Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

EV+ turned off

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SPL Tech

SPL Tech

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 286 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Locationhome
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:c-max 2013 SL

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:32 PM

This is why I love EV+, and really miss it these days, as it hasn't found my place of business yet after the last PCM update.

EV+ is a way to get more EV range out of the car at a time when it's very safe to do so - just before a rest. As Plus 3 notes above, you can't discharge the HVB fully, so there's no danger there.

A little research reveals that EV+ may be a very smart thing to use! This comes from Battery University, reporting on research performed at Ohio State, in conjunction with Oak Ridge National Labs and NIST.

You kill Li-ion batteries by storing them fully charged, and at high temperatures.

Optimum storage conditions are 40% charged.

Sound like EV+ is one easy way to consistently leave the HVB at a favorable charge level to minimize charge capacity loss during storage. That kind of trumps all the other arguements, don't you think?

HAve fun,

Frank

I wouldent take what you read from one source as fact. I have heard so many "facts" about how you should store lithium ion batteries that I dont think anyone actually knows. I have heard reputable sources, including battery manufacturers, say to store them at 90% charged, others say 50%, and everything in in between. The only common ground I have found is no one recommends completely discharging them.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,817 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:02 PM

I wouldent take what you read from one source as fact. I have heard so many "facts" about how you should store lithium ion batteries that I dont think anyone actually knows. I have heard reputable sources, including battery manufacturers, say to store them at 90% charged, others say 50%, and everything in in between. The only common ground I have found is no one recommends completely discharging them.

You need to provide the source of your facts.  Otherwise, it's heresay.  I'd say the Oak Ridge boys are pretty smart and credible.  

Just got a new smartphone and I was surprised that the lithium ion battery when inserted showed around a 50+ % charge (can't recall exact number but it was in the 50s).  

I don't think it's just coincidence that Ford limits the Hybrid HVB operations between 30-70% SOC, normally operates the battery between mid-high 30s to mid - high 50s % SOC (based on my many observations and recordings of SOC) and that Ford's key life tests (curves) reported before show very little battery degradation over several 100k miles.   

• obob likes this

#23 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 677 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:43 AM

I've been an RV enthusiast for years and this 40% optimum charge was news to me.  I'm not saying they are wrong, but isn't "fully-charged=best" the rule of thumb for most batteries?

I'd like to read what lithium ion manufactures recommend.  Or folks like Makita who use lithium ion batteries in their tools.

#24 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,352 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:50 PM

I wouldent take what you read from one source as fact. ... I have heard reputable sources... say to store them at 90% charged, others say 50%, and everything in in between. ,,,

That's why I provided attribution... and I I found lots of sites, but this was the best one.

Every battery technology is different, so it's possible the sources were right about different battery types. This is specific to Li-ion, and from a site doing current research, in conjunction with a major university and national laboratories. Skepticism has it's value, up to a point.

Have fun,

Frank

• Jus-A-CMax likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·