Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Block heaters and mileage

Block heater mileage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jkngale

jkngale

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 20 posts
  • Region:Canada Atlantic Provinces
  • LocationMurray Harbour, PEI
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'm wondering - would a block heater improve my mileage enough to warrant using the home electric to run it? It was cold today, and I noticed that it affected my mileage quite a bit. I kept the heater off for the shorter trips, but the ICE still kicked in on startup - I presume to get things under the hood heated up.

I'd also love a plug-in option to get the cabin heated before getting in, like on the Energi. As it is, I'm thinking about running a small plug-in space heater in the hatch which I could connect an hour before I leave, and adding a block heater. Canada can get cold. But then again, would the hit to my electric bill be any more efficient? I'm thinking possibly not...

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 285 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, '02 Prius, '00 Town & Country

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:32 AM

The block heater probably won't improve economy much. The engine has to run to heat up the catalytic converter.

The heater inside the car is intriguing, but you need to find the right kind, as many out there are too hot to use in the car. Our local ambulance company used to keep one in each ambulance and the vinyl floor were all scorched from the heaters.
  • hybridbear and jkngale like this

#3 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 259 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max 2013

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

I am in Minnesota and use the block heater. For the really cold days it does seem to accelerate the ICE heating the car. Not sure how much electricity it uses.

#4 OFFLINE   shaners

shaners

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 127 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationPA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-max SEL

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

I had the block heater on my Duramax plugged into a wall timer and it would come on about 3 hours before I left for work.  It made a big difference on a diesel because they are very inefficient until warmed up.

#5 OFFLINE   MikeB

MikeB

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 219 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

On my previous VW diesel, the frost heater consumed just about 1kW. I used it on a timer, so it was on no more than 3 hours before I expected to drive off, for a total energy usage of 3 kWh.

#6 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 494 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium, 2013 Focus Electric, my parents have a C-Max Energi

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

I am in Minnesota and use the block heater. For the really cold days it does seem to accelerate the ICE heating the car. Not sure how much electricity it uses.

Where is the plug located?? My parents haven't been able to find where the plug is to use the block heater in their Energi. Thanks.

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Block heater, mileage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·