I HAVE FOUND THE ILLUSIVE MPG SWEET SPOT!

Well, you can't think of everything.  I did not try it with just air flow only.  But I don't see why using the cabin blower would affect the shutter operation.  

Maybe MTB9153 can test it.  Although it only takes 5 minutes for me to tape the webcam and cable in place, I don't feel like trying it now.  

No worries - thats an open question for the others then, thanks mate  :) 

Thanks Plus 3 for checking the shutters. For the record when I tested the shutters, they move in four steps starting at 190deg.F to 213deg.F or 6deg's per step. Most of my testing was done at 70mph were they went from closed to fully opened and back down. The shutters operate off the AC being on not the vent. I'm sure someone can try it out.

Plus 3 do you notice any MPG improvement at 89deg.F over 80 or 70deg.F? What kind of WT are you seeing Max?

If all else fails, read the manual. ;)

I got a 30 day subscription for the C-Max service publications (http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/SPubs/).

I found this in the workshop manual regarding the shutters:

Active Grille Shutter

The grille shutter actuator positions the grille shutters based on commands from the PCM. The grille shutter moves 90 degrees from fully closed to fully open and, based on the position commanded by the PCM, is set in 1 of 16 positions (approximately 6 degrees between positions).

During normal operation, the grille shutter may be partially to fully open when the engine is off depending on the ambient temperature. When the engine is started, a calibration of the grille shutter system occurs which typically takes 15-20 seconds. The grille shutter system performs the calibration sequence by detecting the end positions, open and closed. The calibration sequence can begin in either direction, open or closed, and continues until it is successful or a fault is sensed. A long pause may occur between the 2 portions (open/close) of the calibration sequence. Calibration of the grille shutter system cannot be manually requested, it only occurs as determined by the grille shutter actuator. If certain faults are present (shutter blocked or actuator error), a recalibration is initiated in an attempt to resolve the problem. If the problem is not resolved after a calibrated number of attempts (usually 3 or 4), a timer starts and sets a DTC when the timer reaches a predetermined limit.

The PCM communicates the desired position (open or closed) of the grille shutter based on various PCM inputs (vehicle speed, coolant temperature, ambient temperature, A/C system pressure, etc.).

Actually, that makes the most sense from an engineering control perspective but again this now is the third Ford description of how the shutter system operates. When I monitored via the webcam the shutters correlated to coolant temp but the shutters didn't operate consistently between about 90C and 100*C - my point 5. I was varying speed as there was traffic. So since ambient temp was constant and no a/c, speed may have been the other major driver of the shutter operation that I observed and why the inconsistent operation.

In your subscription, can you download and save / print files?

I had this experience too! Except my trick is I get it up to 70mph, then while in empower mode I try to keep the kW under the 3rd notch (starting from the 0 notch) It slows down little by little but you see the mpg bouncing around 40 and eventually kick into EV mode when (it will gradually slow down to around 65). Wash, rinse, repeat!

I think their explanation is illogical. If speed was important they would be closed all the time at least above 45mph for aero improvement, but the ICE is more heat the faster you go it needs the cooling power of being open.

What is illogical about their explanation ? It just says the system uses various inputs, it doesn't describe how they use those various inputs to determine the shutter setting.

What is illogical about their explanation ? It just says the system uses various inputs, it doesn't describe how they use those various inputs to determine the shutter setting.

It is illogical because they say speed effects the shutter opening and closing which it doesn't.

Maybe it does. You have made a couple runs with a webcam.

There is an infinite combination of variables which could exist, and you have tested maybe 5.

It is entirely possible that speed is in fact used depending on the circumstances and that you just never matched those circumstances.

Or possibly there is a glitch, where speed is *supposed* to be used but maybe is being ignored erroneously.

Again, I don't want to discourage anyone from tinkering and certainly I don't want to seem overly harsh.

I just find it highly unlikely that hobbyists with a webcam and a scan gauge we can outsmart a dedicated team of engineers working for years on a power train and performing tests in hundreds of environments with thousands of scenarios using millions of dollars in specialized monitoring equipment with full complete access into every sensor and its source code.

There is a reason Ford didn't put a cheap piece of plastic over the front to increase MPG. With bragging rights and lawsuits and all of the related stuff - if it was truly that simple they would have done it.

In fact - cheap plastic whatnots are EXACTLY how auto makers like to try and squeeze more dollars of profit out of a car.

You honestly think the engineers didn't consider aerodynamics or engine temperature in their design and testing?

My bet is that there is a glitch or anomaly which is reducing the effectiveness of the active shutters which may be improved in future models or possibly in current models with software upgrades. Especially as they get more and more data in from real world use.

Not to redirect this back to the original poster,  but I did replicate his results.  Don't understand why the ICE with what seems to be minimal Battery charging (but a nice, nearly full battery) improves mileage but I did pick up 1 - 2 mpg on last night's hwy trip. 

• 2 weeks later...

I drove 400 miles today.  Most of it in ECO-Cruise on US-15. (Speeds between 55 and 65 depending on the stretch, did not notice much change in MPG while in this range, but consistently 65 is better than 55)  There were lots of mountains and hills.  When In town I accelerated moderately using the ICE for almost all of it.

Average for the trip was 43.5 MPG.  I am really happy with this car as I don't feel I really had to work at this.

Edited by Max Power

I have close to 3000 on the OD. 99% of my driving so far has been less than 60 mph usually 55-56 to and from work.  Life time is 42.7 mpg.  My insta mph gauge is either blue 60+,40 , or 20 charging.  2 days ago did first time interstate travel at 70 mph. 30 mile stretch from Clarksville,TN to Cadiz,KY on I-24 W. That stretch nothing but rolling hills. Here is the cool part. On the descents high 50's on the ascents high 30's to low 40's. Only once did I see the 20 mark and that was on a sharper ascent. This was all ICE with some EV assist but no EV mode.

I'm going to start taking the interstate route to work to see if this continues or was a fluke. I love seeing to full blue bar while in EV mode. I HATE to see the 20 mph while the battery is recharging.

Edited by grggwlkr

• 3 weeks later...

It works, even with a fully loaded CMax...the secret sauce is the high battery. Let eco-cruise regen the battery as much as possible before double clicking down, the best thing is that it works > 65mph!

This was taken on the 101 between Las Posas and Carmen drive...note the speed, note the battery...note the high instant MPG.

8643577144_ccba3b97fe_c.jpg

Used this many times with my trips to Mammoth as well. 

It works, even with a fully loaded CMax...the secret sauce is the high battery. Let eco-cruise regen the battery as much as possible before double clicking down, the best thing is that it works > 65mph!

This was taken on the 101 between Las Posas and Carmen drive...note the speed, note the battery...note the high instant MPG.

8643577144_ccba3b97fe_c.jpg

Used this many times with my trips to Mammoth as well. 

Very neat!  It's flat there.  Also were you travelling West or East? ;)   West bound you will have a high battery from the grade.  

Very neat!  It's flat there.  Also were you travelling West or East? ;)   West bound you will have a high battery from the grade.  

Hey Oxnard - thanks for the confirmation...u know what I mean  :rockon: The picture was going south as I was coming from Oxnard that day and heading to Westlake Village (I think). Yeah, the grade going north is a huge battery charger. Luv it!

I have done both....I appraise all around your area and also TOaks and as far south as Malibu and Santa Monica...spending too much time in the Maxine but its a JOY with the music and I  :wub2:  the beach jobs, with my Hawaiian music and EV mode.

Tell u a story - I was all set to clock another 600 mile tank and then I get a call to go from Cam to TOaks. So I see a Prius before I get to the grade...silly me had to race to the top and spent a ton of gas clmbing that steep grade (but I did beat the Prius....yes.... :rockon: ). That tank, I barely made the 600...that was on fumes for sure. Moral of the story, tuck my balls back in the pants & just the FE up these hills.... ;)  I am sure the ladies here will be amused...got to be good for a laugh at least.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I saw 50mpg going 75mph, (maybe 50+ I forget) took a video of it, unfortunately, my sd card died, so I don't know if that was recovered by the recovery program, I'll post it eventually if it was.

This was on a slight downhill on the 5 fwy just south of the 14. Maybe even level.

Ditto the sweet spot, I had thought maybe the CVT was simply more efficient at 65-75mph, nice to get the high ICE / batt charge info, thanks!

I use the brake to recharge on downhills steep enough, it can be activated with a light enough foot, unfortunately, the pressure required to do so is just a bit LESS than simply resting your foot on the pedal so as to recharge without slowing too much, requires a pretty high degree of touch sensitivity and muscle control.

It would be nice if the resistance in the pedal could be adjusted so I could simply rest my foot on it while going downhill to activate recharging without slowing my speed too much, wife's sister lives in Tujunga, which is a big climb to the base of the mountains, then one loooong downhill back to Torrance.

I've gotten 50-60mpg on that run consistently.

Matter of fact, now that I think of it, I will have to take a look under the dash to see if I can add a spring to the brake pedal so I can rest my foot on it without having to hold some of the weight of my leg off of it...

I've even gotten 70 mpg not on the instant, but on the average, in stop and go traffic, where I was basically just using EV to creep forward, then braking almost all that power right back into the batt, like a yo-yo. Of course, I had to reset the average while already on the freeway, and once I started driving in the city again, that 70 disappeared pretty quick, but it just goes to show how efficient this car CAN be.

I lose a lot of mpg while idling, doing phone calls in the car, paperwork, etc. I think I lost 2-3mpg in a half hour once with the A/C on.

It's stuff like that that makes me really happy to have this car now, because I am actually happy to see traffic, knowing I will get good gas mileage.

Anyone know any numbers of how much more efficient brake recharging is vs. when you're just coasting and seeing the arrow above the batt display? I assume that depending on how hard I brake, that changes the CVT gearing ratios to generate more power? Or is that an incorrect assumption?

Edited by MacGyver

I have seen the podcast and they are still wrong. I wish someone else would duplicate my test so we can stop disseminating miss information. It only makes it harder to figure out what to do to improve MPG's on our CMAX's. I'm getting close to getting my 5th 599mi or better tank today. Grill Covers definitely work! :)  

what happens if the engine gets too warm with the covers on?  Pull over and take them off? NOT!

what happens if the engine gets too warm with the covers on?  Pull over and take them off? NOT!

Not speaking for ptjones, but I think his intention for the grills was for the temps 60F and below. From what I am able to gather (as I don't own any grills), these are removable via velcro so to take 'em off and on, is an absolute  cinch.

ptjones has done a lot of testing here and I believe some owners here have purchased and used the product with some good results. I have no need for the grill covers because here in LA, its summer all year long, well, almost always  ;)

Well, to add my two cents worth, I drove from Washington, DC (Bethesda,Md) to the Skyline drive today.  Out and back on I 66. Up and down the Skyline Drive.  30-35 MPH on Drive, 60 on interstate.  Used the button on the gearshift lever to slow on downward sides of mountains and ECO on the interstate.  Got 55 MPH going out and 51 coming back--more traffic.  Temperature in the 30s on the mountains, 40s going out on I 66 and 50s coming back.