Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

I HAVE FOUND THE ILLUSIVE MPG SWEET SPOT!

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   asb

asb

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 262 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Vehicle:cmax se hybrid

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

Freakin' hot here in central Florida.  Park under a tree, if you can.  I don't turn my air down any cooler than 73.  You can increase the fan speed without it eating too much of your mpgs.  But try to go below 73 degrees, and you're doomed.  :)  I suspect the hills are doing more damage to your mpgs than the heat.  It's flat here, and I get anywhere from 38 to 51 on individual trips based on temperature of the outside air and hills.  I now avoid one of the toll roads because it eats my mpgs.  

Also, your mileage will increase the more miles you put on the car.  I just hit 10,000 and it made a big difference.  

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#122 OFFLINE   salsaguy

salsaguy

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,371 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationWhittier, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2012 VW Passat 2.5L SEL Premium

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

what are you setting your ac set point to?

anything less than 100 will be cooler than outside. seriously if you try 74-76 instead of 72-73 it is still very cold. try to turn down the fan speed to 1-2 instead of full blast and use recirculate mode to use the compressor and engine less to help get better mpg on hot days.

How's everyone doing w/MPG's with the high heat. Since I just got my C-Max SEL a week ago it has been 100+ here in central Texas. I just got tinted today, but I know the A/C unit has to significantly eat into my MPG's, I'm averaging only 32.5 MPG's with very careful driving. I do live in the Texas Hill country, and these constant hills have to as well hurt my ability to join you guys in the 40+ club. Maybe winter...

Mark

How's everyone doing w/MPG's with the high heat. Since I just got my C-Max SEL a week ago it has been 100+ here in central Texas. I just got tinted today, but I know the A/C unit has to significantly eat into my MPG's, I'm averaging only 32.5 MPG's with very careful driving. I do live in the Texas Hill country, and these constant hills have to as well hurt my ability to join you guys in the 40+ club. Maybe winter...

Mark

#123 OFFLINE   Noah Harbinger

Noah Harbinger

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 425 posts
  • LocationMetro San Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'm surprised that in almost 5 months nobody pointed out that JusGeneralbeluga probably meant "elusive" (hard to find) rather than "illusive" (deceptive or fake).

Edit: Huh, why did I think the thread was started by Jus?  :finger:

Edited by Noah Harbinger, 03 September 2013 - 09:51 PM.

#124 OFFLINE   JAZ

JAZ

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 353 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit Area
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

Nah, we're jus too polite to have pointed it out...

#125 OFFLINE   DaveofDurham

DaveofDurham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 574 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationDurham NC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAx SEL

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

I'm surprised that in almost 5 months nobody pointed out that Jus probably meant "elusive" (hard to find) rather than "illusive" (deceptive or fake).

The sweet spot was believed to be illusive until it was discovered by Generalbeluga. 

#126 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

....what can I say, I am jus plain weird. But not a woose like Adair though....ha...lets see if she finds this post ;)

:flyaway:

#127 OFFLINE   Adair

Adair

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Moderators
  • 1,444 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMilan, Michigan
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL, 303A, built 11.24.12

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

....what can I say, I am jus plain weird. But not a woose like Adair though....ha...lets see if she finds this post ;)

:flyaway:

Busted  :finger:

• Jus-A-CMax likes this

#128 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

someone told on me....argh.... :drop:

• Adair likes this

#129 OFFLINE   Generalbeluga

Generalbeluga

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, California
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max SEL

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

OK, so I messed up the spelling, give me a break!   :worship: Now, back to the "sweet spot," I noticed that the more I drive the car, the more it seems to "learn" my driving habits and seems to go into and remain in HIgh ICE more easily.  On a recent trip to Anaheim, I noticed that as I approached 68 MPH, and backed off the gas just a hair, it went into HIgh ICE and stayed there for over two miles.  Prior to this, it would "jump" through High ICE on it's way directly to EV mode.  It seemed I could never handle the throttle soft enough to get it to stay in the High ICE mode.  The Anaheim trip was the first time that the car seemed to want to glide in High ICE for a short time.  Only time will tell if the car continues to "learn" what I want and allow High ICE mode more easily.   :shift:

• grandpanooter likes this

#130 OFFLINE   salsaguy

salsaguy

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,371 posts
  • LocationWhittier, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2012 VW Passat 2.5L SEL Premium

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:59 PM

where in Anaheim? as i drive to work there every day. don't have the cmax but would like to know to help my own mpg in my Passat. 

i drive the 5 south and get off the exit where it' the happiest place on earth.

OK, so I messed up the spelling, give me a break!   :worship: Now, back to the "sweet spot," I noticed that the more I drive the car, the more it seems to "learn" my driving habits and seems to go into and remain in HIgh ICE more easily.  On a recent trip to Anaheim, I noticed that as I approached 68 MPH, and backed off the gas just a hair, it went into HIgh ICE and stayed there for over two miles.  Prior to this, it would "jump" through High ICE on it's way directly to EV mode.  It seemed I could never handle the throttle soft enough to get it to stay in the High ICE mode.  The Anaheim trip was the first time that the car seemed to want to glide in High ICE for a short time.  Only time will tell if the car continues to "learn" what I want and allow High ICE mode more easily.   :shift:

#131 OFFLINE   MacGyver

MacGyver

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 141 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-max SEL

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

75mph seems to be the sweet spot for gearing/engine load to achieve 40-50+mpg hwy! 

I've used "Torque" (free android app) to see a numerical instant MPG, including tenths, i.e., 45.1, 45.9  (which I've asked Ford engineers to add/include in next firmware update, they were surprised there was no numerical instant mpg- guess it was an oversight, and other Fords have it? the focus, etc? anyways they tried to find it in the left hand screen...) and thus ascertain the most efficient speed to go up a 5% grade is 73mph=23mpg, and 75mph seems to be the sweet spot (on level ground) for gearing/engine load to achieve 40-50+mpg hwy. 

Seems to also be why mpg is higher the faster you go. Within reason. Well, or within air resistance reason. I tested up to 90mph, and wind resistance above 75mph decreases mpg. Unless you were drafting someone else fairly (unsafely) closely (like within 15-20 feet), and that becomes a safety issue and potentially so expensive that a crash would destroy any FE savings. 

Granted 75mph is risking your dilithium crystals, (getting a speeding ticket) I prefer to set eco cruise at 65.1mph and let people blow steam out their ears if they get stuck behind me rather than constantly adjusting speed in light L.A. traffic or forego cruise altogether, but given this discovery, I feel more comfortable setting the cruise at 67-68mph or so without fear of ticketing and safe in the knowledge that faster is better/more efficient. Sometimes even 70-75mph if I have a front and back door...

#132 OFFLINE   RaPieR

RaPieR

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

75mph seems to be the sweet spot for gearing/engine load to achieve 40-50+mpg hwy! 

I've used "Torque" (free android app) to see a numerical instant MPG, including tenths, i.e., 45.1, 45.9  (which I've asked Ford engineers to add/include in next firmware update, they were surprised there was no numerical instant mpg- guess it was an oversight, and other Fords have it? the focus, etc? anyways they tried to find it in the left hand screen...) and thus ascertain the most efficient speed to go up a 5% grade is 73mph=23mpg, and 75mph seems to be the sweet spot (on level ground) for gearing/engine load to achieve 40-50+mpg hwy. 

Seems to also be why mpg is higher the faster you go. Within reason. Well, or within air resistance reason. I tested up to 90mph, and wind resistance above 75mph decreases mpg. Unless you were drafting someone else fairly (unsafely) closely (like within 15-20 feet), and that becomes a safety issue and potentially so expensive that a crash would destroy any FE savings. 

Granted 75mph is risking your dilithium crystals, (getting a speeding ticket) I prefer to set eco cruise at 65.1mph and let people blow steam out their ears if they get stuck behind me rather than constantly adjusting speed in light L.A. traffic or forego cruise altogether, but given this discovery, I feel more comfortable setting the cruise at 67-68mph or so without fear of ticketing and safe in the knowledge that faster is better/more efficient. Sometimes even 70-75mph if I have a front and back door...

This is new to me, I would expect the C-Max's drag to be heavily hindering mileage at this speed.  I will give 75 a try on my next road trip but so far from my previous trips anything above 66-68MPH drops mileage considerably.

#133 OFFLINE   Edsel

Edsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 253 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL 303A

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

This is new to me, I would expect the C-Max's drag to be heavily hindering mileage at this speed.  I will give 75 a try on my next road trip but so far from my previous trips anything above 66-68MPH drops mileage considerably.

Same here.

#134 OFFLINE   PapaJ

PapaJ

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationAtlanta
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

Same here.

We're taking a trip to FL next month, if you don't drive at least 70 on I-75 you get blown off the road -- most drivers running 80+ MPH.

I plan to to Eco-cruise at 75 MPH, will report FE results (about 700 miles interstate). Hope John Law don't get me.

:judge:

#135 OFFLINE   BIG ROCCO

BIG ROCCO

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPHOENIX, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

I used to drive really fast in my younger days, but now I try to keep my speed, on any car I drive, between 65 and 70 MPH on the highway, in zones from 60 MPH speed limit to 75 MPH speed limit.  easier on the car, easier for me, less tickets.

#136 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,680 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

We're taking a trip to FL next month, if you don't drive at least 70 on I-75 you get blown off the road -- most drivers running 80+ MPH.

I plan to to Eco-cruise at 75 MPH, will report FE results (about 700 miles interstate). Hope John Law don't get me.
:judge:

Funny you should say that I live in Atlanta area and will be going to FL soon. I usually follow truckers going 65mph on I75 and their are stretches of 60mph for construction. A lot less stress and good MPG's. :) Paul

Edited by ptjones, 26 September 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#137 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,408 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

I just finished driving the trip you describe.  Went from Miami to the mountains of western North Carolina via I-75, passing Atlanta.  On the way home, I went to Savannah, and then I took I-95 southbound back to Miami.

I used Eco Cruise most of the way.  I found that I was getting around 47 mpg at 65 mph, 45 mpg at 70 mph, 40 at 75 mph, 36 mpg at about 77 mph.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 25 September 2013 - 07:57 PM.

• C-MaxSea likes this

#138 OFFLINE   MacGyver

MacGyver

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 141 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-max SEL

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:56 AM

I just finished driving the trip you describe.  Went from Miami to the mountains of western North Carolina via I-75, passing Atlanta.  On the way home, I went to Savannah, and then I took I-95 southbound back to Miami.

I used Eco Cruise most of the way.  I found that I was getting around 47 mpg at 65 mph, 45 mpg at 70 mph, 40 at 75 mph, 36 mpg at about 77 mph.

Interesting, was it mostly flat? I'm wondering what the average for the flats would be...

And an update to the torque experimentation; the optimum speed may ACTUALLY (at least for my car) be 73mph, the speedo will read 75mph while the Torque GPS speed and OBD sensor speeds consistently read about 2 mph SLOWER than the speedo.

Will eventually have AAA test the car and tell me for sure, but it would make more sense to have the optimum gearing between 70-73mph, 75mph is a bit into redline-ticket-bait-dilithium-crystal-cracking territory.

Which would mean adjusting my estimation of optimum uphill speed to 70-71mph for about 20-22mpg, better than 65mph=18-19mpg.

#139 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,408 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

Interesting, was it mostly flat? I'm wondering what the average for the flats would be...

That's averaging for travel in both directions, which--other than in the mountains--is a slight incline going north, and a slight decline going south.

#140 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

SDM & others. R u guys "blipping" the eco or r u letting it cycle between the EV & recharge ICD modes automatically?

Macgyver = 65 mph up hill is tough to swallow personally, given my last experience climbing the Sherwin grade which is a long a$$ haul up, north of Bishop,CA  really KILLED my drive MPG numbers by a lot vs 2 bar uphill and holding the acceleration there. Anyone else can back up and repeat Macgyver's finding?

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·