Chips

zhackwyatt

I already have paint chips on my hood and in the glass :(

I guess I'll need to get some touch-up paint from the dealer.

Anyone know anything about fixing the ones in the windshield?  They are very tiny, only about 1mm in diameter, so I'm not calling safe-lite or anything, but I know they're there so it drives me crazy.

• 4 weeks later...

The Ruby Red is a tri-coat color and requires base, mid, and clear coat (that's why there is a premium for it).  I believe Drcolorchip only supplies the base coat color and is the reason it doesn't match.  Also, I doubt the ford paint will be any better since it's sold as one item.  This is why I will not buy cars that have tri-coat paint colors anymore (of course once my cars had 100 k+ miles exact matching of paint didn't matter and I used Dr Colorchip).  You can't truly touch up a tri-coat paint with one coat and using two touch up pens (base and mid) on a small chip will be difficult to still get a good match because it's virtually impossible to blend with the existing paint.

Here's a link where it appears you can buy the base and mid coat touch up pens and give it a try.  The price shown as base includes both pens (price is double the single coat paint pen price).

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

The Ruby Red is a tri-coat color and requires base, mid, and clear coat (that's why there is a premium for it).  I believe Drcolorchip only supplies the base coat color and is the reason it doesn't match.  Also, I doubt the ford paint will be any better since it's sold as one item.  This is why I will not buy cars that have tri-coat paint colors anymore (of course once my cars had 100 k+ miles exact matching of paint didn't matter and I used Dr Colorchip).  You can't truly touch up a tri-coat paint with one coat and using two touch up pens (base and mid) on a small chip will be difficult to still get a good match because it's virtually impossible to blend with the existing paint.

Here's a link where it appears you can buy the base and mid coat touch up pens and give it a try.  The price shown as base includes both pens (price is double the single coat paint pen price).

Are you sure about that?

I'm know next to nil about paint, but it's listed as a metallic tinted color.  It's cheaper than the white platinum, which is a tri-coat.

I'm thinking it's closer to a dual coat?

In any case, the Dr. Colorchip paint matched perfect just by comparing the bottle to the car.  I'm hoping a second coat would help, I just don't think I got enough paint on it.

My concern with using a touch up pen (which I did buy from Ford before I found the Dr. Colorchip) is that I'll end up with a blob on the hood, and I'm not about to wet sand it.

Are you sure about that?

I'm know next to nil about paint, but it's listed as a metallic tinted color.  It's cheaper than the white platinum, which is a tri-coat.

I'm thinking it's closer to a dual coat?

In any case, the Dr. Colorchip paint matched perfect just by comparing the bottle to the car.  I'm hoping a second coat would help, I just don't think I got enough paint on it.

My concern with using a touch up pen (which I did buy from Ford before I found the Dr. Colorchip) is that I'll end up with a blob on the hood, and I'm not about to wet sand it.

All I can say is the link I provided above shows it as a tri-coat color and so does this link with the message below.  

I've used Dr Color chip on two vehicles with tri-coat paint and from 3-4 feet small chips blend in very well but up close I could always see the difference in color.  Both the vehicles were a white pearl type tri-coat and maybe ruby red will not be as noticeable.  I do like Dr Color chip as it works much better than the pens.   It appears that the new link I provided has it in a touch up bottle probably with a small brush applicator much like the Ford touch up paint.

Choose Size (2013 Ford C-Max Ruby Red Metallic)

Note: Tri-coat color chosen.

Both a groundcoat and a midcoat of the selected container will be shipped.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

All I can say is the link I provided above shows it as a tri-coat color and so does this link with the message below.  

I've used Dr Color chip on two vehicles with tri-coat paint and from 3-4 feet small chips blend in very well but up close I could always see the difference in color.  Both the vehicles were a white pearl type tri-coat and maybe ruby red will not be as noticeable.  I do like Dr Color chip as it works much better than the pens.   It appears that the new link I provided has it in a touch up bottle probably with a small brush applicator much like the Ford touch up paint.

Choose Size (2013 Ford C-Max Ruby Red Metallic)

Note: Tri-coat color chosen.

Both a groundcoat and a midcoat of the selected container will be shipped.

I'll try a second coat this weekend.  I have to wash the whole car again because it got sand blasted in a storm yesterday.  My before pictures came out but the afters didn't, I'm thinking because the light changed.  I'll try again.