Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

I HAVE FOUND THE ILLUSIVE MPG SWEET SPOT!

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Max Power

Max Power

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 86 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SE

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

I drove 400 miles today.  Most of it in ECO-Cruise on US-15. (Speeds between 55 and 65 depending on the stretch, did not notice much change in MPG while in this range, but consistently 65 is better than 55)  There were lots of mountains and hills.  When In town I accelerated moderately using the ICE for almost all of it.

Average for the trip was 43.5 MPG.  I am really happy with this car as I don't feel I really had to work at this.

Edited by Max Power, 30 March 2013 - 07:35 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   grggwlkr

grggwlkr

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 62 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationMurray, KY
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

I have close to 3000 on the OD. 99% of my driving so far has been less than 60 mph usually 55-56 to and from work.  Life time is 42.7 mpg.  My insta mph gauge is either blue 60+,40 , or 20 charging.  2 days ago did first time interstate travel at 70 mph. 30 mile stretch from Clarksville,TN to Cadiz,KY on I-24 W. That stretch nothing but rolling hills. Here is the cool part. On the descents high 50's on the ascents high 30's to low 40's. Only once did I see the 20 mark and that was on a sharper ascent. This was all ICE with some EV assist but no EV mode.

I'm going to start taking the interstate route to work to see if this continues or was a fluke. I love seeing to full blue bar while in EV mode. I HATE to see the 20 mph while the battery is recharging.

Edited by grggwlkr, 31 March 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#43 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

It works, even with a fully loaded CMax...the secret sauce is the high battery. Let eco-cruise regen the battery as much as possible before double clicking down, the best thing is that it works > 65mph!

This was taken on the 101 between Las Posas and Carmen drive...note the speed, note the battery...note the high instant MPG.

8643577144_ccba3b97fe_c.jpg

Used this many times with my trips to Mammoth as well. 

• JAZ and hybridbear like this

#44 OFFLINE   oxnard

oxnard

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 74 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

It works, even with a fully loaded CMax...the secret sauce is the high battery. Let eco-cruise regen the battery as much as possible before double clicking down, the best thing is that it works > 65mph!

This was taken on the 101 between Las Posas and Carmen drive...note the speed, note the battery...note the high instant MPG.

Very neat!  It's flat there.  Also were you travelling West or East? ;)   West bound you will have a high battery from the grade.  

#45 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

Very neat!  It's flat there.  Also were you travelling West or East? ;)   West bound you will have a high battery from the grade.  

Hey Oxnard - thanks for the confirmation...u know what I mean  :rockon: The picture was going south as I was coming from Oxnard that day and heading to Westlake Village (I think). Yeah, the grade going north is a huge battery charger. Luv it!

I have done both....I appraise all around your area and also TOaks and as far south as Malibu and Santa Monica...spending too much time in the Maxine but its a JOY with the music and I  :wub2:  the beach jobs, with my Hawaiian music and EV mode.

Tell u a story - I was all set to clock another 600 mile tank and then I get a call to go from Cam to TOaks. So I see a Prius before I get to the grade...silly me had to race to the top and spent a ton of gas clmbing that steep grade (but I did beat the Prius....yes.... :rockon: ). That tank, I barely made the 600...that was on fumes for sure. Moral of the story, tuck my balls back in the pants & just the FE up these hills.... ;)  I am sure the ladies here will be amused...got to be good for a laugh at least.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax, 17 April 2013 - 12:03 AM.

• JAZ and oxnard like this

#46 OFFLINE   MacGyver

MacGyver

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 141 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-max SEL

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

I saw 50mpg going 75mph, (maybe 50+ I forget) took a video of it, unfortunately, my sd card died, so I don't know if that was recovered by the recovery program, I'll post it eventually if it was.

This was on a slight downhill on the 5 fwy just south of the 14. Maybe even level.

Ditto the sweet spot, I had thought maybe the CVT was simply more efficient at 65-75mph, nice to get the high ICE / batt charge info, thanks!

I use the brake to recharge on downhills steep enough, it can be activated with a light enough foot, unfortunately, the pressure required to do so is just a bit LESS than simply resting your foot on the pedal so as to recharge without slowing too much, requires a pretty high degree of touch sensitivity and muscle control.

It would be nice if the resistance in the pedal could be adjusted so I could simply rest my foot on it while going downhill to activate recharging without slowing my speed too much, wife's sister lives in Tujunga, which is a big climb to the base of the mountains, then one loooong downhill back to Torrance.

I've gotten 50-60mpg on that run consistently.

Matter of fact, now that I think of it, I will have to take a look under the dash to see if I can add a spring to the brake pedal so I can rest my foot on it without having to hold some of the weight of my leg off of it...

I've even gotten 70 mpg not on the instant, but on the average, in stop and go traffic, where I was basically just using EV to creep forward, then braking almost all that power right back into the batt, like a yo-yo. Of course, I had to reset the average while already on the freeway, and once I started driving in the city again, that 70 disappeared pretty quick, but it just goes to show how efficient this car CAN be.

I lose a lot of mpg while idling, doing phone calls in the car, paperwork, etc. I think I lost 2-3mpg in a half hour once with the A/C on.

It's stuff like that that makes me really happy to have this car now, because I am actually happy to see traffic, knowing I will get good gas mileage.

Anyone know any numbers of how much more efficient brake recharging is vs. when you're just coasting and seeing the arrow above the batt display? I assume that depending on how hard I brake, that changes the CVT gearing ratios to generate more power? Or is that an incorrect assumption?

Edited by MacGyver, 21 April 2013 - 03:17 AM.

• hybridbear likes this

#47 OFFLINE   MacGyver

MacGyver

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 141 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

Trying to figure out how to post pictures of average mileage... wasn't there a thread about long distance mpg? I got 51mpg going to malibu and 56mpg coming back.

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

8667697198_ef6f3122c9.jpg
[

Edited by MacGyver, 21 April 2013 - 12:08 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:40 AM

I have seen the podcast and they are still wrong. I wish someone else would duplicate my test so we can stop disseminating miss information. It only makes it harder to figure out what to do to improve MPG's on our CMAX's. I'm getting close to getting my 5th 599mi or better tank today. Grill Covers definitely work! :)  

what happens if the engine gets too warm with the covers on?  Pull over and take them off? NOT!

• wab likes this

#49 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

what happens if the engine gets too warm with the covers on?  Pull over and take them off? NOT!

Not speaking for ptjones, but I think his intention for the grills was for the temps 60F and below. From what I am able to gather (as I don't own any grills), these are removable via velcro so to take 'em off and on, is an absolute  cinch.

ptjones has done a lot of testing here and I believe some owners here have purchased and used the product with some good results. I have no need for the grill covers because here in LA, its summer all year long, well, almost always  ;)

#50 OFFLINE   Tom

Tom

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 201 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationBethesda, Md.
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Well, to add my two cents worth, I drove from Washington, DC (Bethesda,Md) to the Skyline drive today.  Out and back on I 66. Up and down the Skyline Drive.  30-35 MPH on Drive, 60 on interstate.  Used the button on the gearshift lever to slow on downward sides of mountains and ECO on the interstate.  Got 55 MPH going out and 51 coming back--more traffic.  Temperature in the 30s on the mountains, 40s going out on I 66 and 50s coming back.

• RachelnLa likes this

#51 OFFLINE   MacGyver

MacGyver

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 141 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

Well, to add my two cents worth, I drove from Washington, DC (Bethesda,Md) to the Skyline drive today.  Out and back on I 66. Up and down the Skyline Drive.  30-35 MPH on Drive, 60 on interstate.  Used the button on the gearshift lever to slow on downward sides of mountains and ECO on the interstate.  Got 55 MPH going out and 51 coming back--more traffic.  Temperature in the 30s on the mountains, 40s going out on I 66 and 50s coming back.

I'm pretty sure you meant 55/51mpG?

#52 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Not speaking for ptjones, but I think his intention for the grills was for the temps 60F and below. From what I am able to gather (as I don't own any grills), these are removable via velcro so to take 'em off and on, is an absolute  cinch.

ptjones has done a lot of testing here and I believe some owners here have purchased and used the product with some good results. I have no need for the grill covers because here in LA, its summer all year long, well, almost always  ;)

Jus-A-CMax rub it in about the weather in SoCal...LOL I know it can be like Hawaii allot of the time down there.  Fortunately some of that nice warmth is making it's way up north, we've been seeing upper 70's and low 80 temps over the last week.

#53 OFFLINE   Adair

Adair

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Moderators
  • 1,444 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMilan, Michigan
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL, 303A, built 11.24.12

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Jus-A-CMax rub it in about the weather in SoCal...LOL I know it can be like Hawaii allot of the time down there.  Fortunately some of that nice warmth is making it's way up north, we've been seeing upper 70's and low 80 temps over the last week.

Oh hush up, both of you!!!  :redcard:   We had one nice day in a row last week, then it was back into the 20s in the mornings.

Edited by Adair, 22 April 2013 - 03:46 PM.

• Phil459 likes this

#54 OFFLINE   MacGyver

MacGyver

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 141 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

Well you've got a C-max, it would only cost you like $20-30 to drive somewhere warm, even if that's hundreds of miles away....

One of the great moments was when I realized how little it would cost me to drive up to San Francisco to see family and friends... It's more a question of being able to make time...

#55 OFFLINE   Tom

Tom

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 201 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationBethesda, Md.
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

I'm pretty sure you meant 55/51mpG?

Yes. Thanks.

#56 OFFLINE   oxnard

oxnard

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 74 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

I tried it and got the same results on the same stretch of road.  It does work.

• Jus-A-CMax likes this

#57 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

:yahoo: Yes! Yes! Yes! Awesome Oxnard, thanks for the confirmation - that is good assurance to the rest of our members  :rockon:

:worship:  to the Gen for the original post and his find  :rockon:‚Äč 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax, 23 April 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   Generalbeluga

Generalbeluga

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, California
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max SEL

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

I feel vindicated and appreciated!  Thanks Just-A-CMax and the gang for verifying my findings!  I will continue to enjoy my C MAX and report any MPG saving tips that I find.  

• Jus-A-CMax and Adair like this

#59 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 14 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

I have found this exact same thing in the FFH. With a full battery speeds above 60 return better MPG when fully on ICE. The one I had was broken, and Ford wouldnt fix it, so in my experimenting to try to get anything above 40 I ran across this same exact thing, only not by using the cruise control, but with my foot and watching the instant meter and SOC.  As long as I kept it above 60 MPH, I was able to get the instant to stay at or above 40, but as soon ass I had to drop below 60 and it started to cycle EV, the MPG would sink like a boulder. As long as I kept the battery charged and stayed out of EV at high speeds, it did much better. There was at least a 7 MPG difference between EV/ICE and pure ICE. 

#60 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

I have found this exact same thing in the FFH. With a full battery speeds above 60 return better MPG when fully on ICE. The one I had was broken, and Ford wouldnt fix it, so in my experimenting to try to get anything above 40 I ran across this same exact thing, only not by using the cruise control, but with my foot and watching the instant meter and SOC.  As long as I kept it above 60 MPH, I was able to get the instant to stay at or above 40, but as soon ass I had to drop below 60 and it started to cycle EV, the MPG would sink like a boulder. As long as I kept the battery charged and stayed out of EV at high speeds, it did much better. There was at least a 7 MPG difference between EV/ICE and pure ICE. 

So whats the latest with your FFH? 

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·