Installing The Torklift Central Hitch

I installed, with the help of my wife, a 2" Torklift Central hitch on our Energi today. http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/Ford-C-Max-2-Eco-Hitch-Trailer-Hitch-p1080.htm It was fairly easy to do for us 60-somethings, and took about 1.5 hours, with some of that correcting a mistake I made.  The hitch costs $250 delivered within a few days of ordering.  The short instructions were good, although the pictures could have been a little clearer.  (The Prius instructions were also included and their pictures were better.)

Here's how it arrives, wrapped like a mummy.  Takes awhile to unwrap.  The hitch is well-made and painted nicely.

post-629-0-13174500-1362954131_thumb.jpg

The hitch behind the car.

post-629-0-86562800-1362954131_thumb.jpg

I rolled my car onto some leveling blocks I had from my RV days, and also used a jack to make holding it up easier as the wife wasn't up to much weight lifting and holding.  The jack could have made it a one-person job.

post-629-0-50809800-1362954132_thumb.jpg

The hitch bolts into six threaded holes on the car.  No drilling required.  This is what makes this an easy install.  This is the driver's side attachment, with the muffler plate on top of the hitch plate.  Note: Two of the bolts are bit longer and are for the center plate. (Thank you Wife-Unit!)

post-629-0-23291500-1362954133_thumb.jpg

Here was my only problem.  There's a "tab" on the passenger side that is in the way.  It must be bent down.  Well, don't bend it toward the rear of the car as it will likely still be in the way.  Bend it toward the front to fit into the notch in the hitch frame.  As I bent this twice, along with some ballpeen adjusting, the paint came off so I touched it up with Rustoleum after I was done.

post-629-0-33942000-1362954134_thumb.jpg

And here's the final result.  Very neat and tidy.  And the foot-activated door still works (when it works!) - just kick to the right of the hitch.

post-629-0-92012500-1362954135_thumb.jpg

I installed my bike rack and tested the door opening.  Some foam on the vertical frame covered with black duct tape will prevent damage, and the door automatically reverses, but doesn't entirely re-close, upon striking it.

post-629-0-01897500-1363045393_thumb.jpg

So, very happy with this hitch, and we'll now be able to take our bikes along with us, and I plan to also buy a small platform from Harbor Freight for other hauling we might have. 

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

Thanks for sharing.  I can't make up my mind which way to go.  I've heard that roof top carriers can significantly reduce MPG.  I wonder what effect a hitch mount box would have on MPG.  We are planning a long trip through the Southwest this summer, and need cargo room.  I thought about the getting the hitch carrier that you bought, but I think I will need a box to protect our stuff.  About a year ago I saw a slightly used Thule hitch box on sale at REI for less than 1/2 price, but I didn't have the need then. 

I installed, with the help of my wife, a 2" Torklift Central hitch on our Energi today. http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/Ford-C-Max-2-Eco-Hitch-Trailer-Hitch-p1080.htm  It was fairly easy to do for us 60-somethings, and took about 1.5 hours, with some of that correcting a mistake I made.  The hitch costs $250 delivered within a few days of ordering.  The short instructions were good, although the pictures could have been a little clearer.  (The Prius instructions were also included and their pictures were better.)

Here's how it arrives, wrapped like a mummy.  Takes awhile to unwrap.  The hitch is well-made and painted nicely.

attachicon.gifHitch 1 New.jpg

attachicon.gifHitch 2 Behind.jpg

I rolled my car onto some leveling blocks I had from my RV days, and also used a jack to make holding it up easier as the wife wasn't up to much weight lifting and holding.  The jack could have made it a one-person job.

attachicon.gifHitch 7 Jack.jpg

The hitch bolts into six threaded holes on the car.  No drilling required.  This is what makes this an easy install.  This is the driver's side attachment, with the muffler plate on top of the hitch plate.  Note: Two of the bolts are bit longer and are for the center plate. (Thank you Wife-Unit!)

attachicon.gifHitch 9 DS.jpg

Here was my only problem.  There's a "tab" on the passenger side that is in the way.  It must be bent down.  Well, don't bend it toward the rear of the car as it will likely still be in the way.  Bend it toward the front to fit into the notch in the hitch frame.  As I bent this twice, along with some ballpeen adjusting, the paint came off so I touched it up with Rustoleum after I was done.

attachicon.gifHitch 13 Tab.jpg

And here's the final result.  Very neat and tidy.  And the foot-activated door still works (when it works!) - just kick to the right of the hitch.

attachicon.gifHitch 15 Final.jpg

I installed my bike rack and tested the door opening.  Some foam on the vertical frame covered with black duct tape will prevent damage, and the door automatically reverses, but doesn't entirely re-close, upon striking it.

attachicon.gifHitch 17.jpg

So, very happy with this hitch, and we'll now be able to take our bikes along with us, and I plan to also buy a small platform from Harbor Freight for other hauling we might have. 

Nice that it seems to bolt right up.  I love when aftermarket designers do that.  I had one of those on an S-15 Jimmy I had years ago.  Those things are heavy, I don't need a boat anchor tied to the tail of my C-Max

Thanks for sharing.  I can't make up my mind which way to go.  I've heard that roof top carriers can significantly reduce MPG.  I wonder what effect a hitch mount box would have on MPG.  We are planning a long trip through the Southwest this summer, and need cargo room.  I thought about the getting the hitch carrier that you bought, but I think I will need a box to protect our stuff.  About a year ago I saw a slightly used Thule hitch box on sale at REI for less than 1/2 price, but I didn't have the need then. 

Hope your summer plans include driving through Michigan?  If we ever hear anything more and some dates?

Very nice write up arizona!  Thank you for taking the time and the pics are great.  Looks easy.  This looks like a great option for carrying bikes!  

Just curious, did the instructions say you would need to bend that tab?  I wonder of the manufacturer knows the design is a little off. 

Edited by Hatchman

Yes, the instructions say you have to bend the tab and show a picture of the tab - they just don't suggest a direction and I concluded toward the front of the car would be best to take advantage of a "notch" they have in the hitch frame.

This is the link to the C-Max version of the hitch (I also fixed it in the OP.): http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/Ford-C-Max-2-Eco-Hitch-Trailer-Hitch-p1080.htm

Yes, I have the electric lift and its very easy to trigger it while installing the bike carrier or the bikes, so having a padded area for the door to hit is a MUST.  As I said, I used some pipe insulation foam covered with black duct tape and you can see it in the picture.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

I don't see any way to turn off the hands-free liftgate feature, other than not having the key (intelligent access transmitter) anywhere near the liftgate while you are near it.  The manual says within 3'.

Everyone should have an "intelligent access transmitter" for their car at least once in their lifetime!

I installed, with the help of my wife, a 2" Torklift Central hitch on our Energi today. http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/Ford-C-Max-2-Eco-Hitch-Trailer-Hitch-p1080.htm  It was fairly easy to do for us 60-somethings, and took about 1.5 hours, with some of that correcting a mistake I made.  The hitch costs $250 delivered within a few days of ordering.  The short instructions were good, although the pictures could have been a little clearer.  (The Prius instructions were also included and their pictures were better.)

attachicon.gifHitch 1 New.jpg

attachicon.gifHitch 2 Behind.jpg

attachicon.gifHitch 7 Jack.jpg

attachicon.gifHitch 9 DS.jpg

attachicon.gifHitch 13 Tab.jpg

attachicon.gifHitch 15 Final.jpg

attachicon.gifHitch 17.jpg

Was wondering how loose fitting the rack fits into the reciever tube on the hitch?  I had a Smitty Built hitch on another vehicle and it was a sloppy fit when the rack was mounted and pinned in with the hitch pin.  When my bike was mounted there was a bit of play left and right, not much maybe 3/8" at most.  But I could see it moving in the rear view mirror everytime I made a turn the bike would move back and forth with it because of the slop.  Curious what you were experiencing. 

Hope your summer plans include driving through Michigan?  If we ever hear anything more and some dates?

We do plan to visit friends and relative in Michigan some day, probably after the kids are grown, but this summer we are headed south to visit Phoenix and the Grand Canyon.

I guess you probably didn't mean Michigan, since you are living in the Bay area.  We will swing through Sacramento on our way to visit old friends, but don't have time to hit the coast. 

@ArizonaEnergi: Do you have a sku for that hitch? I can't seem to find it on that page, and the linkis broken. Maybe they don't sell it anymore :(

We just now ordered this hitch from Torklift Central.  We could have just driven down there and picked it up, but Seattle traffic isn't that much fun.  I didn't try the link, I justed googled torklift central cmax and it came up.

Edited by 67gtcougar

Was wondering how loose fitting the rack fits into the reciever tube on the hitch?  I had a Smitty Built hitch on another vehicle and it was a sloppy fit when the rack was mounted and pinned in with the hitch pin.  When my bike was mounted there was a bit of play left and right, not much maybe 3/8" at most.  But I could see it moving in the rear view mirror everytime I made a turn the bike would move back and forth with it because of the slop.  Curious what you were experiencing. 

Good question.  My Wal-Mart bike carrier is a 1.25" with a plastic sleeve that allows it to fit a 2" hitch.  It came with a threaded bolt that when tightened prevented any movement.  However, to make the carrier easier to take on and off I decided to use a combination-lock hitch pin on the C-Max which required me to drill the hole in the carrier to 5/8".

After doing this I found the carrier to be very loose when mounted.  So I took some heavy duty velcro I had, and used a couple of the fuzzy pieces to reduce the spacing.  I put one in the bottom of the receiver and another on the top of the carrier insert.  That seems to have worked based on the one trip we have made with it so far.  Someone else mentioned some bike carriers come with anti-wobble devices but those probably aren't sold by Wal-Mart!

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

Arizona, thanks for the pictures!! I am debating whether to do the roof rack or hitch. I already have a hitch bike rack so may just stick with that. I do like the idea of a roof rack for luggage and such. Decisions, decisions, decisions. It's been a long time since I've had a car that wasn't quite a bit taller than I am. Thanks again for the great pictures. 

• 1 month later...

Purchased the torklift hitch four months ago and it has been great for my Thule 4 bike carrier.  I have even pulled a small Harbor Freight type trailer(a foldable 4x8 single axle) to Lowes for a fews items with no noticeable impact on performance or MPG.  Installation went rather easily considering I installed it laying down in the garge by myself using hand powered tools.  Holding it up so the bolts could be started was the most difficult task for me.  So far it has been a great add on for the C-Max. :dogwalk:

Has anyone had any problems yet with the warranty and having this trailer hitch installed on their vehicle?

I've pointed out my hitch to the service people at Ford and they've had no comment.  And then there's this.....

The Magnuson-Moss warranty act is a federal law enacted in 1975 that makes it illegal for auto manufacturers (or any manufacturer of consumer products, for that matter) to void a warranty simply because the owner of the vehicle adds an after-market product to a vehicle. The law states that manufacturers have to repair a vehicle problem UNLESS they can prove the problem was caused by an after-market part.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/after-market-accessories-new-warranty/

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally installed my Torklift 2" hitch. Went fairly smoothly for a one person install.

The instastruction sheets were ok, but man the pictures were very crappy. It really doesn't matter because it's so simple, once you are under there if you can't figure out what to do, you shouldn't be under the car. lol

Pulled the car up on two ramps, and used two jack stands to hold the hitch close to the car while installing.

Made a couple of minor goofs.

1. Started screwing in the driver's side when I realized I forgot about the muffler hanger staring me in the face

2. One center bolt was cross threading, but I was able to take it out and get it started properly

3. I bought a torque wrench specifically for this install, but none of my 13 mm sockets fit it, and I had no adapters that would work. Since it was getting dark, I ended up tightening them up as best I could. I'll get an adapter and go back and check them later.... really...

I'm sure it took less than an hour to do.

• 2 months later...

I was wondering which Thule 4 bike carrier you purchased.  Was it the Vertex or Apex and was it the swing model?  Have you had any problems putting 4 bikes on it.  Thule recommends only putting 4 bikes on a class 2 hitch and the 2" Torklift is a class 1.

Purchased the torklift hitch four months ago and it has been great for my Thule 4 bike carrier.  I have even pulled a small Harbor Freight type trailer(a foldable 4x8 single axle) to Lowes for a fews items with no noticeable impact on performance or MPG.  Installation went rather easily considering I installed it laying down in the garge by myself using hand powered tools.  Holding it up so the bolts could be started was the most difficult task for me.  So far it has been a great add on for the C-Max. :dogwalk:

Yeah - I agree, but the car manufacturers are leaving spare tires and jacks (which probably weight about the same as the hitch) off cars, supposedly for fuel economy purposes

Fortunately I have personally lost 40# over the past 15 months so my car is at net zero! Edited by ArizonaEnergi

• 5 weeks later...