles.

My Samsung Nexus when floating just above a dead battery can take out Sync and send it into a reboot fairly handedly too.  IT has happened three times now.

I ordered the dorkey moon roof.  I am 6'3" and 280 pounds.  I know how to park.  Dorkey?  Paying extra for a different shade of white?  Dorkey?  Looks like the pot calling the kettle black to me.

They are arranging for the issues to be resolved by one of the "local body shops rather than use the on-site guys that comes by." I just hope this doesn't get worse...

Otherwise, I love this car coming from my Subaru Outback of 14 years.  My Subaru feels absolutely analog in comparison.  And 44.6MPG into work today largely highway... call me happy.

Sync this morning rebooted while teathered via bluetooth to my fully charged Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  I wonder if it has problems with connecting simultaneously to both my iTouch via USB and the phone. Honestly, if it wasn't for the reboots I'd say Sync works perfectly fine. I'm an engineer so its interesting versus annoying at this point.  Although, the message Sync displays about what it is doing when coming back up from a crash is actually quite funny.  I wish I could remember the phrasing, but the it very specific as if to say this is normal and for your benefit...

I ordered the dorkey moon roof.  I am 6'3" and 280 pounds.  I know how to park.  Dorkey?  Paying extra for a different shade of white?  Dorkey?  Looks like the pot calling the kettle black to me.

You have one inch and 100lbs on me.  What can I say, I liked the color, and bought my last car 14 years ago also white... So, I was looking for albeit small change, but I agree considering how difficult a color it is to touch up I somewhat regret it.  Let me explain why I referred to the moon roof as dorkey.  It is a pricey bit of kit for something that only really the rear passengers could fully enjoy.  But I agree paying extra for special paint felt wasteful.  The nearly 3 mind boggling grand retractable roof on the Lincoln MKZ even as sexy as it is "dorkey" price-wise.  

Sync this morning rebooted while teathered via bluetooth to my fully charged Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  I wonder if it has problems with connecting simultaneously to both my iTouch via USB and the phone. Honestly, if it wasn't for the reboots I'd say Sync works perfectly fine. I'm an engineer so its interesting versus annoying at this point.  Although, the message Sync displays about what it is doing when coming back up from a crash is actually quite funny.  I wish I could remember the phrasing, but the it very specific as if to say this is normal and for your benefit...

"Performing scheduled system maintenance, please wait..."

Yeah, I found that pretty amusing too. I guess they thought a Blue Screen wasn't appropriate. "Unscheduled" would have been more honest. I also have a Galaxy Nexus. I think most people get these reboots though once in a while. I've had I think three in 3 months.

Maybe it was painted Oxford White instead of the White Platinum?

The proximity sensor? I thought that, but it looks nude -- unpainted.  Seriously, like it was never painted.  I figure they pre-paint a bunch of em, and pop em in at the factory.  Mind you, the mount is painted, as is the bumper.  Like Mr. Green Jeans called out above in his post, the White Platinum color at first glance looks well white -- So, why bother. (Well. Other times it pops.) So, it slipped past em at the factory.  Once, you notice it though it sorta draws your eyes to it like a dead pixel.

Maybe, I'm a perfectionist, but when you work the hours I do to pay for something like car.  You simply want it right.  That and I bought a chunk of Ford stock on the release of the C-MAX, and want the company to honestly do good.  I'm pulling for American manufacturing considering the tech like regen breaking was invented here back in '74 with Victor Wouk's conversion, and not by Toyota.

http://www.hybridcars.com/the-great-hybrid-car-cover-up-of-74/

So, as a PSA look for this if you are thinking of buy either White colors.

The proximity sensor? I thought that, but it looks nude -- unpainted.  Seriously, like it was never painted.  I figure they pre-paint a bunch of em, and pop em in at the factory.  Mind you, the mount is painted, as is the bumper.  Like Mr. Green Jeans called out above in his post, the White Platinum color at first glance looks well white -- So, why bother. (Well. Other times it pops.) So, it slipped past em at the factory.  Once, you notice it though it sorta draws your eyes to it like a dead pixel.

Maybe, I'm a perfectionist, but when you work the hours I do to pay for something like car.  You simply want it right.  That and I bought a chunk of Ford stock on the release of the C-MAX, and want the company to honestly do good.  I'm pulling for American manufacturing considering the tech like regen breaking was invented here back in '74 with Victor Wouk's conversion, and not by Toyota.

http://www.hybridcars.com/the-great-hybrid-car-cover-up-of-74/

So, as a PSA look for this if you are thinking of buy either White colors.

Right, I definitely would have the dealer fix and they should do it at no cost to you.

nemonik,

There is nothing perfectionist about wanting a brand, spanking new car to roll off the truck looking like a brand, spanking new car! Without mix 'n' match pieces and paint chipped. Those are the things the dealer is supposed to find *before* you take the car home, IMHO. The dealership should fix it to 100% perfect and give you a loaner while they are doing it.

You have one inch and 100lbs on me.  What can I say, I liked the color, and bought my last car 14 years ago also white... So, I was looking for albeit small change, but I agree considering how difficult a color it is to touch up I somewhat regret it.  Let me explain why I referred to the moon roof as dorkey.  It is a pricey bit of kit for something that only really the rear passengers could fully enjoy.  But I agree paying extra for special paint felt wasteful.  The nearly 3 mind boggling grand retractable roof on the Lincoln MKZ even as sexy as it is "dorkey" price-wise.  

I was joking.  I usually buy the basic car without any of the extras and not only ordered the top package, but also splurged on the sunroof and color.  I ordered Blue Candy and Platinum White was my second choice.  If you wanted white, Platinum White is really nice and a super choice.  You should not regret it one bit.  You should regret not ordering the dorkey sunroof though....... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I dropped the car at the dealers last Wednesday and picked it up late Monday.

I did this after emailing my dealer mentioning the letter he sent me following the sale, and he replied they'd take care of it.

They gave me a Focus loaner and sent it out to a nearby paint shop and it was taken care of, and they did an admirable job, and thankfully it didn't get worse.

The 2012 Focus sedan got about 34.6 mpg, up from the 33.3 mpg it had when I started driving it.  I can say this the Sync system I have in my C-MAX is a world of difference from where it was in that car.  The car was peppy, and spent most of my first day back with my C-MAX unlearning a few bad habits, and re-growing all the leaves lost by the dealer driving my car -- Seriously, it was plucked clean of leaves when I picked it up.  :-)

It is hard not to be jaded, but I bought from a small dealership in "one company town" city.  Let's put it this way, the city has two dealerships: one Ford, and the other Chevy. 

So, I think I'll be sending them a "thank you" letter via USPS.

I've been having problems with myfordmobile.com accepting my VIN.  So, I called their support number, and spoke to person in Dearborn Michigan and not someone in some faraway land.  Ford, if you're reading this please take to heart consumers appreciate this.  Kinda goes hand in hand with buying American.  The support person said they've had this problem with a number of the new C-Max 's not being in their systems yet.  I expect it will be take care of in a couple of days.

Well, I dropped the car at the dealers last Wednesday and picked it up late Monday.

I did this after emailing my dealer mentioning the letter he sent me following the sale, and he replied they'd take care of it.

They gave me a Focus loaner and sent it out to a nearby paint shop and it was taken care of, and they did an admirable job, and thankfully it didn't get worse.

The 2012 Focus sedan got about 34.6 mpg, up from the 33.3 mpg it had when I started driving it.  I can say this the Sync system I have in my C-MAX is a world of difference from where it was in that car.  The car was peppy, and spent most of my first day back with my C-MAX unlearning a few bad habits, and re-growing all the leaves lost by the dealer driving my car -- Seriously, it was plucked clean of leaves when I picked it up.  :-)

It is hard not to be jaded, but I bought from a small dealership in "one company town" city.  Let's put it this way, the city has two dealerships: one Ford, and the other Chevy. 

So, I think I'll be sending them a "thank you" letter via USPS.

I've been having problems with myfordmobile.com accepting my VIN.  So, I called their support number, and spoke to person in Dearborn Michigan and not someone in some faraway land.  Ford, if you're reading this please take to heart consumers appreciate this.  Kinda goes hand in hand with buying American.  The support person said they've had this problem with a number of the new C-Max 's not being in their systems yet.  I expect it will be take care of in a couple of days.

Better in the C-Max, worse?

Better in the C-Max, worse?

Well, the Focus' Sync looked like this

http://carrosmx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Ford-Focus-2012-Sync.jpg

The fact that the "Sync Powered by Microsoft" logo is glued right behind the automatic shifter can be taken as an omen.

I mean where do you start? It is a sea of buttons, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to simply enter in a channel's frequency. Apparently, this is more or less the same system you get standard with the C-MAX SE.  The 2013 Focus low-end system has somewhat improved though in terms of simplifying the button layout.

The C-MAX SEL Sony Audio Sync system isn't perfect, but it is heck a lot better.

And has anyone else noticed... The C-MAX has returned to the front door of Ford?

Edited by nemonik

Well, the Focus' Sync looked like this

http://carrosmx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Ford-Focus-2012-Sync.jpg

The fact that the "Sync Powered by Microsoft" logo is glued right behind the automatic shifter can be taken as an omen.

I mean where do you start? It is a sea of buttons, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to simply enter in a channel's frequency. Apparently, this is more or less the same system you get standard with the C-MAX SE.  The 2013 Focus low-end system has somewhat improved though in terms of simplifying the button layout.

The C-MAX SEL Sony Audio Sync system isn't perfect, but it is heck a lot better.

And has anyone else noticed... The C-MAX has returned to the front door of Ford?

Oh ok, I misread and thought you said different version of MFT.