Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

I HAVE FOUND THE ILLUSIVE MPG SWEET SPOT!

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Generalbeluga

Generalbeluga

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 114 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSimi Valley, California
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max SEL

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

I have heard others speak of a "mileage sweet spot" that exists somewhere around 65 MPH that let's the hybrid cruise in ICE mode while charging the battery and still getting over 44+ MPG, with minimal transfer to EV mode.  Well, I am here to report that I have found it and it is alive and well!  Here's the trick:  Set your dash display to Empower mode and accelerate up to about 66 MPH on the speedo.  Lock in the ECO Cruise and watch the mileage gauge for a mile or two.  If the mileage is not above the 43+ MPG mark, drop your speed one click and monitor it again.  Depending on your car, the terrain, and outside temperature, you will quickly learn exactly where you car's sweet spot is.   Mine is at about 66 MPH based on speedometer readings.  I have learned that driving at 66 MPH is more fuel efficient than driving at 55 MPH because the front grill vents close at 60 MPH, increasing aerodynamics and fuel efficiency while, at the same time, the higher speed increase the car's inertial momentum allowing it to more easily navigate the minor freeway inclines without quickly shifting to EV mode.  Try it, you'll like it!    

• robertlane, JAZ, Jus-A-CMax and 5 others like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   RachelnLa

RachelnLa

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLouisiana
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Interesting! Thanks so much for sharing!

#3 OFFLINE   dtorres

dtorres

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

But will Mikey like it ;)  For those of you old enough to remember the commercial.

• Adair and Max Power like this

#4 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:50 AM

Gen - great find mate  :) , its should not be that illusive as I suspect its got to do with a high battery - which may reason why u said to run this 1 mile or 2 in pure ICE to charge up the batts. Like to hear your comments on the battery situation with your CMax and this find as I think your batts are high (above 80%) which is condusive to this condition. I'll certainly play with Maxine tomorrow.

Hey, have you done a run on Box Canyon yet from 118 down to Valley Circle?

• obob likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Hatchman

Hatchman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL 303A Hybrid

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

Do the front grills close by mph or engine temperature?  I read on here on another post they are based on engine coolant temperature?  But great info on the sweet spot, I will have to try it out. 

Edited by Hatchman, 13 March 2013 - 05:35 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   wamba2000

wamba2000

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 202 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationNorth Phoenix, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

General, I will try that, thanks for the tip

#7 OFFLINE   joe

joe

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 196 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Locationvirginia
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Oxford White
  • Current Vehicle:2013 c-max sel

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Driving at 65 to 70 mph, I observed that if the battery was close to full, that the EV would kick in going up hills, providing some assistance to keeping the mpg in the high 30s or low 40s.

• Max Power likes this

#8 OFFLINE   DaveofDurham

DaveofDurham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 568 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationDurham NC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAx SEL

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

General B - You provide the best intel. 

#9 OFFLINE   Generalbeluga

Generalbeluga

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Jus-A-CMax,

Yes, it works best if you start with your batteries charged as high as they can go.  The beauty is that once charged up and you are in the "Sweet Spot", the batteries will continue to be topped off while remaining in ICE (white on the empower gauge) mode.  Haven't made the Box Canyon to Valley Circle run yet as I am retired and have little need to hit the SF Valley (which is a good thing!)  ;)

Joe,

Yes, as you approach a hill, you will notice a battery assist (overlapping raise in blue graph on white KW meter) but, if your speed is correct and the hill is not too large or long, you will remain in the "white" ICE mode for a pretty long time.  As with most things in life, you will eventually drop back into the EV mode but, it will be for a shorter duration and you will quickly return to the ICE mode and your max MPG.  

Hatchman,

The front grill louvers are triggered only by speed and close at 60 MPH.  There was a recent post on this blog with an interview of the Ford Engineer who designed the C Max car and he referred to them as "stupid" louvers.  The next generation C Max may have "smart" louvers that activate on a combination of speed and engine temperature.  They just had so many things going with the new car release that this was not on their priority list at the time, but it makes sense and will be considered in future model years.  

One last thing, this only works on a relatively flat FWY like the 118 in Simi Valey, Ca.  If you are in a hilly area, I would not think this method would work as well.  

#10 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 2,976 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

I have heard others speak of a "mileage sweet spot" that exists somewhere around 65 MPH that let's the hybrid cruise in ICE mode while charging the battery and still getting over 44+ MPG, with minimal transfer to EV mode.  Well, I am here to report that I have found it and it is alive and well!  Here's the trick:  Set your dash display to Empower mode and accelerate up to about 66 MPH on the speedo.  Lock in the ECO Cruise and watch the mileage gauge for a mile or two.  If the mileage is not above the 43+ MPG mark, drop your speed one click and monitor it again.  Depending on your car, the terrain, and outside temperature, you will quickly learn exactly where you car's sweet spot is.   Mine is at about 66 MPH based on speedometer readings.  I have learned that driving at 66 MPH is more fuel efficient than driving at 55 MPH because the front grill vents close at 60 MPH, increasing aerodynamics and fuel efficiency while, at the same time, the higher speed increase the car's inertial momentum allowing it to more easily navigate the minor freeway inclines without quickly shifting to EV mode.  Try it, you'll like it!    

Apparently you missed my several Posts on shutters and grill covers. PEOPLE the shutters are controlled by TEMPERATURE  I watched them with a web camera in my grill connected to my laptop. You can look at my gallery and see the setup.

The shutters are closed all the time at any speed unless the AC is on or the ICE reaches 190degressF. I don't know why Ford is misleading customers.

I get better MPG's (47mpg) at 70degF) P&G  66mph and EV 63mph to 61mph back to 66mph. I lucked out my car will actually go GPS speed 63mph. The speedometer on car reads high one mph. 

Edited by ptjones, 12 March 2013 - 09:05 PM.

• jhritz likes this

#11 OFFLINE   Generalbeluga

Generalbeluga

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

Here is the link of the interview with the Ford C Max and Fusion Engineer.  The sound gets better toward the middle of the podcast:

http://fordcmaxhybri...c-max-engineer/

#12 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,976 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Here is the link of the interview with the Ford C Max and Fusion Engineer.  The sound gets better toward the middle of the podcast:

http://fordcmaxhybri...c-max-engineer/

I have seen the podcast and they are still wrong. I wish someone else would duplicate my test so we can stop disseminating miss information. It only makes it harder to figure out what to do to improve MPG's on our CMAX's. I'm getting close to getting my 5th 599mi or better tank today. Grill Covers definitely work! :)  

#13 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationTN
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Paul, if I can find a long USB male a / female a extension cable, I'll do it (or a cheap cable at Walmart).  My son might have one.  

Again, as I said in the "Ford engineer" thread I have empirical evidence that the shutters were likely open when I ran my grill cover tests at 70 mph.  The coolant temperature was 7.5 *F higher when going uphill with the grill covers on vs grill covers off.  There is no logical explanation for such but for the shutters being very inefficient in blocking air flow or being open not closed at 70 mph.  Here's a summary of coolant temperature data that was recorded about every 2/3 seconds via the OBDII port during my test runs of about 15 miles or so with ambient at 27*F.

gallery_167_32_17847.jpg

As I said I believe the engineer misspoke. There's got to be others that can record a video of shutter operation as they drive. 

• ptjones likes this

#14 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,976 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Paul, if I can find a long USB male a / female a extension cable, I'll do it (or a cheap cable at Walmart).  My son might have one.  

Again, as I said in the "Ford engineer" thread I have empirical evidence that the shutters were likely open when I ran my grill cover tests at 70 mph.  The coolant temperature was 7.5 *F higher when going uphill with the grill covers on vs grill covers off.  There is no logical explanation for such but for the shutters being very inefficient in blocking air flow or being open not closed at 70 mph.  Here's a summary of coolant temperature data that was recorded about every 2/3 seconds via the OBDII port during my test runs of about 15 miles or so with ambient at 27*F.

gallery_167_32_17847.jpg

As I said I believe the engineer misspoke. There's got to be others that can record a video of shutter operation as they drive. 

I think I ended going to BestBuy to get the cable. If you need me to ship you or anyone else my Webcam and cable I can.

#15 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

cablesforless.com

#16 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

I have seen the podcast and they are still wrong. I wish someone else would duplicate my test so we can stop disseminating miss information. It only makes it harder to figure out what to do to improve MPG's on our CMAX's. I'm getting close to getting my 5th 599mi or better tank today. Grill Covers definitely work! :)  

Do you have a copy of your shutter door video available for anyone to view it?  I'd been interested to take a look. If I had one of those tiny Go cameras, I could give this a try since I can capture the footage to my MacBook Pro laptop using Adobe On-Location software I use for my Videography business and store it directly to my 1TB internal hard drive.  I do have a small ball shaped USB webcam that I rarely use anymore.  Maybe I could try that route.  I can't put my HDV Canon XHA1 camcorder out in front of my Max it is too big and heavy plus it cost me $4k

Edited by mtb9153, 14 March 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   Hatchman

Hatchman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL 303A Hybrid

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

I am betting on engine temperature.  The coolant fan on my Mustang turns on by engine coolant temperature.  It has a low speed and a high speed setting, both set to a particular engine coolant coolant temperature, which, btw, is adjustable in the tune so you can make the electric fans come on sooner, or later, depending upon your setup and environment.  Of course, you'll need a tuner or tuner program and a XCal/programmer to adjust it, but won't get into that, and it's a 2005, so the warranty has been voided for years. 

Seems it would be pretty easy to apply the same technology to the motorized grill shutters. 

Just to shut them at 60 mph no matter how hot the engine is doesn't make sense.  What if you are a running full speed, floored, with a full, heavy loaded car, up a steep hill at 120F air temperature and the shutters shut and stay shut while the engine overheats?  Doesn't make sense that they would design it like that.  

Plus, from the real world testing on here, everything points to coolant temp, not mph.  

Edited by Hatchman, 14 March 2013 - 02:52 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

cablesforless.com

Shipping from cablesforless.com was more than the cable.  So, I stopped by Fry's Electronics and picked up a 10 foot one for $4.34 including tax.

• ptjones and JulieB like this

#19 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,976 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

Do you have a copy of your shutter door video available for anyone to view it?  I'd been interested to take a look. If I had one of those tiny Go cameras, I could give this a try since I can capture the footage to my MacBook Pro laptop using Adobe On-Location software I use for my Videography business and store it directly to my 1TB internal hard drive.  I do have a small ball shaped USB webcam that I rarely use anymore.  Maybe I could try that route.  I can't put my HDV Canon XHA1 camcorder out in front of my Max it is too big and heavy plus it cost me $4k

All I had was live video no recording on my laptop.

#20 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

All I had was live video no recording on my laptop.

I just installed the logitech webcam driver on my laptop and will not be able to record (just monitor) as my old 10+ year old HP laptop won't support the logitech video software.

• ptjones likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·