Review of Ford's Accessory Side Window Delfectors Part No: DM5Z-18246-A

I purchased and installed the Ford Accessory Side Window Deflectors Part No: DM5Z-18246-A on my C-Max.  These are basically Ford branded "Vent Visors" that allow you to open your windows partially for ventilation but block rain from getting in through the "cracked" window.  My C-Max sit outside most of the time and in Atlanta having a window partially opened can help prevent serious heat build up.  But with the occasional rain storm moving through having a partially opened window can be ugly...hence the need for the Side Window Deflectors.

These were very easy to install as they are external mounted, not in the window channel like some Vent Visors, and adhere using the typical 3M "Red" body tape.  The kit comes with very good instructions and almost everything you will need.  I needed some additional isopropyl alcohol, or rubbing alcohol, for cleaning off the body before mounting the deflectors.

First the Good News, they install easily, they fit well, they are not noisy, and they work...  You can't always say that about any accessory so that is a very good thing.... :)

Now for the things you need to know before purchasing these deflectors...

First, they mount to the rubber gasket above the door windows.  So that they will adhere properly Ford provides a green "scratch pad" for you to "rough up" the rubber surface.  "Rough up" means scratch and scour which removes the nice smooth, pretty, look from the rubber.  If you properly install these it will not look nice if you change your mind and remove them...

Second, if you are going to seriously play "hyper-miler" do not even consider installing the deflectors.  To be able to do their "deflector" job they stick out from the body around an inch and a half.  Those protrusions create four new drag surfaces, I can feel some turbulence with the windows down, that will probably negatively impact your MPG during highway driving.  In city driving at lower speeds when aerodynamics aren't an issue it shouldn't matter if you install them. 

Since I am more concerned about my comfort than the potential lower highway MPG I think they are a good accessory....

A few pictures:

8552647888_cf25c9d0c7_c.jpg
Driver's Side Front

8551545977_c22261125b_c.jpg
Driver's Side Rear Quarter

8552646370_47d02bf068_c.jpg
Drivers' Side Rear

8551545205_7124e5731c_c.jpg
Passenger Side Front

8552647140_80739f4b4e_c.jpg
Passenger Side rear quarter

8551544411_b4e6cb66f8_c.jpg
Passenger Side Rear

8552648836_dde994b447_c.jpg
Just A Nice Picture... :)

Edited by RedLdr1

I usually always install the wind deflectors on our vehicles as well for the same reasons you do.  I have found that WeatherTech makes some really nice deflectors in comparison to most other brands.  The thing I like most is that they use the actual window channel to install.  Unfortunately, they do not have them just yet.  I have emailed them and it looks like they will have them before too long.  I think their setup will probably cause just a little less drag than the Ford setup.  They do look good though :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have not done a lot of highway driving since the install....  And it may be a while before I do another long road trip with the C-Max.  But since my "mixed" driving MPG are steadily increasing, along with the warmer weather, it does not appear that they have had much impact.  Even if it is a couple miles per gallon highway it will be more than offset by the savings around Hotlanta in the summer.

Installed mine this weekend.  They are the same part# used by the OP.  Easy install, with the worst part being the application of the 3M adhesion promoter.  The next big thing is that it really helps to have a 2nd set of hands to help hold things in place while you peel the backing off the 3M tape.  That 2nd set of hands also helps keep things aligned during application.

Pics can be found in my Members Journal.  I drove around and did notice a little bit more noise than usual with the windows cracked/ open.  It does not seem like anymore noise than is created by any other window vent visors, so I am satisfied.

• 5 months later...

I usually always install the wind deflectors on our vehicles as well for the same reasons you do.  I have found that WeatherTech makes some really nice deflectors in comparison to most other brands.  The thing I like most is that they use the actual window channel to install.  Unfortunately, they do not have them just yet.  I have emailed them and it looks like they will have them before too long.  I think their setup will probably cause just a little less drag than the Ford setup.  They do look good though :)

Hope you have patience!  Weather Tech often is very  "sloooow" to respond and engineer their Window Vent Shades for new Model vehicles.  Could be a year or longer since they are molded in Germany and then the prototypes are shipped to the U.S. for final fitting and approval.  Also, if you choose to apply Window Tint Film, the Weather tech Window Vent Shades since they fit tightly into the Window Channel of the door frame often causes rubbing and eventual problems with the Tint Film. Been their, done that.

This fellow just had some installed, not sure of the brand.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2475-what-did-you-do-to-your-cmax-today/?p=31319

They are the Ford OEM "3M" Stick On Window Vent Shades.

I purchased and installed the Ford Accessory Side Window Deflectors Part No: DM5Z-18246-A on my C-Max.  These are basically Ford branded "Vent Visors" that allow you to open your windows partially for ventilation but block rain from getting in through the "cracked" window.  My C-Max sit outside most of the time and in Atlanta having a window partially opened can help prevent serious heat build up.  But with the occasional rain storm moving through having a partially opened window can be ugly...hence the need for the Side Window Deflectors.

These were very easy to install as they are external mounted, not in the window channel like some Vent Visors, and adhere using the typical 3M "Red" body tape.  The kit comes with very good instructions and almost everything you will need.  I needed some additional isopropyl alcohol, or rubbing alcohol, for cleaning off the body before mounting the deflectors.

First the Good News, they install easily, they fit well, they are not noisy, and they work...  You can't always say that about any accessory so that is a very good thing.... :)

Now for the things you need to know before purchasing these deflectors...

First, they mount to the rubber gasket above the door windows.  So that they will adhere properly Ford provides a green "scratch pad" for you to "rough up" the rubber surface.  "Rough up" means scratch and scour which removes the nice smooth, pretty, look from the rubber.  If you properly install these it will not look nice if you change your mind and remove them...

Second, if you are going to seriously play "hyper-miler" do not even consider installing the deflectors.  To be able to do their "deflector" job they stick out from the body around an inch and a half.  Those protrusions create four new drag surfaces, I can feel some turbulence with the windows down, that will probably negatively impact your MPG during highway driving.  In city driving at lower speeds when aerodynamics aren't an issue it shouldn't matter if you install them. 

Since I am more concerned about my comfort than the potential lower highway MPG I think they are a good accessory....

A few pictures:

8552647888_cf25c9d0c7_c.jpg

Driver's Side Front

8551545977_c22261125b_c.jpg

Driver's Side Rear Quarter

8552646370_47d02bf068_c.jpg

Drivers' Side Rear

8551545205_7124e5731c_c.jpg

Passenger Side Front

8552647140_80739f4b4e_c.jpg

Passenger Side rear quarter

8551544411_b4e6cb66f8_c.jpg

Passenger Side Rear

8552648836_dde994b447_c.jpg

Just A Nice Picture... :)

I too installed the Ford OEM Window Vent Shades as well as the C-MAX Bumper Protector Applique as soon as I took the Vehicle home after purchase.  Since I have installed the "VentShade/Lund" 3M stick on Window Vent Shades on a dozen previous vehicles I simply tore the carton open, removed them from the plastic packaging and slapped them on!  After I carefully applied all (4) Vent Shades, I noticed the pictorial instructions that were included in 4 languages as well as the scruff pad and the packets of (sealant activator)?  I`ve always used the alcohol pads to assure a clean wax free surface but never considered that since they were being attached to (rubber) and not painted steel, extra preparation might be necessary.  Read instructions? Alfred E Newman says, "What me worry"?  Usually the 3M 2 faced tape sticks like (crazy glue).  Just like the rule of carpentry, measure twice, cut once.  Better make sure you have them lined up (exactly) where you want them cause once they touch the surface, thats it!  If they are not lined up properly or are uneven between the front and rear door, there is no second chance to correct and adjust.  After a few trips through the Car Wash and they are still adhering tight.  Since Ford guarantee`s if  you purchased them or any other Ford OEM Accessory at time of Delivery, they are covered by the same 3 year/36 month bumper to bumper warranty, if they fail, I`ll bring them back to the Dealership with the Sales Receipt and install another set again, next time (using) the scruffy pad and the tape sealant activator.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'd like to know if these create noticeable wind noise on the hwy.

I have not noticed any extra wind noise with the Vent installed.  I had to replace the right front side when the shade itself snaped off.  The dealer and Ford replaced it, but it was one tint shade off, a different batch number.  Worth the price.  I have not noticed any reduction in mileage, but then again, with a daily commute of 130 miles.  If I am lossing a tenth of a mile/gal, big deal.